Reference shots for MIA

Someday

Hi folks

I was looking at the Made in America album jacket today and was wondering if there were ever any reference photos taken for the art direction. It's fairly unusual to see R&K in profile. The images are pretty accurate (with the possible exception of Karen's 'stylised' eyebrows!) ... I'm thinking they may have posed for it (what a scoop if those surfaced!), but more likely the artist used older photos from the archive.

There's a photo out there of Karen and Richard with the guy that created the 'Made In America' cover. So, that would probably indicate he took photos of them and worked from those photos. Just guessing here. That would be a great question for Richard, though!

Hi folks

I was looking at the Made in America album jacket today and was wondering if there were ever any reference photos taken for the art direction. It's fairly unusual to see R&K in profile. The images are pretty accurate (with the possible exception of Karen's 'stylised' eyebrows!) ... I'm thinking they may have posed for it (what a scoop if those surfaced!), but more likely the artist used older photos from the archive.
I've always liked the cover...its got that art-deco '30s feel you'd see in a lot of posters back then.

I've always liked the cover...its got that art-deco '30s feel you'd see in a lot of posters back then.

It looks very cornball to me, the kind of thing they bitched about being boxed into image-wise for a decade and then seem happy signing off on when their career is in the gutter.

It looks very cornball to me, the kind of thing they bitched about being boxed into image-wise for a decade and then seem happy signing off on when their career is in the gutter.
Yeah, I was pretty horrified when I first laid eyes on the album cover in June of ‘81. It just screamed squeaky-clean to me.

Then, when I saw the inner sleeve photo, I was thrilled. I thought they both looked fantastic and immediately wished THAT was the cover.

Over the decades, I’ve come to like the cover better. Karen is depicted beautifully, but it was so far from ‘hip’.

Back
Top Bottom