🎵 AotW Ray Manzarek - CARMINA BURANA (SP-4945)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Ray Manzarek
CARMINA BURANA
A&M SP-4945

sp4945.jpg

Raymond Daniel Manczarek (Ray Manzarek) was born in Chicago IL on Feb. 12, 1939 and died May 20, 2013. He was keyboard player of the Doors from 1965 through 1973. This was his third solo album.

Destiny: Ruler Of The World
1 The Wheel Of Fortune (O Fortuna) 3:06
2 The Wounds Of Fate (Fortune Plango) 3:44
Springtime
3 The Face Of Spring (Veris Leta Facies) 4:16
4 Sunrise (Omnia Sol Temperat) 2:14
5 Welcome (Ecce Gratum) 2:46
6 The Dance (Tanz) 2:25
7 Sweetest Boy (Dulcissime) 0:34
8 If The Whole World Was Mine (Were Diu Werlt) 0:50
In The Tavern
9 Boiling Rage (Estuans Interius) 3:14
10 The Roasted Swan (Olim Lacus) 2:11
11 In The Tavern (In Taberna) 2:33
The Court Of Love
12 Love Flies Everywhere (Amor Volat) 2:08
13 A Young Girl (Stetit Puella) 2:54
14 Come, My Beauty (Veni Veni Venias) 2:36
15 The Lovers (Blanziflor Et Helena) 1:16
Destiny: Ruler Of The World
16 The Wheel Of Fortune (O Fortuna) 3:09

A&r Guidance & Direction– David Anderle

From liner notes:
In 1803 a scroll of medieval poems was discovered in the German province of Bavaria among the debris of the secularized monastery of Benedikt-Beuren ("BURANA").
These lyrics, written primarily in Latin, were determined to be the work of renegade monks and wandering poets of the 13th Century. Their words captured a lost world of rebels and dropouts of the medieval clergy; hard lovers, drinkers, on the move, celebrating existence rather than living the meditative, celibate, cloistered life of the monastery.
In 1935 German composer Carl Orff re-discovered the poems. Impressed with their meaning and rythm he composed a cantata utilizing the centuries old verses. He transformed the writings into invocations and profane chants accompanied by numerous instruments and magical representations.
These songs ("CARMINA") were devided into three primary sections: Springtime - the life force renewed; In the Tavern - drinking and gambling; The Court of Love - passion, sensuality. The sections are pervaded and framed by The Wheel of Fortune ("O Fortuna") perpetually turning, perpetually governing the course of man's existance.
In 1983 Ray Manzarek, long attracted to the spiritual power of Carmina Burana, chose to interpret the piece in a contemporary framework. This presentation intends to create enchanted pictures; to conjure up the ecstasy expressed by the lyrics, an enhanced intense feeling for life akin to the passions and revelry of the wandering poets of so long ago.

Latin Lyrics: © 1937 by B. Schott's Soehne, copyright renewed.
English Adaptation: © 1938 B. Schott's Soehne by Permission Of European American Music Distributors Corp. Sole U.S. agent for B. Schott's Soehne.
All songs published by B. Schott's Soehne-EAM (BMI)

Released in 1983
Reissued on CD in Europe in 1992 (349 945-2)

JB

NP: "Sunrise" ....

Last edited:
I never knew this existed. After a sample of it, I've got it on order.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom