Real or Fake?

Billy Rees

Would love to know your opinions on these autographs from Japan, supposedly signed during their 1972 tour.
I can't decide if they're real or not? If they are real it looks like Karen signed Richard's name for him!

s-l1600.jpg

Would love to know your opinions on these autographs from Japan, supposedly signed during their 1972 tour.
I can't decide if they're real or not? If they are real it looks like Karen signed Richard's name for him!

s-l1600.jpg

That’s exactly what I thought the minute I saw this. Karen’s is definitely her own... I wonder what the story was behind it LOL

They look fake to me Billy. Shall I tell you why? The pressure of the pen on the page is even and identical for both Richard and Karen, and that was never the case with their handwriting.

Check this genuine autograph out (courtesy of Judy Pancoast) and look at the difference between Richard and Karen’s handwriting. The ‘K’ of Karen’s first name doesn’t look right, the ‘ter’ of her surname is too sloppy and the ‘C’ on Richard’s surname is nothing like the way he signs his name.

Last edited:
They both look like they were done at the same time with the same marker. I agree with the OP. It looks like she did Richard's for him.

Ed

I've been looking at an essay Karen wrote when she was 13 that was printed in Ray Coleman's book and there are a lot of similarities in the writing... If it is real, then Karen definitely signed Richard's name.

s-l1600.jpg

@Billy Rees I showed this to Richard and he has confirmed that it in fact was Karen that signed both names, trying to make it look like Richard signed it!

Hope this helps answer your question! :)

Last edited:
Most definitely. Look at the label on this acetate that Karen handwrote... you'll see this confirms it with several similarities...

IMG_6849.JPG

Do you have the FB link to the convention video where we hear this recording? Agnes had some of the same haunting low tones as Karen, and as much as I hate to admit it, she sounded pretty good.

Wow! Thank you so much Chris... I'm very grateful that you did that. That's so cool...
Do you have the FB link to the convention video where we hear this recording? Agnes had some of the same haunting low tones as Karen, and as much as I hate to admit it, she sounded pretty good.

Out of respect for Richard I requested it be left off of the program. Sorry about that!

So it’s been removed from Facebook?

I think I may have misunderstood you. I think someone did manage to catch a snippet of it and posted shortly after the event. I have no idea who posted it or if it still exists.

I think I may have misunderstood you. I think someone did manage to catch a snippet of it and posted shortly after the event. I have no idea who posted it or if it still exists.

I think I misunderstood you as well. I thought it was you who posted it online. What program were you referring to? The fan gathering in April?

There were a few people there who recorded it on their phones, but there was a lot of background noise (people coughing, laughing etc) that was also captured... Obviously, I'd love to have the clear version, but it's still great that we got to hear it in the first place!

There were a few people there who recorded it on their phones, but there was a lot of background noise (people coughing, laughing etc) that was also captured... Obviously, I'd love to have the clear version, but it's still great that we got to hear it in the first place!

I’m interested in hearing it again, I was surprised by how much she sounded like Karen.

I have a confession! The next day after posting the original picture, I bought the items... The main reason I wanted it was because of the concert program, the ticket was a great extra and the sign sheet a lovely bonus... I was pretty sure the signature was pre-printed and not signed in person.

Then Chris said that Richard had confirmed that it was all in Karen's own handwriting.

Since buying it, I've been searching for tips on how to tell a real autograph from a printed one, and came across another auction with the 1976 Japanese concert book and another sign sheet that you could clearly see was pre-printed.

Anyway, it arrived earlier, and after holding my breath while inspecting it closely under a magnifying lens also by holding it at different angles near a lamp, I'm 99.9% sure it is genuinely hand signed by Karen! It has that old-look and musty book smell, plus the card it's on is plain, so the signature itself, when held near a light shimmies slightly like a felt pen would but the card around it stays the same dull texture... That would indicate to me that it's not printed as part of the whole thing, but definitely separate...

It seems I came across a similar item described in this thread. Karen's autograph in the attached item looks authentic, and "Carpenters" is definitely written by Karen (if this is authentic). Richard's signature doesn't look like Richard's, but likely written by the same person (Karen) that wrote the rest of what is on this King Records sheet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 11.59.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 11.59.37 AM.png
    390.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom