Record collector magazine-New interview/Article UK.

New Horizons.

Hello everyone.
Just to let you know that the new Record collector magazine February 2019 has a Carpenters article and interview with Richard.Just picked one up but not read it yet.
The interview is also online at their site if anyone wants to read it.
www.recordcollectormag.com/articles/richard-carpenter

oh and I had a quick read........very interesting....exciting even?:)

Last edited:
Great read! Thank you for posting. Richard seems very content and happy in himself these days, which is great to see. This section is quite telling:

Christmas 2018’s “new” offering, Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, was an interesting if inessential refashioning of classic tracks. After previous Royal Phil team-ups on the music of Elvis, Beach Boys, Roy Orbison and Aretha became big box office, there’s a logic to asking Richard to rearrange and orchestrate his music with them“.

The inference there is that this collection didn’t replicate the “big box office” of the previous collections.

Great read! Thank you for posting. Richard seems very content and happy in himself these days, which is great to see. This section is quite telling:

Christmas 2018’s “new” offering, Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, was an interesting if inessential refashioning of classic tracks. After previous Royal Phil team-ups on the music of Elvis, Beach Boys, Roy Orbison and Aretha became big box office, there’s a logic to asking Richard to rearrange and orchestrate his music with them“.

The inference there is that this collection didn’t replicate the “big box office” of the previous collections.

In fairness, while the Elvis and Roy Orbison compilations sold well, the Beach Boys and Aretha Franklin compilations didn't sell that much. The Carpenters compilation probably falls somewhere in the middle of the five in terms of its sales.

That was a good interview. Record Collector has always been quite supportive of the Carpenters' music, even back to the late 1980s. It was in that magazine that I first read about the forthcoming release of From the Top back in 1991.

Carpenter reveals that he’s finishing off some new songs. “I can’t say it’s a new album at the moment, just four or five numbers. We’ll see.”

Let me quote Karen in 1981 interviewed by DeDe prior to the release of MIA; "Oh, it's coming!".

Great interview! It's exciting to see Richard suddenly out and about and feeling creative again.

There is an interview on the TJ Luninsky Facebook page, and I can't figure out how to share it here, where Richard is asked about unreleased Carpenters tracks, and he adamantly states there is NOTHING left he would consider releasing.

I wondered the same. A lot of people on Facebook seemed to be presuming it would be Carpenters’ songs, but after what Richard said in his interview with TJ Lubinsky I imagine it’s more likely to be his own solo material. Either way, I’m intrigued :)
I, too, took it that it was new solo material.

Thanks for the link...never seen that video....it's breaks ones heart to hear Richard say he needed more time for listening and that they were booked way too much, too many concerts. The coffee table book is a wonderful idea. Cool that he mentions Chrissie Hynde...I like The Pretenders. It sounds like this video is a part 2 because it starts with no opening, is there a part 1?

Back
Top Bottom