Real Thing versions

JMK

Contributor
Does anyone have any info on the two different releases of The Real Thing on 45? The first is on the red Elektra label and is B sided with Homecooking, and the second is on the butterfly label with Peninsula as the B-side. The second version is listed as a 're-recording (on Wikipedia) and is longer, but I'm curious if anyone knows the background. I tried searching the archives and didn't come up with anything.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
I have no definitive answer, but can perhaps put a piece in the puzzle. I have the second 45 with the butterfly label. The timing on it is 3:55 and when I stack it up against the album version, I get the following info:

- the 45 is almost a minute shorter than the album version, somewhere around :50 shorter
- the 45 is sped up a little, around half a percent or so
- the 45 edits out a verse that occurs at around 1:50, and then fades quicker.

Now, a couple of theories about the red-label version. On the Wikipedia page, the red-label 45 is listed as a non-album single, so it appeared before the NEW BRASIL 77 album, in the HOMECOOKING era. I'm guessing that Sergio & Co. then spruced up the track a bit for the new album, and released it as a single. So the key to any differences will be on the red-label version, which I don't own.

JMK

Contributor
The red label version sounds like the same recording to me, only shorter and in mono (which tends to make the mix a bit different).

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Ah, OK. So between the two of us, we have it all. The sound waves match up pretty well once I take care of the speed difference, so I can only conclude that they "re-tweaked" the record to help it sell as a single.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
I have the EP version, which is extended. Seems it was created to be a dance record. I attended clubs back in the day. The EP version was usually played; not the original. It was big (for dancing) in those days. A really catchy tune that everyone enjoyed!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Top Bottom