resurfacing 12' laser discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

I how is everyone? I got a question, does anyone know how to repair or resurface a 12" laser disc that were out back in the 80's becasue I got paul mccartney rockshow. which I do not think will ever be released on DVD.
any way, on one song it freezes up. so I tried to clean it. and it looks like a audio cd and DVD. so I used the commerical cleaners they have in the stores. so I can't resurface it like you would on audio cds and DVD. any help for any one who might have had that problem. I bought the disc on EBY.
bob

Hi bob,

The problem may not be one of needing cleaning, but of a common problem with LaserDiscs called "laser rot". Basically a number of discs were manufactured poorly and allowed themselves to become oxidized.

This is sometimes quite visible by looking at the disc. It there is any discoloration, yellowing, browning, then the disc is oxidized (laser rot).

There's not much you can do about it. If you see this discoloration, then you might want to dub off the parts that DO work onto DVD, while the rest of the LaserDisc still plays.

Harry

thanks harry. that is what I did transfered over to DVD. as you said the disc looks shiny like a new one. but I did notice a small indintation like a defect but I thought the laser would read over it.
so any way thanks for answering my question
take care
bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom