re-release of singles

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I don't remember but somewhere on the Internet I read that the Singles 1969-1973 might be re-released. There is even some rumors that they will use a new cover. Is this true? :?:

It still IS in print in some places in the world (Japan I think?). I've not heard anything official about that, but we'll keep an ear out.

The latest word I've heard is:

- "Sing" will be mixed as a karaoke track as a bonus on a Japanese single of "Top Of The World" due out in Japan Nov 21.

- The Japanese will also get a re-issue of the album boxset in mini-LP sleeves this fall for the 35th anniversary, including the two Christmas albums.

- Richard is working with singer Jo O'Meara on a project for her

- There will be no new Christmas album this year from Richard.

Harry
...with the latest, online...

Harry is right.
The singles 1969-1973 is availabe in Japan.
2001/12/27
ASIN: B00005R0TH

Adding to Harry's words,

- "Zaitsu Songs-A Cappella " CD will be released on 22nd of this month in Japan.

"When I Dream"
WITH KAZUO ZAITSU

Richard Carpenter has created a full acapella arrangement of "When I
Dream" - with Pamela's English lyrics to stellar Japanese songwriter Kazuo
Zaitsu's haunting music; the project is currently in the studio.
http://www.pamoland.com/what's_new.htm

-TV Soundtrack CD for "Beginner" will be released in Japan on November 6th.
The theme for the TV drama "Beginner" is "Top Of he World". I heard "There's A Kind Of Hush" at "Beginner". I'm afraid but this CD won't have "Sing" karaoke. The soundtrack will be released earlier than "Top Of The World/Sing (karaoke)".

- THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY
Two part series starting Tuesday 27th January 2004
BBC Radio 2, 88-91 FM
Here is the schedule of Radio2.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/listings/week.shtml
If you click on the LISTEN LIVE icon, you can hear BBC Radio2 from all over the world.

Sakura

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I meant it would be re-released in the US. I ordered my copies of the Singles from Canada and Japan to have the remastered and the original.

Possibly ...Since Expanded Singles 1969-1981 Has Been Such Average to Poor Seller in USA and Barely Released Worldwide :sad:

Not Such A Surprise Since Universal Have NEVER Promoted this Set -Interesting To Ask Universal Staffers -How Do They Expect to Sell Albums Beyond Die Hards TO Wider Audience .......Perhaps ESP .....Is required ......!!! :rolleyes:

Singles 1969-1973 Would if Still Fully Available / Marketed Become Carpenters First Diamond (10 Million ) Selling Album in USA :D

Peter

This is probably a stupid idea and I don't know much about this but if every body complained to Universal could that help in the decision to re-release the singles 69-73. I hav eit but still there is no reason why they should have deleted it in the US.

Universal had a good reason for deleting SINGLES 1969-1973,it wasn't selling well!Even though it was a massive seller in the 70's and 80's,SINGLES 1969-1973 waned in sales by the late 90's.SINGLES was the only compilation available from 1970-1985,but today,there are plenty of more comprehensive compilations on the market,and most K&R fans would prefer more thorough collections like LOVE SONGS or INTERPRETATIONS.Most fans,at this point,want Karen's best work.They're not really interested in which songs were on the pop charts 30 years ago-they want quality,and that's why LOVE SONGS was so successful.( for those that aren't aware,LOVE SONGS spent 6 months on the Billboard Top 200 album chart in 1998).

Mr. J, may I ask where you got the information about SINGLES 69-73's sales figures? I'm curious. I always thought that SINGLES 69-73 was a perennial best-seller and was only replaced because of the confusion and competition with the 69-81 title.

It seems natural to me that sales would continue to decline for most Carpenters albums - let's face it, they are not a current act. I'm still surprised to go into stores, see a fairly complete selection of Carpenters CDs and weeks later see most of them gone. There's obviuosly somebody out there still buying. And, by the way, LOVE SONGS is either the most well-stocked CD, or no-one's buying it - it ALWAYS seems to be in the racks!

Harry
...checking the record racks, online...

THE SINGLES 1969-1973 was a perennial bestseller for many years,but by the late 90's,the contents of that package had been duplicated on so many other compilations,it was no longer the "compilation of choice".As a rule of thumb,record labels NEVER delete a bestselling album.That's why A&M has kept the CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT-SPECIAL EDITION on the market all these years-it's selling so well,why mess with it?But CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT is also an "exclusive" album-it's contents have never been duplicated on another album.Not so with SINGLES 69-73-that song selection has been duplicated on so many subsequent compilations,many people don't feel the need to own it,when they already have LOVE SONGS,the 2-CD YESTERDAY ONCE MORE or the 4-CD ESSENTIAL.(among others!).Also,with CD's being able to hold 80 minutes of music and selling for $20.00,most record buyers look for definitive compilations that contain 20 tracks on a single disc. As far as Karen goes,the average fan is going to want a career-spanning compilation,not a compilation that only covers the first 3 years.But,I do know that SINGLES 1969-1973 was deleted due to sales figures.If it was selling as many copies as CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT does every year,it would still be in print today.

I think quite often, a title will remain in print simply because the label has a warehouse full of it.

In the case of SINGLES 69-73, it was deleted soon after the more complete SINGLES collection came out. The reasons are obvious. If they had wanted to keep both titles in print, they would have given the newer package a different title such as CARPENTERS COMPLETE SINGLES COLLECTION or something.

I often think the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at the labels...what else explains the fact that Sergio Mendes' FOURSIDER and CLASSICS albums are BOTH still in print??

I'm still looking for the singles on CD (remastered classics one) to add to my collection. They must not have made that many cause I see alot of the other Remastered Classics still in stores but not the Singles.

Chris-it's not surprising that you can't find THE SINGLES 1969-1973,It's been out-of-print since April,2000.The Remastered edition was only in print for 1 year,so most likely A&M didn't press too many copies.Try going to a store that sells used CD's-you're bound to find a copy sooner or later.

I Have Managed to Obtain Japanese Singles 1969-1973 (Remastered) and This Sound Great -Plus Includes Extended WOJB And Other Alternate Versions Already Listed :)

Amazingly, Especially Since A&M'S Sales to Various Huge Companies , this Largest Selling Release Has Been Barely Promoted / Marketed Under New Companies -If Sales are King .....Why Has A&M UK Failed to Re-Release / Market this Classic Album -Currently Unavailable .....At Least One Million Sales Have Been Lost as Vinyl/ Cassette Buyers Seek Out Favourite Titles on CD (even SACD) ....Singles 1969-1981 has Never Been Released in UK .....Another Prime Example of Record Companies Failing Again Over Basics :confused:

Had A&M / New Owners Acutually Kept this Album in Worldwide Release .....Fans Would Have Been Delighted and A&M Would Have Reaped Continual Rewards :shock:

Peter

thanks mr j, I have a few of those used Cd stores around my area, haven't visited there recently so that might be a good place to look for the remaster classics of the Singles CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom