Reeeeeeally BAD records... You know, ENTERTAININGLY BAD. So BAD that they're actually laughable!

Hmmm. I didn't find that to be so bad. I think I might like it better then Squeeze's -- "Tempted" was NEVER a Squeeze song I cared much for, though I was happy it got them thrust into the limelight. Pretty amazing as I find Joe Cocker's voice irritating and don't care fpr much of his music. But this one is okay. Almost as much fun as watching John Belushi doing his Cocker impression.

--Mr Bill

I've always liked "Tempted," but I primarily heard it on our local alternative rock station. Needless to say, I was surprised to find out it was Squeeze! The voice also sounded familiar--turns out Paul Carrack sang lead on the first Mike + The Mechanics album, which has long been a favorite of mine.

There was another Paul Young, who was also the singer of Mike + The Mechanics (& with the British group Sad Cafe of the song "Run Home Girl" who made 2 albums for A&M in 1978 & 1979) who died back in 2010. (NOT the Paul Young of 1985 "Everytime You Go Away").

I don't remember Joe Cocker's 'Tempted' but I think the original by Squeeze with Paul Carrack is excellent. (I can't access the video posted above - probably because I'm in a totally different part of the world).

But I do love a lot of Joe Cocker's earlier recordings.

That's what I heard years ago! Wow, that does bring back memories. I had a cassette copy of a copy of the LP my uncle owned. My cousin and I had half that thing memorized when we were kids. :D
I still my copy of Wes Harrison's lp and I bought it on CD when I found it on Amazon.
I played it in the car with my socuts while traveling to a camping trip and they fell into hysterical laughter while it was playing.

I still my copy of Wes Harrison's lp and I bought it on CD when I found it on Amazon.
I played it in the car with my socuts while traveling to a camping trip and they fell into hysterical laughter while it was playing.
I listened to the Philips album on YouTube and it seems to be missing a couple of the parts I remember. I'm wondering if there are additional skits on one of the other records. Or maybe I just missed them.

Discogs shows a couple of different releases over the years, which is why I'm thinking there may have been another version out there.

I forgot to report in here for this one.

A rather feeble attempt at a "message" song...it's no "Kentucky Woman," that's for sure!

One of the worst albums I ever heard was by an artist named David Ackles. He had two releases on Elektra. I bought one in a cutout bin at a department store for 10 cents! The music was good but his vioce was horrible. It got donated away quickly.

I don't think Homer and Jethro belong in this thread... They're actually pretty amazing IMHO...

My favorite tune of theirs was called "She Was Bitten on the Udder by Adder" which tells the tale of an unfortunate cow's run in with a venomous viper...

--Mr Bill

A comedy topic would be a good idea... A&M didn't have many releases in that category -- Franklin Ajaye, Joey Forman (A&M's first comedy LP -- unless you're a Claudine and Montez hater), and Groucho Marx among a few others...

But there's enough to support the topic, especially if we include Ode's Cheech and Chong or I.R.S.'s Barry Diamond...

--Mr Bill

in the early 80s, as member of the Columbia record club, they sent me by mistake a Soft Cell LP.

Rather than return it I elected to open it and place it on my turntable.

Just once....

and for only a minute or so.

The AllMusic review even mentions this album "...is so bad as to be laughable." Given the selection of tunes and Mel Tormé's obvious jazz heritage, I'm going to give a spin (via Qobuz) to see just how bad it is. I would think it is as far removed from Swings Shubert Alley and Tormé (two favorites of mine from his Verve era) as one can possibly get. "Walk On By" and "Comin' Home Baby" might work, but the rest? 🤷‍♂️

1643475395389.png

Back
Top Bottom