re: Fool On The Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
Back to the original question: "Is Sergio's version of "Fool On The Hill" the most popular? The answer is only maybe. While, as noted above, Sergio's single went to #6 pop and #1 adult contemporary and the "Fool On The Hill" LP was a big seller, did Sergio's LP and single outsell the Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" album?

---Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty said:
Back to the original question: "Is Sergio's version of "Fool On The Hill" the most popular? The answer is only maybe. While, as noted above, Sergio's single went to #6 pop and #1 adult contemporary and the "Fool On The Hill" LP was a big seller, did Sergio's LP and single outsell the Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" album?

You know, Michael...I'm not so sure that FOOL ON THE HILL outsold the Beatles' MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR or not. I do know that Sergio's single version of FOOL ON THE HILL was far more popular than the Beatle version as far as airplay was concerned. Harry can probably confirm this, seeing as he's in the industry and has been for years.

Paul McCartney was once quoted as saying that Sergio had a way with Beatle tunes. He was quite impressed with "Daytripper" -- I believe he called it "sexy and sophisticated..." Lennon's take on Sergio's version of FOOL was that it "brought a great deal of popularity and exposure to the song..." Quite a compliment coming from its writer!

So, as far as the album outselling the Beatles? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. As far as the single is concerned, it did, indeed, outsell the Beatle version.

Jon

All very complicated and a bit like comparing apples to oranges. "Fool On The Hill" was never a single for the Beatles, therefore it never sold as a 'song' on its own. And Magical Mystery Tour wasn't really an album as originally issued in its home country -- it was an EP. Capitol in the US decided to throw on some extra leftover and single tracks to make it an album. UK fans clamored for the album but didn't get one until 1976. And when they did so, they did a straight pressing from the US master which was bogged down with some fake stereo tracks.

Harry
...heading home, online...

There you have it, Michael. I knew Harry would hit the nail on the head. Thanks Harry! :wink:

So now we know that the Beatles didn't have a single, per se, of "Fool On The Hill." It would then be my assumption that Sergio's version is one of the best known versions of the song. I know that when people think of "Look Of Love," they think of two versions: Dusty Springfield and Sergio Mendes -- not necessarily in that order. I think (?) Sergio's version was far more popular than Dusty's. But again, I'm not entirely sure.

One thing can be said for Sergio's version -- considering that everyone and their brother recorded "Look Of Love" at one time or another in the mid '60s to early '70s, Sergio certainly made it into a song of his own. I guess the same can be said of "Fool On The Hill." Again, Harry can confirm this as he's in the industry. I do know that my brother-in-law -- a well-known local DJ -- claims that Sergio's "Fool On The Hill," "Look Of Love," "For What It's Worth" and "Norwegian Wood" were definitely thought of as "Mendes" tunes in their time.

Jon

Steven J. Gross said:
I believe that Sergio's "Fool" is 35 years old just about today?

Wow, Steven! You're right!! How time flies!!! I remember "Fool On The Hill" when it was a big time hit. Somehow, this makes my 40th birthday all that more believable! :tongue:

Jon

...forever humbled, online...

Michael Hagerty said:

---Michael Hagerty
When you think about it, "Fool" done by the Beatles is barely identifiable to Sergio's arrangement. Like 2 different songs entirely!
Jon- Do You Know The Way To San Jose?
(Had to say it!!!) :laugh:

Steven J. Gross said:
Jon- Do You Know The Way To San Jose?
(Had to say it!!!) :laugh:

I'm lucky if I can find my way along a Vera Cruz Vein while flying my Beautiful Balloon! :tongue:

Jon

Steven J. Gross said:
I know I was about 11 when I bought it!!!
But not for the cover!!! :laugh:
Didn't that cause a stir back then? :twisted:

Sergio was hilarious when he mentioned the FOOL ON THE HILL cover to me. "All the big stores like Sears and Montgomery Wards sent these back to A&M because of the boobs! They wouldn't sell the album until we put a big sticker over 'em!!" With this, he let out with a big laugh and said, "Damn! It was one of our biggest selling albums...boobs or no boobs!" :tongue:

Jon

...boobing it up, online...

Did we ever figure out whose "hill" that was?? Definitely wasn't Karen's...I've heard it would have been a little more mountainous. :wink:

Pretty tame as covers go...I've seen a lot worse.

Rudy said:
Did we ever figure out whose "hill" that was?? Definitely wasn't Karen's...I've heard it would have been a little more mountainous. :wink:

This reminds me of a story about the movie DESTRY RIDES AGAIN with Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich, which debuted in 1939...there's a scene early in the picture where Marlene drops a poker chip down inside her blouse, and another guy at the table was supposed to say,"There's gold in them thar hills"...but the censors cut it out. Today, that wouldn't even get a yawn...

Also, the music playing in the barroom in the background became the most requested sheet music title of all-time...GOLDEN SLIPPERS...probably no connection, but interesting, NTL...

Dan, movie buff and trivia expert with too much time on his hands...

Rudy said:

Don't know who "posed" for the FOOL cover. Always looked like an artist rendering to me (?) And with all due respect to Karen, have you seen the Playboy photoset? I'd say Karen is far more gifted than the FOOL "model." Let's just say that she puts "Little Miss Fool" to shame! :shock:

The FOOL cover is tame...as covers go today. I guess the big guys (retailers of the '60s) looked at things from the Donna Reed angle and figured FOOL was taking it too far...go "figure!" (pardon the pun!!)

Jon

My Dad was a Sears manager and I believe I got my first copy of "Fool" from his Sears store. I have to say I personally don't recall any sticker covering the "naughty bits" (to paraphrase Monty Python). I do remember a big red circular sticker on the front saying "Contains the hit 'Scarborough Fair'", which would lead me to believe I must have gotten a second or third pressing from late in 1968 or early 1969.

JMK said:
My Dad was a Sears manager and I believe I got my first copy of "Fool" from his Sears store. I have to say I personally don't recall any sticker covering the "naughty bits" (to paraphrase Monty Python). I do remember a big red circular sticker on the front saying "Contains the hit 'Scarborough Fair'", which would lead me to believe I must have gotten a second or third pressing from late in 1968 or early 1969.

Perhaps this was the first pressing Sergio was talking about? I do know that he had my Mom and I in stitches with his "boob sticker" story. It was one of those evenings when Sergio was really "up" and enjoying the interaction backstage.

Jon

I've always wondered if that's really a real "boob." If you open the cover and look at it, it just doesn't look real to me. The area where the stomach should be is just too flat. Maybe they tweaked it somehow.

I do remember the sticker though...it was on the back, yep, right over the boob. I remember thinking, "that's pretty dumb to put the sticker on the back where it won't be seen!"

To me it does look like the genuine article...BUT, it is probably cropped and airbrushed into a landscape. If you look on the front cover, THAT curve of a hill looks very much derriere to me...again, airbrushed to blend in.

Now that we have THAT topic *ahem* in hand, at lunch yesterday (Ruby Tuesday up in Farmington Hills...Harry knows it well :wink: ), a handful of songs played from ALL genres, and I was partially surprised to hear "Fool" in all its Brasil '66 glory. It depends on the channel, but the private satellite music some of these restaurants pipe in usually has a lot of variety to it.

NP: "Festa" from Fool :D "The carnival's coming today..."

Rudy said:
To me it does look like the genuine article...BUT, it is probably cropped and airbrushed into a landscape. If you look on the front cover, THAT curve of a hill looks very much derriere to me...again, airbrushed to blend in...

Looks genuine to me...probably cropped and airbrushed...either way, it's a great cover (if you could call it that!) :D

Rudy said:
Now that we have THAT topic *ahem* in hand, at lunch yesterday (Ruby Tuesday up in Farmington Hills...Harry knows it well :wink: ), a handful of songs played from ALL genres, and I was partially surprised to hear "Fool" in all its Brasil '66 glory. It depends on the channel, but the private satellite music some of these restaurants pipe in usually has a lot of variety to it....

Ruby Tuesdays...is this a chain? Think I've heard of it before. Then again, being a flight attendant, I've eaten my way from one coast to the other. It's not uncommon for me to bring home (to California) half a sandwich that was prepared in St. Louis earlier that day! My best friend has made it clear that I do not return home from New Orleans without bringing genuine Gumbo with me...I'm a cross-country delivery boy! (no comments from any of you! hehehe!!)

Rudy said:
NP: "Festa" from Fool :D "The carnival's coming today..."

Isn't it, "The Carnival's coming today and everyone waits for this night?" I've heard people say it's "everyone waits for this sleigh..." Doesn't sound like that to me! Believe it or not, Gracinha couldn't remember! You'll say to her, "Gee, when you sung such and such a song..." and she'll say, "Did I sing that? Oh! I forgot!!"

Jon

...recovering from this morning's root canal, online... :cry:

Yep, Ruby's is a chain. What's interesting is that we originally saw them in the malls here, but now they are building stand-alone restaurants around the area. Which is fine. I really like the salad bar there. :) And i don't have to go into a mall.

