Reeeeeeally BAD records... You know, ENTERTAININGLY BAD. So BAD that they're actually laughable!

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Don't forget the great Jonathan and Darlene Edwards:

But at least the records from these two were intentionally bad. In real life they are Jo Stafford and Paul Weston, and the idea was to make some really bad sounding records - for comedy effect.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
But at least the records from these two were intentionally bad. In real life they are Jo Stafford and Paul Weston, and the idea was to make some really bad sounding records - for comedy effect.
Definitely! In fact, my introduction to them was from a professional musician--he admires how cleverly they performed the music poorly.

In fact...here's one that is just as bad.

From the liner notes: "There will be those who question the inclusion of track 10. All I can say in my defense there is: (a) I come from the same gene pool that gave the world "Zero Tolerance for Silence," and (b) this was our small way of paying tribute to the great 'Jonathan and Darlene Edwards.'"

And to put it into a frame of reference, Mike is a Flugelhorn/EVI player, brother of Pat Metheny (who some here may have heard of). Pat recorded an album entitled Zero Tolerance for Silence that was basically 45-ish minutes of distorted guitar jamming. A small number of listeners call it "brilliant," most called it "noise," and some of us feel that since it was his final album for Geffen, it was both a throwaway album and a "middle finger" to Geffen on the way out the door.

DeeInKY

Definitely! In fact, my introduction to them was from a professional musician--he admires how cleverly they performed the music poorly.

In fact...here's one that is just as bad.

From the liner notes: "There will be those who question the inclusion of track 10. All I can say in my defense there is: (a) I come from the same gene pool that gave the world "Zero Tolerance for Silence," and (b) this was our small way of paying tribute to the great 'Jonathan and Darlene Edwards.'"

And to put it into a frame of reference, Mike is a Flugelhorn/EVI player, brother of Pat Metheny (who some here may have heard of). Pat recorded an album entitled Zero Tolerance for Silence that was basically 45-ish minutes of distorted guitar jamming. A small number of listeners call it "brilliant," most called it "noise," and some of us feel that since it was his final album for Geffen, it was both a throwaway album and a "middle finger" to Geffen on the way out the door.
That was refreshingly horrible! (Who recorded my clarinet practice? :biglaugh:)

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
That was refreshingly horrible! (Who recorded my clarinet practice? :biglaugh:)
Mike I believe used to be in education, so he probably learned to play most of the band instruments back in the day. I know he and his brother Pat were both trumpet players, but Pat took to the guitar like a fish to water, and the rest is history. I can only think of one tune that Pat may have played trumpet on, and it was "Forward March" from First Circle, which isn't too far removed from Mike's clarinet d'amour. :D (It plays like an out of tune band performance.)

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
Wow! that clarinet playing really is bad! And from a Metheny yet!
"There will be those who question the inclusion of track 10. All I can say in my defense there is: (a) I come from the same gene pool that gave the world "Zero Tolerance for Silence," and (b) this was our small way of paying tribute to the great 'Jonathan and Darlene Edwards.'"

"Old Wine/New Bossa"...

(AKA, Mike redeems himself. :wink: Aside from the tracks on the Day In, Night Out album, this is one of my favorites of his.)

AM Matt

By the way, don't forget about Danny Bonaduce 1973 MGM album & Ricky Segull 1973 Bell album which are both annoying!! Danny did NOT sang on his album!! Both albums did NOT charted in Billboard. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

reechie

I've had fun reading this thread, as these kind of albums are one of my pet things. Surprised to see one particular album not yet mentioned. If you thought Mrs. Miller was out there, imagine a Mrs. Miller knock-off, in which a shady music industry mogul brings his cantor father in to the recording studio, somewhat less than voluntarily, and has him sing an elpee's worth of recent hits. My friends, I give you one of the crown jewels of my record collection: Sam Chalpin's My Father The Pop Singer.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Obviously a failed a attempt to do a take off on Allan Sherman's "My Son the..." series on WB. Also reminds me of Gefilte Joe and the Fish...

(Yes, I'm a proud owner of that David's Star shaped piece of fine vinyl)

--Mr Bill

Top Bottom