Restored TV Specials

TjbBmb

At one of the concerts I attended, Herb said, “I think we are in the process of that,” when answering a question regarding the restoration of the classic tv specials. If it is indeed happening, that would be a treat. Let’s hope!

I wonder how much Herb keeps track of the day to day activities of his label. Seems like he would prefer just focusing on music and touring and leave the nuts ‘n bolts to the support crew.

What Tjb said about Herb mentioning the restoration of the TV specials: for YEARS I've been waiting to hear that! Back in the day, I'd go to J&R Music World(and other record stores for that matter) on Tuesdays to see if there was any release of his specials on DVD. However, his nephew Randy, when he came to the Forum if I recall correctly said that probably would be somewhat impossible due to the fact that the original reels are old and probably tattered, so it most likely could not be remastered correctly; even with today's technology. However, we shall see, we shall see. Also, on his website(and also on youtube) there are lots of the videos from the specials that look remastered to me, and they come under the banner of "Herb Alpert Presents". So, we'll see what happens.

If (and when) the specials come out on DVD, maybe Herb can do commentary on them to show how the specials were made and how certain videos came about. Well, like I said, we'll see.

What Tjb said about Herb mentioning the restoration of the TV specials: for YEARS I've been waiting to hear that! Back in the day, I'd go to J&R Music World(and other record stores for that matter) on Tuesdays to see if there was any release of his specials on DVD. However, his nephew Randy, when he came to the Forum if I recall correctly said that probably would be somewhat impossible due to the fact that the original reels are old and probably tattered, so it most likely could not be remastered correctly; even with today's technology. However, we shall see, we shall see. Also, on his website(and also on youtube) there are lots of the videos from the specials that look remastered to me, and they come under the banner of "Herb Alpert Presents". So, we'll see what happens.

If (and when) the specials come out on DVD, maybe Herb can do commentary on them to show how the specials were made and how certain videos came about. Well, like I said, we'll see.
They were able to clean up the stuff from "The Brass Are Comin'" for HERB ALPERT IS... so I have my fingers crossed. Every copy I've seen of that until then was in really grim shape.

One of our staffers on another forum works with restorations like these--the technology available today can make restoring these old programs much easier, with much better results than in the past.

This is one batch of specials that probably wouldn't see much barrier to being released, assuming Herb owns the rights to them. If he doesn't, might be a little more difficult. A lot of specials back then used to have multiple "guest stars" that would cause the rights to be very difficult to get -- but if I remember anyway, Herb's specials were mostly just him and the Brass weren't they? I don't seem to remember any "guest stars" although it's been decades since I've seen any of them all the way through!

This is one batch of specials that probably wouldn't see much barrier to being released, assuming Herb owns the rights to them. If he doesn't, might be a little more difficult. A lot of specials back then used to have multiple "guest stars" that would cause the rights to be very difficult to get -- but if I remember anyway, Herb's specials were mostly just him and the Brass weren't they? I don't seem to remember any "guest stars" although it's been decades since I've seen any of them all the way through!
Petula Clark was in The Brass Are Comin'...I think...

This is one batch of specials that probably wouldn't see much barrier to being released, assuming Herb owns the rights to them. If he doesn't, might be a little more difficult.
That's the major issue everyone overlooks--it's not up to the artist to decide if their television specials are released. It's up to whoever owns the rights to those specials. If an artist can somehow gain ownership of the titles, or license them, then restoration efforts can go forward. Otherwise, it won't happen.

It's like so many music artists who signed their careers away to the record labels that now own their masters; something they created can't even be accessed anymore, regardless of how much they might want to reissue it, or how much fans might want the titles. It's only in the past couple of decades where many artists, some who have been burned in the past, have now decided to record and own their masters, then only license or lease them out to labels.

That's the major issue everyone overlooks--it's not up to the artist to decide if their television specials are released. It's up to whoever owns the rights to those specials. If an artist can somehow gain ownership of the titles, or license them, then restoration efforts can go forward. Otherwise, it won't happen.

It's like so many music artists who signed their careers away to the record labels that now own their masters; something they created can't even be accessed anymore, regardless of how much they might want to reissue it, or how much fans might want the titles. It's only in the past couple of decades where many artists, some who have been burned in the past, have now decided to record and own their masters, then only license or lease them out to labels.
Rights to the individual songs might be an issue as well.

AS I recall from a prior discussion, Steve S. claimed that Herb owned all of the rights to the old TV specials.

The only time on that 1969 NBC TV Special "The Brass Are Comin'" that Herb & Petula & the Glen Glenn Sound laugh track was only used!!

It appears that Herb did a "Desi Arnaz" and retained ownership of his three TV specials. TJB Television, Inc. was formed in late 1966, and is still a registered California corporate entity. IIRC, the shows aired on CBS-TV for the initial showing and the 'encore' presentation was on NBC-TV. Not sure about the 4th or Sentry special from 1974. As for the tunes contained therein, I believe that new clearances would be required. As an example, "Lemon Tree" was supposed to be in the Box Set, however, permission was not granted. Further, the quality of the archived material would likely be the primary consideration.

My recollection about the Sentry special is that it was likely syndicated as a first-run special. In the Philly market, it ran on WPVI-TV Channel 6, the ABC affiliate for the market. My home recording on reel-to-reel was from my FM tuner which picked up Channel 6's analog audio on 88.75mhz.

Yes, the Sentry special was originally aired on ABC-TV - I have press photos and release info with ABC all over it. I do believe that it was later syndicated as I caught it on a NY City channel about 2 years later.

You're right Steve; the Sentry special with the Muppets was done for ABC and Mike, Petula Clark wasn't the only "guest star" on The Brass Are Comin' special; there was a comedian by the name of Jack Burns who was on the special as well, he was the guy on the beach who was hassling Herb about a song that he wrote that might be perfect for the Brass. Also, there were cameos from big stars of the era: Henry Fonda, Johnny Carson, Jimmy Stewart, Lorne Greene, and Gene Kelly.

P.S.: Ironic touch: the Jim Henson Company now OWNS the lot that was formerly A&M Records! Ironic touch indeed...

Petula Clark, Jack Burns, The Merry-Go -Round come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom