Reeeeeeally BAD records... You know, ENTERTAININGLY BAD. So BAD that they're actually laughable!

How 'bout "An Evening With Hugh Downs"? "You're My Girl: Romantic Reflections by Jack Webb"? "Bill Cullen's Minstrel Spectacular"? "Phyllis Diller - Born To Sing"? "Rock Gently: Rock Hudson Sings The Songs of Rod McKuen"? "Hogan's Heroes Sing The Best of World War II"? "And Me, I'm Ed McMahon"? "Allen Ludden Sings His Favorites"? "Chassidisco Fever"? (Disco with a Hassidic Jewish touch...) "Myron Floren's Disco Polka"? Yes, they're "for real," unlike online fakes such as Alan Hale's Roman Orgy...

:laugh: Jack Webb? Rock Hudson? HOGAN'S HEROES? You're kidding. Right? :D
And "Alan Hale's Roman Orgy"... Come on. You've gotta be joking! :laughup:
Myron Floren? :yikes::hurl: :uhhuh:

All joking aside, musical attempts from game show hosts (like Cullen, McMahon, Ludden, etc.) were commonplace back in the day.

:laugh: Jack Webb? Rock Hudson? HOGAN'S HEROES? You're kidding. Right? :D
And "Alan Hale's Roman Orgy"... Come on. You've gotta be joking! :laughup:
Myron Floren? :yikes::hurl: :uhhuh:

All joking aside, musical attempts from game show hosts (like Cullen, McMahon, Ludden, etc.) were commonplace back in the day.
Even Wink Martindale and Bob Eubanks very early in their careers made musical attempts.

Then there were sound effects. My dad had this record by Wes Harrison. Hadn't heard this in years...

I heard the Sebastian Cabot song on a public radio music show back in 1989 and I thought it was odd but then again the host of the show was rather odd too Go Figure. Lol

Long before Billy Joel became a famous singer/songwriter having penned the now iconic "Piano Man", he struggled to find his own sound. One attempt was the disastrous duo with a guy named Jon Small, and the group name was ATTILA. In his own words, Billy Joel said that they were trying to sound like Led Zeppelin. Well... it didn't. It just sounded bad. Reeeally BAD. Enjoy:

Now, ya see? That kinda hurts too, doesn't it? :D

And I thought Slim Whitman was Bad ( I so remember those tv albums they advertised of him) it was pathetically funny in a bad way to me as I was a kid. And I heard many jokes about him ( all of which I quickly forgot ) but that was the late 70s for you

I think this is why they played Slim Whitman to make the Martians' heads explode in MARS ATTACKS!

Even Wink Martindale and Bob Eubanks very early in their careers made musical attempts.
Wink Martindale actually had a #7 Billboard hit with the spoken word "Deck of Cards." And many of the game show hosts used to be radio DJs, like Martindale. Although one can easily say not all of them had musical talent. :laugh:

Wink Martindale actually had a #7 Billboard hit with the spoken word "Deck of Cards." And many of the game show hosts used to be radio DJs, like Martindale. Although one can easily say not all of them had musical talent. :laugh:
Very true on all counts I do know many of those Game show emcees remained Radio DJs in between their various in between gigs such as Jim Lange who continued in radio until finally retiring in 2005 when his last station KABL in San Francisco was sold to clear channel and then they Closed down the station. I'm not aware of whether he tried a singing career or not ( I don't think so though.)

Then again, Pat Boone singing Metallica's "Enter Sandman" is quite a stretch also. :D

And the original:

So now I have Metallica crankin' in the listening room. cuernos.gif Bernie Grundman mastered 45RPM version of course. :D

There was an interview with Herb (Hawaii Public Radio, I think) where the interviewer suggested that he cover some metal tunes. :D Herb just sort of gave him an odd look.

I have to admit that after hearing Hayseed Dixie, every time I hear AC/DC I hear banjos in the background. We played that whole cd at work one day and after the hysterical laughter died down, it kind of works as bluegrass music.

There was an interview with Herb (Hawaii Public Radio, I think) where the interviewer suggested that he cover some metal tunes. :D Herb just sort of gave him an odd look.

I have to admit that after hearing Hayseed Dixie, every time I hear AC/DC I hear banjos in the background. We played that whole cd at work one day and after the hysterical laughter died down, it kind of works as bluegrass music.

I think I remember that interview with Herb, not so long ago. Might've been one he did while in Hawaii.
Regarding AC/DC, you might want to check out "Thunderstruck" in a way you might never have imagined...

What about Karen Carpenter's (or Lani's) 1979 albums? The back-lash against disco was mounting by the year 1979, right?
I dunno. Karen's and Lani's albums weren't that bad. I can listen to either KAREN CARPENTER or Lani's DOUBLE OR NOTHING on a whim, and enjoy at least some or most of the material.

I dunno. Karen's and Lani's albums weren't that bad. I can listen to either KAREN CARPENTER or Lani's DOUBLE OR NOTHING on a whim, and enjoy at least some or most of the material.
They both could pull off the R&B/funk/dance feel, IMHO...but Ethel Merman, to put it kindly, struggled a little with the concept. :laugh:

For KC's solo record, though, that style just came a year or two too late. "Lovelines" in particular ripped off that Quincy Jones/Rod Temperton/Michael Jackson Off The Wall vibe quite successfully but would have sounded dated had it been released at that time.

Then there were sound effects. My dad had this record by Wes Harrison. Hadn't heard this in years...
That's what I heard years ago! Wow, that does bring back memories. I had a cassette copy of a copy of the LP my uncle owned. My cousin and I had half that thing memorized when we were kids. :D

Back
Top Bottom