Reeeeeeally BAD records... You know, ENTERTAININGLY BAD. So BAD that they're actually laughable!

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Hmmm. I didn't find that to be so bad. I think I might like it better then Squeeze's -- "Tempted" was NEVER a Squeeze song I cared much for, though I was happy it got them thrust into the limelight. Pretty amazing as I find Joe Cocker's voice irritating and don't care fpr much of his music. But this one is okay. Almost as much fun as watching John Belushi doing his Cocker impression.

--Mr Bill

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I've always liked "Tempted," but I primarily heard it on our local alternative rock station. Needless to say, I was surprised to find out it was Squeeze! The voice also sounded familiar--turns out Paul Carrack sang lead on the first Mike + The Mechanics album, which has long been a favorite of mine.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
There was another Paul Young, who was also the singer of Mike + The Mechanics (& with the British group Sad Cafe of the song "Run Home Girl" who made 2 albums for A&M in 1978 & 1979) who died back in 2010. (NOT the Paul Young of 1985 "Everytime You Go Away").

Another Son

I don't remember Joe Cocker's 'Tempted' but I think the original by Squeeze with Paul Carrack is excellent. (I can't access the video posted above - probably because I'm in a totally different part of the world).

But I do love a lot of Joe Cocker's earlier recordings.

rockdoctor

That's what I heard years ago! Wow, that does bring back memories. I had a cassette copy of a copy of the LP my uncle owned. My cousin and I had half that thing memorized when we were kids. :D
I still my copy of Wes Harrison's lp and I bought it on CD when I found it on Amazon.
I played it in the car with my socuts while traveling to a camping trip and they fell into hysterical laughter while it was playing.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I still my copy of Wes Harrison's lp and I bought it on CD when I found it on Amazon.
I played it in the car with my socuts while traveling to a camping trip and they fell into hysterical laughter while it was playing.
I listened to the Philips album on YouTube and it seems to be missing a couple of the parts I remember. I'm wondering if there are additional skits on one of the other records. Or maybe I just missed them.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Discogs shows a couple of different releases over the years, which is why I'm thinking there may have been another version out there.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I forgot to report in here for this one.

A rather feeble attempt at a "message" song...it's no "Kentucky Woman," that's for sure!

rockdoctor

One of the worst albums I ever heard was by an artist named David Ackles. He had two releases on Elektra. I bought one in a cutout bin at a department store for 10 cents! The music was good but his vioce was horrible. It got donated away quickly.

Top Bottom