Record Store Day

No, I went one year and that was it for me. :laugh: The store reminded me of what Black Friday at WalMart must be like. :laugh: We had to stand outside until there was room in the store, after which we were directed in a snaking line through the store, past wall displays with the RSD titles. Then we had to wait in the lines at the cash register.

It seems more and more lately like these are bottom-scrapings (live dates, studio outtakes, etc.), novelty releases (I mean, c'mon, did we really need an Africa-shaped picture disc of Toto's "Africa"?), all at high prices. There's a crap ton of rock, alternative, etc. releases, a few jazz, but forget about any further variety. It has just become overwhelming for collectors, and increasingly seems like a money grab for the major record labels. It's sad, since this started out simply as a day to salute and support the local record stores.

Thankfully I'll be at AXPONA and won't have to deal with it. :wink: My Chicago buddy often skip the show on Saturday to hit the stores for RSD, and we even have a pal who drives in from Minneapolis (provided his wife is well enough to travel). And they buy at least a dozen items each...sometimes two or three dozen. This is the same one who has two IKEA EXPEDIT 5x5 shelving units packed full with vinyl, and rows more on the floor that don't have room for storage. :D

Actually, anything I've ever wanted has usually been available months later at way more affordable prices. The pink vinyl Pink Panther RCA reissue was only $14. The Cal Tjader 10" LP I bought recently was a RSD title a couple of years ago, as was the $8 green splatter vinyl version of The Time's What Time Is It?. The only title I sort of wanted was the Bill Evans set Some Other Time: The Lost Session from the Black Forest, which was a studio session with the very short lived line-up of Eddie Gomez (his bassist for a dozen years) and Jack DeJohnette (drums, who only played with Evans a short time). But I have it on hi-res, so, it's not a big deal.

Speaking of AXPONA, I have to commence packing in the morning and hit the road by 10:30am. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom