Reconstructing Made in America

Mark-T

Just for fun, I've been reading through the "Official Review" thread of Made in America from the beginning.
So many of us, me included, have a list of changes we would make to the album. This includes replacement of songs with other cuts from those sessions, a new sequencing of them, a new album cover, and more.

So, I thought it'd be fun to give everyone a chance to create a new album and share it. One caveat: You are in control but have to create the album with the best possibility of bring them back to the Top Ten- and you have to pick four singles.

Make up your own rules. But for me, I wondered what if 1- I left off I Believe You as it was released in 78; 2- Because We Are in Love was left as a special "B" Side. 3- I could only replace one additional song (making for three total).

Here's what I came up with:

Touch Me When We're Dancing (Single #1- Late Spring)
Those Good Old Dreams
Strength of a Woman
Want You Back in My Life Again (Remixed Single #2- Summer)
When You've Got What It Takes

Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night (Single #3- Fall)
When it’s Gone
Prime Time Love
Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore (Single #4- Early 1982)
Somebody’s Been Lyin'

The cover would be changed to the inner sleeve photo. The title would remain. The original MIA artwork would become the label on the record, with faces on Side One and flowing hair art on Side Two, and the cover would become the inner sleeve. The back cover would be a simple speckled dot version of the background of the original airbrushed art with the normal recording details.

It's definitely arm chair production on our parts and all for fun.
Ask questions. Let's keep it positive and save the album critiques for the Official thread where we've already covered so much of what we don't like and why.
Anyone want to play?

I was just about to say the same thing, Mark. I like what you did with the track list. My only problem is that I like "I Believe You" and feel that relegating it to single-only status would have been a disservice to it. I think I'd eliminate "Your Baby..." and put in "I Believe You", only because it belongs on this album. I really like "Your Baby..." and would rather it be used on the next album.

Here's some cover art I came up with, a different version of the inner photo that was used on a Brazilian single:

MadeInAmericaRedux.jpg

I was just about to say the same thing, Mark. I like what you did with the track list. My only problem is that I like "I Believe You" and feel that relegating it to single-only status would have been a disservice to it. I think I'd eliminate "Your Baby..." and put in "I Believe You", only because it belongs on this album. I really like "Your Baby..." and would rather it be used on the next album.

Here's some cover art I came up with, a different version of the inner photo that was used on a Brazilian single:

MadeInAmericaRedux.jpg
Very well done, Harry!

I like I Believe You- but given the stark contrast in style to the rest of the album, I would have saved it for another Singles disk. (I'm building my own Anthology by recording date - thanks to the Legacy book- and it's fascinating to see how it looks by what song was recorded when.)

Just for fun, I've been reading through the "Official Review" thread of Made in America from the beginning.
So many of us, me included, have a list of changes we would make to the album. This includes replacement of songs with other cuts from those sessions, a new sequencing of them, a new album cover, and more.

So, I thought it'd be fun to give everyone a chance to create a new album and share it. One caveat: You are in control but have to create the album with the best possibility of bring them back to the Top Ten- and you have to pick four singles.

Make up your own rules. But for me, I wondered what if 1- I left off I Believe You as it was released in 78; 2- Because We Are in Love was left as a special "B" Side. 3- I could only replace one additional song (making for three total).

Here's what I came up with:

Touch Me When We're Dancing (Single #1- Late Spring)
Those Good Old Dreams
Strength of a Woman
Want You Back in My Life Again (Remixed Single #2- Summer)
When You've Got What It Takes

Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night (Single #3- Fall)
When it’s Gone
Prime Time Love
Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore (Single #4- Early 1982)
Somebody’s Been Lyin'

The cover would be changed to the inner sleeve photo. The title would remain. The original MIA artwork would become the label on the record, with faces on Side One and flowing hair art on Side Two, and the cover would become the inner sleeve. The back cover would be a simple speckled dot version of the background of the original airbrushed art with the normal recording details.

It's definitely arm chair production on our parts and all for fun.
Ask questions. Let's keep it positive and save the album critiques for the Official thread where we've already covered so much of what we don't like and why.
Anyone want to play?
I’d leave “I Believe You” in, for the reasons Harry mentioned. But I’d ditch “Somebody’s Been Lyin”for it. I don’t mind the cover artwork as is, but do like your idea of using it for the center of the actual record instead of the generic red A&M label.

MadeInAmericaRedux.jpg
Except Karen’s head looks too big compared to Richard’s, and not a fan of the font.

I had the same idea as @Harry. I did these a while ago...

carpentersmadeinamericasleevealtered.png

carpentersmadeinamericaalteredbackt.png

Ed

Last edited:
SIDE 1
Those Good Old Dreams
WYBIMLA (single 2 with a remix bringing Karen and the synths way up)
WYGWIT
Your Baby....
The Uninvited Guest

SIDE 2
Touch Me....(single 1)
When it's Gone
Beechwood
Kiss Me (single 3)
End of a Song

I really don't see any other of the above tracks making a dent in the charts.

