Reeeeeeally BAD records... You know, ENTERTAININGLY BAD. So BAD that they're actually laughable!

Oh yeah, the Ethel Merman disco album is cringeworthy in the extreme. It's just off the scale bad!

To think this was released by A&M... Herb and Jerry got some 'splainin' to do! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Bless you. I have just found my new favorite song of all time. This is absolutely genius. What does this say about me? LOL!!!!!!!

P.S.: Yes, this was absolutely an A&M Records release. How on Earth...

Ed

I won't mention the name (nobody would know it anyway), but one of the CDs I received in 1998 that pretty much ended my reviewing gig was by an alleged jazz musician located on the western side of Michigan. It was so important (to him) that I received both a CD and a cassette of it. :laugh:

Where to begin...the cover art was a picture of the dude in his spare bedroom studio surrounded by equipment. The text looked rather cheap, and the photos were cut sloppy. A third grader could have done better. The booklet had a few accolades from a local radio show host. The title even made no sense: My Voyage Beyond Its Boundaries.

But then, the music. It definitely has that "recorded at home" sound to it. The reverb sounded like what you'd find in a cheap PA mixing board or guitar amp, and he piped his trumpet through it. If I recall (I can't stomach listening to it again :laugh: ), it had noodling on the keyboards, and possibly even a drum machine as opposed to real drums. The whole thing seemed disjointed, and rank amateur. I think the first time I listened to it, I was in shock; the second time, I was in hysterics.

And I never could review it. I learned not to kick a person when they're down, or to make fun of the "challenged." :laugh: And that aforementioned radio host either was hard of hearing, or being overly polite.

What kills me is how this guy ever opened for Chick Corea at a local gig...

You didn't receive any notes with letters cut from the newspaper, did you?

We were subjected to some "alleged music" at the local Kroger the other week. These guys had just released a cd and somehow got a gig to play Friday night at the grocery. I couldn't figure out what they were doing at first. Sounded like they were playing two different songs... The next tune was better. At least they were both playing the same thing. That was just strange. :hmmm:

And then, of course, there's the Shaun Cassidy version of "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", from his abysmal final rock album "W.A.S.P.", produced by none other than Todd Rundgren. Now to be fair, I can understand that Cassidy wanted to shed his 'teen idol' image in favor of a more 'rocker' image, but come on. He wasn't even hitting the notes here. This was downright horrible. LAUGHINGLY horrible! And apparently, the public thought so as well.
:laugh: :biglaugh:

I love that album, especially the tracks "Cool Fire" and "WASP"...

Got all of the 6 albums that Shaun Cassidy reissued on CD!! The song "So Sad About Us" (from 1980 "WASP") reminds me of Todd Rundgren!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Rock critic Dave Marsh said about Shaun Cassidy, "The best teen idol of the 70's decade, if that's progress!!" (from the Rolling Stone Album Guide 1983 book) Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Ooof, where do I start? I am an avid collector of this sort of stuff. How 'bout "An Evening With Hugh Downs"? "You're My Girl: Romantic Reflections by Jack Webb"? "Bill Cullen's Minstrel Spectacular"? "Phyllis Diller - Born To Sing"? "Rock Gently: Rock Hudson Sings The Songs of Rod McKuen"? "Hogan's Heroes Sing The Best of World War II"? "And Me, I'm Ed McMahon"? "Allen Ludden Sings His Favorites"? "Chassidisco Fever"? (Disco with a Hassidic Jewish touch...) Two 101 Strings albums with orgasmic moans and gasps added? "Inner Views"? (Sonny Bono's only solo album...) The Frivolous Five's "Sour Cream and Other Delights"? (A spoof of guess what.) "Myron Floren's Disco Polka"? Yes, they're "for real," unlike online fakes such as Alan Hale's Roman Orgy...

And yes, I do own a copy of the Merman disco album...and before there was Mrs. Miller, bless her, there was Leona Anderson, the sister of silent-era cowboy hero "Bronco Billy" Anderson, who cheerfully billed herself as The World's Worst Singer, and whose "Music To Suffer By" may have contributed to the short life of RKO's record label.

And I thought Slim Whitman was Bad ( I so remember those tv albums they advertised of him) it was pathetically funny in a bad way to me as I was a kid. And I heard many jokes about him ( all of which I quickly forgot ) but that was the late 70s for you

How about this "tribute" (or is it a parody?) to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass... I gotta admit, they're good musicians, but the comments by the "band leader" are cringe worthy...

How about this "tribute" (or is it a parody?) to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass... I gotta admit, they're good musicians, but the comments by the "band leader" are cringe worthy...

Obviously a parody I've heard many of these I do agree another parody is the Garabedian players featuring "THE AWFUL TRUMPET OF HARRY ARMS" that speaks for itself the trumpet is so purposely out of tune and All Over the Place" I would call that" EVEN MORE CRINGE WORTHY"

Obviously a parody I've heard many of these I do agree another parody is the Garabedian players featuring "THE AWFUL TRUMPET OF HARRY ARMS" that speaks for itself the trumpet is so purposely out of tune and All Over the Place" I would call that" EVEN MORE CRINGE WORTHY"
OMG! You mean people actually paid money for this? :biglaugh::crazy:

QUOTE="Murray, post: 165440, member: 118"]OMG! You mean people actually paid money for this? :biglaugh::crazy:
[/QUOTE]
Actually I read that these were given away as freebies when people bought unrelated merchandise they were intended to be promotional items my question is
Would be "WHAT IN BLAZES WERE THEY PROMOTING OR THINKING??? " LOL

Back
Top Bottom