Remixes or Originals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

What are the main differences with those remixes they have been putting on the compilations compared to the stuff on the reissues? I know that "Top of the World"'s opening notes sound slightly different than that of the remixes...Joe, puzzled online...

The Carpenters' early recordings were made using older stidio equipment. One of the things Richard discovered with the newer equipment was the ability to record his piano parts in stereo, with the whole sound of the piano spreading across the stereo image. That's one of the reasons for the remixes -- Richard wanted to improve the sound of the older recordings by re-recording his piano parts to better utilize the stereo "stage."

Often, you can spot a remix by comparing the piano parts. Another trademark of Richard's remixing is adding more reverb to Karen's vocals. There's no doubt that these remixes sound good and professional and all that, but there are some who prefer to hear these old songs the way they originally appeared on vinyl all those years ago. Since the REMASTERED CLASSICS series of original albums came out, and all of the main studio recordings can now be heard as they originally appeared on vinyl, I'm content to also hear the remixes. It's nice to have a choice.

Harry
NP: Carpenters GOLD

Joe said:
What are the main differences with those remixes they have been putting on the compilations compared to the stuff on the reissues? I know that "Top of the World"'s opening notes sound slightly different than that of the remixes...

I do know that the opening line was considerably different on the 1973 single version (AM-1468-S) than on the prior year's A Song for You LP (SP-3511). That other poster really hit the nail on the head with respect to Richard Carpenter's M.O.

But viz the previous response: I mostly prefer the mixes on the old 45's. Some 45's had different mixes than on the LP's. Barry White (A&M artist emeritus) was one such case: his 45 versions of "I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More Baby," "Honey Please, Can't Ya See," "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe," "I'll Do For You Anything You Want Me To" and "You See the Trouble With Me" differed radically, mix-wise, from the versions on the original LP's from which they'd emanated. And the mixes on his 1975 LP Barry White's Greatest Hits differed sharply from all of the above.

One other thing I've noticed is that the bass drum and bass guitar are a lot "punchier" on the remixes. That and the re-recorded parts are what stick out the most. Keep in mind that most of the early Carpenters albums (up through Horizon), I grew up listening to them endlessly, just like I did some other albums...so while something doesn't immediately jump out as different, I can sort of sense that it's not what I remember. One stinker is the remix of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town." This newer version even has a different sax solo, which I don't like as much as the original. "Top Of The World" I like a lot better in the original LP version because it's a lot cleaner (in terms of extra instrumental parts tacked on).

-= N =-

For the remixes, Richard didn't only re-record piano, but also drums and sometimes bass guitar in stereo. If it had been technically possible in the early Carpenters days, this would have happened from the beginning; but the early recording tapes didn't have that much tracks, so only some instruments could be recorded in stereo.

I prefer the remixes, because now those songs sound as they always should have sounded.

Concerning Top Of The World:
The main difference between the first release of this song on the A SONG FOR YOU album and the first remix for the SINGLES album is that Karen recorded a new lead vocal, which sounds much better than on the album version. There are also some instrumental changes.

Bruno

And speaking of Karen Carpenter re-recording her vocals: "Top of the World" wasn't the only Carpenters song with two different vocal takes. She also re-recorded her vocal on "Merry Christmas Darling" at some point (maybe for the Christmas Portrait LP?). This is most obvious the second time she sings "Happy New Year too"; on the original 45, she drops to a low note on the word "year" as she did the first time she sang it, but on the re-recording, she stayed on the same note on "new" and "year." I'm not sure if the original version has appeared on CD or not, though I have it on the original 45 and several vinyl compilation LPs.

8) I love the originals they are classic. Though I also love the remixes just as much. Richard Carpenter's remixing gives the songs a tad bit more dynamics.

Tim Neely said:
And speaking of Karen Carpenter re-recording her vocals: "Top of the World" wasn't the only Carpenters song with two different vocal takes. She also re-recorded her vocal on "Merry Christmas Darling" at some point (maybe for the Christmas Portrait LP.

Right you are, Tim. That original "Merry Christmas Darling" made it to the FROM THE TOP box set.

Off the top of my head, I can think of another Karen Carpenter re-record, "Ticket To Ride." The original, raw recording came of course on the OFFERING/TICKET TO RIDE album, ad was re-recorded for the SINGLES 1969-1973.

I do believe that Karen was just as much a perfectionist as Richard, as she was quoted as saying that there was a bunch of songs from the early days that she wanted to re-record.

Harry
NP: early morning silence

Hi All,

This topic always causes great debate with Carpenters Fans !

When we met Richard Carpenter after the 1997 CPAC concerts, several Fans asked why tracks were remixed and Richard's thoughts on remixes/originals.

Richard's pragmatic reply was "There was often insufficient time to record, mix and complete several key Singles and Album cuts due to A&M deadlines /planned concerts.There were tracks that required more work and some with errors to correct.I know some fans do not like the changes, but if there are changes to be made , the original Artists should complete the work".

Richard mentioned "Bless the Beasts, Ticket To Ride and We've only Just Begun" as tracks and "Baby It's You" where due to deterioration in the original , re-recording was required.

The ideal CD Catalogue re-issue programme would include the whole original album's tracks , followed by the remixes which allows Fans to compare and enjoy both ( or more versions).

2004 (35th Anniversary)would be ideal AFTER UNIVERSAL is no longer Carpenters music company...... :laugh: :laugh:

Peter....Dreaming of a post Universal music collection.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom