Ray Manzarek "Carmina Burana"

Silentseason

I found this CD recently and was surprised that it was issued on the A&M label in 1983. Was curious if anyone here has heard it and any opinions.

61T91Jt1nwL.jpg

61sZtoLSM5L.jpg

Yes, I have this on CD. It's an interesting "rock" take on a classic.

A couple of decades ago, my wife and I decided to expand our horizons and subscribe to a season or two of The Philadelphia Orchestra at The Academy Of Music. This was back in the Riccardo Muti days and we got to see a number of fine performances.

We also had some friends who had a summer place up in Saratoga, NY, and they invited us up to visit them, and I thought it would be good to combine that trip with a visit to see The Philadelphia Orchestra performing in their outdoor summer venue, The Saratoga Performing Arts Center.

The show we attended up there was a performance of Cark Orff's "Carmina Burana". I was quite taken with the show and the performance and it became a favorite number in the classical realm. I found it enjoyable to follow along with the text in the ancient languages of the score.

When I stumbled on this CD, I grabbed it because I liked the music and it was an A&M issue. Since I also like the progressive orchestral sounds of a group like Renaissance, this is kind of in the same vein with a more classical vocal approach.

Back
Top Bottom