I would use the B&W Lovelines cover but then the Made in America title wouldn't fit. If they were hell bent on that patriotic title then the 30's deco style Red White and Blue drawing kind of works. I'd be cool keeping it.

Neil

Because We Are In Love is a great reading by Karen. It’s the hokey instrumental arrangement that kills it, especially the intro. Somebody’s Been Lying is my favorite, and I really like I Believe You, just not the Disney-like instrumental arrangement of it. I would eliminate When It’s Gone and Beechwood. Not that Beechwood is bad, it’s just not needed. The last verse/chorus of When It’s Gone is nice, the rest of it is boring. I know I am in the minority, but I think Richard knew there would be songs liked and disliked songs and he chose knowing that. I was just disappointed in that there was not a stellar song in the mix. As much as I like all the songs, I don’t think any of the choices would have made a big difference. It was all easy, easy listening or a repetition of years past styles. We now know that was its purpose. Touch Me was OK but it is still was not as good as anything on A Song For You. I would have rather had the old standards from Music Music Music. Those had value, but probably not commercial value.

I was just disappointed in that there was not a stellar song in the mix.
^^^^ This is exactly how I felt with Voice of the Heart. In fact, I argue (and have argued) that instead of having to buy THREE posthumous releases (VOTH, LOVELINES, and ATGB), we could have gotten two stellar releases instead. I would submit that MIA is not the release that needed (or needs) the re-work. I submit the below as my re-imagined selections. But first, a couple of caveats: 1) All Karen solo work should have stayed on Karen's solo album and not migrated onto LOVELINES; 2) Gone are all the recorded-for-TV mono "aural" songs; and 3) "special" selections like the old Osborn garage songs, and medleys with the likes of Ella Fitzgerald and Perry Como, and Richard's epic piano selections should be relegated to From the Top/Essential Collection. With that, just imagine if VOTH was released with:

1. Now (Richard was going to include this no matter what)
2. Where Do I Go From Here
3. Uninvited Guest
4. Two Lives
5. Ordinary Fool
6. Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night

7. You're Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
8. You're the One
9. Honolulu City Lights
10. Slow Dance
11. Prime Time Love
12. Look to Your Dreams

THEN, years later, after some other songs were rediscovered and emerged from the vaults, we could have had a re-imagined AS TIME GOES BY that might have looked like this:

1. Without a Song
2. Sailing on the Tide
3. You're Enough
4. Make Believe It's Your First Time
5. Rainbow Connection
6. When I Fall in Love

7. You're Just In Love
8. Leave Yesterday Behind
9. Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again
10. Little Girl Blue
11. At the End of a Song

12. Bonus track of either Richard's "You'll Never Know" or "And When He Smiles."

I'd leave MIA alone. It's the posthumous releases that need to be reworked in my humble opinion.

^^^^ This is exactly how I felt with Voice of the Heart. In fact, I argue (and have argued) that instead of having to buy THREE posthumous releases (VOTH, LOVELINES, and ATGB), we could have gotten two stellar releases instead. I would submit that MIA is not the release that needed (or needs) the re-work. I submit the below as my re-imagined selections. But first, a couple of caveats: 1) All Karen solo work should have stayed on Karen's solo album and not migrated onto LOVELINES; 2) Gone are all the recorded-for-TV mono "aural" songs; and 3) "special" selections like the old Osborn garage songs, and medleys with the likes of Ella Fitzgerald and Perry Como, and Richard's epic piano selections should be relegated to From the Top/Essential Collection. With that, just imagine if VOTH was released with:

3. Uninvited Guest
4. Two Lives
5. Ordinary Fool

8. You're the One
9. Honolulu City Lights
10. Slow Dance
11. Prime Time Love
12. Look to Your Dreams

THEN, years later, after some other songs were rediscovered and emerged from the vaults, we could have had a re-imagined AS TIME GOES BY that might have looked like this:

1. Without a Song
2. Sailing on the Tide
3. You're Enough
5. Rainbow Connection
6. When I Fall in Love

7. You're Just In Love
10. Little Girl Blue
11. At the End of a Song

12. Bonus track of either Richard's "You'll Never Know" or "And When He Smiles."

I'd leave MIA alone. It's the posthumous releases that need to be reworked in my humble opinion.
You certainly make a compelling case!

3. Uninvited Guest
4. Two Lives
5. Ordinary Fool

8. You're the One
9. Honolulu City Lights
10. Slow Dance
11. Prime Time Love
12. Look to Your Dreams

1. Without a Song
2. Sailing on the Tide
3. You're Enough
5. Rainbow Connection
6. When I Fall in Love

7. You're Just In Love
10. Little Girl Blue
11. At the End of a Song

Great re-workings! I like it.

Very well done, Harry!