Now you've got me wondering if the lyrics say, "The carnival's starting today" vs. "coming today". I don't hear "sleigh" either...it's Brazil, not the North Pole. :D

I think it is "The Carnival's starting today..." I'm not exactly with it at the moment...must be the Vicoprofen they gave me for pain...but I think you're correct...it's "The Carnival's starting..."

Sometimes it's hard to tell what Sergio's girls are saying. That's why the song books are so great. Then again, Sergio was known for changing and/or removing lyrics from his arrangements. For instance, "Aquas de Marco" has additional lyrics, as does "Roda."

With the vocals doubled and tripled as they were, you have to listen closely to get the correct lyrics.

Jon

...somewhere in outer space, online... :shock:

The first Ruby Tuesday's opened on Cumberland Avenue, Knoxville TN, in 1972. The corporate headquarters has been located in nearby Maryville for many years. Ruby's salad bar is among the best anywhere, because of the variety of ingredients and the chain's proficiency at keeping everything cold and fresh.
Ruby's offers two styles of ribs, honey barbecue and Memphis style, the latter having a blend of spices instead of sauce. I eat there as often as possible.
JB

LPJim said:
The first Ruby Tuesday's opened on Cumberland Avenue, Knoxville TN, in 1972. The corporate headquarters has been located in nearby Maryville for many years. Ruby's salad bar is among the best anywhere, because of the variety of ingredients and the chain's proficiency at keeping everything cold and fresh.
Ruby's offers two styles of ribs, honey barbecue and Memphis style, the latter having a blend of spices instead of sauce. I eat there as often as possible.
JB

Thanks LPJim! Yeah, I know what you're talking about now. I've eaten there many times. It was the ribs that made the light go on. Yummo! (as The Two Fat Ladies of Food Network fame would say) :D

The Salad Bar is out of this world!

Then again, you're talking to a flight attendant who bases his schedule around cities that have a Hooters (fitting for this thread, don't you think?) within walking distance of my layover hotel...that would be Fort Lauderdale, Oklahoma City, Tampa...the list goes on and on...Thank God! :tongue:

Jon

...anxiously awaiting the opportunity to fly Hooters Air, online... :D

Hooters? My wife refuses to eat there until someone starts a chanin called "Peckers" -- but at least I'm allowed to go there with my friends for after-work socializing...

Here in California we have "Ruby's" but it doesn't sound like the same place you're talking about. This is a chain modelled after pre-WWII diners. The running theme is the 1939 Worlds Fair and a heavy "Rocketeer"/"Betty" style... Great food, too!

And to keep it forum topic related: I think my local Hooters should have a copy of FOTH framed somewhere over the bar. It's just so appropo!

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Hooters? My wife refuses to eat there until someone starts a chanin called "Peckers" -- but at least I'm allowed to go there with my friends for after-work socializing...

Believe it or not, the Hooters people thought about doing something very similar. I'm not sure what they were going to call it (I don't think it was "Peckers"), but I know they thought of opening a place for the ladies.

On a funny sidenote...

Barbie, a dear friend of mine from Walt Disney World, was Cinderella in the Park by day...a Hooters girl by night. She used to get the biggest kick out of it. "I'd pose for pictures as Cinderella," she'd say, "and that night, the same family would come into Hooters for dinner. They never picked up on the fact that it was Cinderella serving their hot wings!" That always cracked me up! :D

Mr Bill said:
And to keep it forum topic related: I think my local Hooters should have a copy of FOTH framed somewhere over the bar. It's just so appropo!

You know, Bill...I never thought about that! What a kick it would be!! The original hooters in St. Petersburg is totally kewl. They play all kinds of music -- one of them being Brasil '66. Talk about a perfect eating environment...Brasil '66 and Hooters too! :wink:

Jon

LPJim said:
Ruby's salad bar is among the best anywhere, because of the variety of ingredients and the chain's proficiency at keeping everything cold and fresh.

Making me hungry now. :wink: How are Memphis-style ribs anyway? i have a recipe or two to try on the grill outside...sounds good, as long as the ribs don't dry out too much.

I'm not a fan of cheese on salad, but there's something about Ruby's French dressing that goes well with it. I usually make different salads depending on which dressing I use...but there, I usually get the same thing each time. I also like the fajitas, but I get too stuffed getting the salad *and* the fajitas!

The closest Ruby's is about 15 minutes away, which isn't too bad. Wish they'd put one here in Canton.

Ocean City,Md. has a restaurant called Big Peckers-with a Foghorn Leghorn rooster as their logo. I've never been there(though close during some summers by the Delaware shore)but their ratio of customers to t-shirts must be one to one-I see these everywhere. The same folks also own nearby joints titled Brass Balls Saloon and the Bad Ass Cafe-sounds like a great place to take the kiddies when on vacation down the shore. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom