Releases of "Offering"

Billy Rees

Just found out this...

As we all know Offering was released in 1969 and then re-issued as Ticket To Ride when Close To You was a hit. Although, it seems that after Close To You was a hit in South Africa, it was released in 1971 under it's original title. It was then re-issued in 1975 (Cat No: AMLP 8001) again as Offering.

But, I think I've discovered a way how to tell if you have the original pressing or a re-issue!

The original label says OFFERING in small font and CARPENTERS underneath in a larger size...

The Monarch Records version says CARPENTERS on top and OFFERING underneath it in the same size... (And has MR in a circle stamped on the rim around the label)

The last version swaps back to OFFERING on top and CARPENTERS underneath it in same size letters...

Both of those versions have "RE-1" scratched on the rim around the label, so I assume that means Re-Issue 1

So, therefore, I think the first pressing is the one with OFFERING on the label in small lettering!

I don't know if this is 100% correct, but I know a man who does... Chris May, over to you! :phones:

Just found out this...

As we all know Offering was released in 1969 and then re-issued as Ticket To Ride when Close To You was a hit. Although, it seems that after Close To You was a hit in South Africa, it was released in 1971 under it's original title. It was then re-issued in 1975 (Cat No: AMLP 8001) again as Offering.

But, I think I've discovered a way how to tell if you have the original pressing or a re-issue!

The original label says OFFERING in small font and CARPENTERS underneath in a larger size...

The Monarch Records version says CARPENTERS on top and OFFERING underneath it in the same size... (And has MR in a circle stamped on the rim around the label)

The last version swaps back to OFFERING on top and CARPENTERS underneath it in same size letters...

Both of those versions have "RE-1" scratched on the rim around the label, so I assume that means Re-Issue 1

So, therefore, I think the first pressing is the one with OFFERING on the label in small lettering!

I don't know if this is 100% correct, but I know a man who does... Chris May, over to you! :phones:
Yessir!

I still feel blessed to have an original pressing that was bought back in the day when there WAS ONLY an original pressing. It was my "play" copy for a few years until I finally bought a TICKET TO RIDE as an update.

Very interesting, and a little bittersweet I guess. I have many copies including a promo version. All have Offering and Carpenters the same size font. They all have RE-1 on the inner rim. No date on any of them either.

I am urgently looking for 'Someday' in piano music score form, (P.V.G) ..this is from "offering' /"Ticket to Ride'...and I have joined this forum in the hope that someone could supply it for me!! I need it to play for a special occasion/celebration that I have been asked to play for...at Christmas...any chance someone has the piano album with it in, or a sheet copy for me?? i would be SOOOO grateful....I have trawled through the internet and come up with nothing....Thank you so much. (willing to pay whatever, of course!)

I wonder of there is any difference in mixing/mastering of the Ticket to Ride album/CD from the original Offering LP?

Thinking about picking up the Japanese SHM CD version

I wonder of there is any difference in mixing/mastering of the Ticket to Ride album/CD from the original Offering LP?

I've never heard any difference in any iteration of OFFERING/TICKET TO RIDE. The only difference in sound has been with the single of "Ticket To Ride" / "Your Wonderful Parade" compared to the album versions.

I’ve found that the 1998 Remastered Version has more dynamic range on CD, because the signal/noise ratio is higher on CD than vinyl and the bass is more punchier because it didn’t have to be compressed, like it was on vinyl where the bass had to be compressed so that it didn’t cause the needle to jump out of the groove.

On the other hand, Ticket To Ride also sounds extremely rough on the 1998 CD because of that dynamic range. And it’s rougher sounding than the pink TTR from the late-70’s where CTY & WOJB sound very sterile in comparison. Of course a number of these songs have a couple of analog generations between their forms on vinyl and CD, and the raw tapes of all the pieces, since there’s a mix of Magic Lamp (3-4-track) and A&M recordings (8-track) (and I don’t think they were using Dolby noise reduction, except for making the final album master), so there’s a lot of hiss and analog tape anomalies that come through in digital, but are hidden on vinyl.

Does anyone have a Canadian pressing of Offering? I am hoping to add one to my collection. I would also be interested to know how many copies were pressed in Canada.

Anyone notice how that original pressing label says "Produced and orchestrated by Jack Daugherty"? I think Richard did all the orchestrations, didn't he? The original album credits don't mention orchestrations, but in Herb's liner note he does say that Richard "arranged" the songs. (which is basically the same thing, right?)

Does anyone have a Canadian pressing of Offering? I am hoping to add one to my collection. I would also be interested to know how many copies were pressed in Canada.
I think my copy is Canadian. But I can’t check as it’s in a record frame and the LP is in the jacket (although from what I recall, it might’ve only been the jacket that was lithoed in Canada and the vinyl was from the US).

Back
Top Bottom