I like I Believe You- but given the stark contrast in style to the rest of the album, I would have saved it for another Singles disk. (I'm building my own Anthology by recording date - thanks to the Legacy book- and it's fascinating to see how it looks by what song was recorded when.)
Technically, I Believe You had already appeared on a Best of disc in 1978. So MIA was it’s second album appearance.

If I was producing Made In America in 1981 I would have this line up for the album:

Side 1

Prime Time Love
Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
Don't Try To Win Me Back
The Uninvited Guest
If I Had You (but remix it so that it ended cold)
Leave Yesterday Behind
(Want You) Back In My Life Again
Remember When Loving Took All Night
The Rainbow Connection

Side 2

My Body Keeps Changing My Mind (aside from keeping Karen's lead track, and the opening drum line (but with added reverb and more stereo separation), I'd re-record the instruments and backing vocals, so that this was a very upbeat dance track, kind of like what Richard did in 1991, but eliminating the disco entirely)
Lovelines
Beechwood 4-5789
Looking For Love* (again a re-record, possible a Richard lead)
I've Got Rhythm
You're Just In Love (just as it appears on As Time Goes By, with Richard dueting with Karen)
Touch Me When We're Dancing
Slow Dance

*if it was written I might even consider Something In Your Eyes with Richard on lead.

Single Releases:

Single #1 If I Had You/Don't Try To Win Me Back (this would be issued shortly after starting the project, as aside from some light editing, they are already ready to go)
Single #2 I've Got Rhythm/Leave Yesterday Behind (to tie-into the Carpenters 1980 TV special)
Single #3 My Body Keeps Changing My Mind/You're Just In Love (this would be released within the month prior to the album's release)
Single #4 The Rainbow Connection/Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
Single #5 Touch Me When We're Dancing/Making Love In The Afternoon
Single #6 Prime Time Love/Lovelines
Single #7 Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore/The Uninvited Guest
Single #8 (non-album single) Do You Hear What I Hear? (duet with Richard)/I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day (keep Karen's vocal track from 78, but re-record the instruments, including adding bells to the track)

With Singles 5 & 8, the three tracks that were not on MIA would just be single-only tracks, with a possibility of hinting at what might come in the future, with the Christmas tracks being released somewhere around October/November 1980.

Not in the US.
Still it should’ve been left off. It was too outdated by 1981 and too similar to 6 of the 10 tracks on the album. Also, since it failed to have a major impact on the charts in 78, why would Karen and Richard think people would want more of the same 3 years later?

Also, was Carpenters Classics ever released as an import in the US? Maybe in Hawaii or the American Somoa?

Last edited:
Your opinion, and a rather popular one, I might add.

On a related note-

Based on the Legacy book, these are the songs that were recorded during the planning stages for Made in America and released in 1981 or later. It's by the recording date of the drums, bass, guitar foundation. I think it was mj.J or someone else who once said 27 songs were recorded. Does anyone know what they were or what happened to them?

“When It’s Gone (It’s Just Gone)” June 12, 1980
“Two Lives” June 12, 1980
"Touch Me When We're Dancing" June 15, 1980
“Prime Time Love” July 25, 1980
“Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night” July 27, 1980
“When You’ve Got What It Takes” August 20, 1980
“Somebody’s Been Lyin’” August 26, 1980
"Because We Are in Love (The Wedding Song)" August 26, 1980
“Strength of a Woman” October 20, 1980
“(Want You) Back in My Life Again” October 21, 1980
“Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Anymore” October 22, 1980
“The Uninvited Guest” October 23, 1980
“Make Believe It’s Your First Time (Carpenters version)” October 23, 1980
“The Rainbow Connection” October 24, 1980
“Beechwood 4-5789” November 7, 1980
“Those Good Old Dreams” November 20, 1980; Remix 1981
“At the End of a Song”, November 20, 1980

On a related note-

Based on the Legacy book, these are the songs that were recorded during the planning stages for Made in America and released in 1981 or later. It's by the recording date of the drums, bass, guitar foundation. I think it was mj.J or someone else who once said 27 songs were recorded. Does anyone know what they were or what happened to them?

Thanks for laying those out. That's great

On a related note-

It’s interesting how The Uninvited Guest was recorded in late October, as it’s their spooky Halloween song. And then it was released just after it’s 9th anniversary on October 31, 1989.

You what’s funny, earlier I was going to point out that recording date so close to Halloween. It’s a song about a figurative (or literal?) ghost haunting a home. It’s weirdly fitting that their last “regular” type album was released on Halloween given the eeriness that courses through so much of their stuff, with a ghostly voice at its center.

It's figurative but I'm sure you know that. "She's the other woman / who's on your mind"

Ed

Maybe the narrator really can see an apparition, though. Maybe the guest is so clearly on her partners mind because her mystical presence is so close.
Sometimes I wonder if the singer is the husband’s second-wife. The song doesn’t say it, but what-if the “ghost” is the husband’s deceased-first-wife, and the second wife, the new wife, is jealous of the deceased-wife, and she “sees” her husband’s first wife when he maybe looks at old photos.

Back
Top Bottom