Reeeeeeally BAD records... You know, ENTERTAININGLY BAD. So BAD that they're actually laughable!

toeknee4bz

Ok, everybody, we've all got at least one in our collection... one or more records that are so bad that you just can't get over the fact that it was even recorded, much less released. And we're not just talkin' about a record that you don't particularly "like". We're talking a record that is downright hilariously horrible.

I don't know if it could be considered the 'worst', but the track "Prisoner of War" from James (J.Y.) Young's CITY SLICKER album is a definite runner-up.

The most memorable BAD record in my memory has got to be "The Aloe and the Wildrose" from "CONFLUENCE" (later re-issued as "HAMBA KHALE!") by Gato Barbieri and Dollar Brand. Keep in mind that this was long before Gato signed to A&M and recorded those cherished tracks we all grew to know and love so well. This was early on (around 1968 or so) and was nothing like the later recordings. I'll go out on a limb and say that I dare you to sit through the entire 14 or 15 minutes of this crap. I mean, it's that bad. If you just want to endure the humorous parts, skip to around 5:18 or so. Go ahead. Enjoy:

Now, see? That kinda hurts, doesn't it?:uhhuh:
If you're still into pain after enduring this, check out "To Elsa" from the same album as well.

Last edited:
And then, of course, there's the Shaun Cassidy version of "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", from his abysmal final rock album "W.A.S.P.", produced by none other than Todd Rundgren. Now to be fair, I can understand that Cassidy wanted to shed his 'teen idol' image in favor of a more 'rocker' image, but come on. He wasn't even hitting the notes here. This was downright horrible. LAUGHINGLY horrible! And apparently, the public thought so as well.
:laugh: :biglaugh:

And then, of course, there's the Shaun Cassidy version of "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", from his abysmal final rock album "W.A.S.P.", produced by none other than Todd Rundgren. Now to be fair, I can understand that Cassidy wanted to shed his 'teen idol' image in favor of a more 'rocker' image, but come on. He wasn't even hitting the notes here. This was downright horrible. LAUGHINGLY horrible! And apparently, the public thought so as well.
:laugh: :biglaugh:

BAH!!!! The worst thing about this is Shaun Cassidy himself. He sounds like a rich teenager who's moving heaven and earth to be cool. He also sounds extremely inebriated. The band is performing admirably but the poor little rich kid just can't keep up. Rundgren must have been laughing his head off mixing this thing. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Ed

And now, I give you the inspiration for this thread. This is definitely what @toeknee4bz was thinking of when this thread was begun. I'm fairly certain you won't reach the end of it. I have and after you hear this, you'll wonder what that says about me:

Yes, I'm aware this rip has no bass. I promise that's the very least of it's problems.

Ed

I don't know if it could be considered the 'worst', but the track "Prisoner of War" from James (J.Y.) Young's CITY SLICKER album is a definite runner-up.

Oh, the insanity! This is David Byrne of the Talking Heads before he was dragged off to the ward in a straightjacket. That was likely the intention but the tune is...well...tuneless. It appears this is the sound they were going for. I just have no clue why they were going for it. This absolutely belongs here. LOL!!

Ed

I have that LP. What a shock when the second track started to play! :biglaugh: I only played the LP all the way through that one time. After that, I dubbed John's tracks onto cassette. I labeled the tape "Single Fantasy". :D
LOL now that's Hilarious.

Anyone ever listen to Hayseed Dixie? They have an AC/DC tribute in bluegrass style. The funny thing is that once you stop laughing "Highway to Hell" actually works as a bluegrass song. :biglaugh:
Dee, everything sounds better as bluegrass (at least that's what my father always insisted)! :banjo: Hayseed Dixie also did a cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody". I haven't decided if it's hilariously bad, or a work of genius. :biglaugh: I imagine Freddie Mercury is rolling in his grave about now...

I know it's a popular tune, but I always hated "Bicycle Race" by Queen and could never understand why it was a hit.

I also hated most "disco" albums by people who weren't "disco" artists. Elton John's Victim of Love and Sergio Mendes' Magic Lady come immediately to mind.

I never heard the Sister Janet Mead album, or the Ethel Merman disco album but I assume both of those were pretty cringworthy.

And then there was Mrs. Miller...
Now that's what I call BAD! :biglaugh:

Some of the comments on Youtube are pretty funny too. Examples:

"I'll never go downtown again, after hearing this."
"Perfect last-song of the night it will clear a club in less than a minute."
"Amazing - without the Grace!"

and my favorite comment:

"Still better than Taylor Swift " :laugh:

I do remember seeing Edu Lobo's Sergio Mendes Presents Lobo on some "worst albums of all time" list. I kind of enjoy that one though, if I'm in the mood for it.

I also hated most "disco" albums by people who weren't "disco" artists. Elton John's Victim of Love and Sergio Mendes' Magic Lady come immediately to mind.
Is that the Elton album with the disco version of "Johnny B. Goode"? If so, then I remember it all too well.

Back
Top Bottom