Reeeeeeally BAD records... You know, ENTERTAININGLY BAD. So BAD that they're actually laughable!

Ok, this one is just bad. But back in 2001, Direct Source released 4 Christmas CD’s under the Coca-Cola branding and carried the tag line “Celebrating with Coca-Cola”. The discs used the Coke logo and artwork (possible from Coca-Cola advertisements) with the Coke Santa Claus and seals/polar bear.

The disc called, “Celebrating The Holidays” contains recordings by two different choirs, The Russian Boys Choir & The Children’s Christmas Chorus. Now then what really makes this bad is the audio quality of the recordings! It sounds like Direct Source used a consumer audio tape that some parent or even the choir leader had made with your average 1990’s ghetto blaster set on a chair during the rehearsal for a school or church concert. The fidelity is very low, there is only piano for accompiament, and it is very hissy and muffled.

Here’s the Amazon listing for this album:

Amazon product ASIN B0000CNY57
I’ve got to wonder how Coca-Cola even approved this disc. The other 3 CD’s all came from studio masters and sound professional, but this CD, the recording is amateurish and the dynamic range is almost non-existent!

Back in the dark ages when I worked third shift, a couple of us were doing month end billing and broke into a few choruses of Fish Heads. Our manager walked in, thought there was something badly wrong with us, and backed away. :D

And from the “can’t figure out what genre I want to record in” school...

That one looks so silly that I want to get one, just out of curiosity! :laugh: Who knows? The royalties I pay today might put one of Lee Shot Williams' grandkids through college, or pay alimony or something. :D

OMG! You mean people actually paid money for this? :biglaugh::crazy:

No, they bought Pizzas, and got the record thrown in. This trumpet is so out of tune, it's not even in the same state as the rest of the musicians. Pass the AutoTune please. As bad as Tammy Fake Bakker trying to sing. 1 correct note out of 10,000,000.

Ah, yes...we had the album at the campus radio station, but we were instructed NEVER to play it. Very risque material for the late 1940's when it was recorded.

"Shaving Cream" had that 1975 resurgence thanks in large part to the success of Dr. Demento who played it and many other novelty tunes on his show...

--Mr Bill

Sinatra’s version of Mrs. Robinson is pretty terrible. I know Frank would put his own spin on things, but “How’s your bird, Mrs. Robinson?” Really?

A buddy and I used to get a kick out of Tony Bennett trying to sing "Something". It got some radio play and at about 3:00, he goes "Whew" as if the uptempo part nearly killed him.

I love Joe Cocker’s ‘Something’. I love most of Joe Cocker’s recordings up to the ‘Leave Your Hat On’ era - especially his late 60s / early 70s stuff. ‘Marjorine’, ‘Hitchcock Railway’, ‘The Letter’, ‘With a Little Help From My Friends’, ‘Feeling Alright’, ‘Something’, ‘She Came In Through the Bathroom Window’, ‘Delta Lady’, ‘Dear Landlord’ - all listeners’ heaven! Brilliant! Close family members of mine grew up about half an hour’s drive from where Joe Cocker grew up, though, so I never really noticed his accent.

One thing’s for sure - Joe Cocker definitely channeled Ray Charles!

Sinatra’s version of Mrs. Robinson is pretty terrible. I know Frank would put his own spin on things, but “How’s your bird, Mrs. Robinson?” Really?

Yes, it sounds as if Frankie isn’t invested in the lyrics or story at all. It sounds as if he could be singing any words to the melody and he wouldn’t mind, whatever.

The late Joe Cocker did a bad version of the Squeeze 1981 song "Tempted" in 1984 which was his worse remake!!

Back
Top Bottom