REVIEW: Richard Carpenter concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

Richard Carpenter performed a rare concert on March 1st at the Carpenter performing arts center. The event was called “Top of the world” and was a benefit for the school education program at the Center.

Richard was joined by a quartet, featuring the great Tommy Morgan in harmonica. Tommy is the legendary harp player who performed on many of the Carpenters original A&M recordings. Other band members were Tim May, Kenny Wild, and Dick Weller. Richard opened his performance with “Yesterday Once More”. It was the same arrangement that was performed on his solo album. He followed with “I need to be in love”. Richard said he always was troubled as to why this song was never a top five record. He said he felt vindicated 22 years later when the song went Platinum in Japan. (It was used on a popular television series) This song was also performed as an instrumental.

He then performed three tunes from his yet to be released Christmas album. “Together at Christmas” was performed with Richard on vocals. The hit of the evening was a new holiday song called “All I want is you”. His young song Collin joined Richard to sing this tune. He was great!. He had the stage presence and poise to make the crowd jump to its feet. (I think he’s only 6!) Richard then tried to follow his son with a beautiful new song called “Things change”. Richard said he wants his new Christmas CD to be 98% original songs.

He concluded his performance with “Top of the world”. It’s always great to see Richard perform, and it always boggles my mind why he performs so seldom. Maybe it’s the young brood of children he and Mary have that keeps him close to home?

By the way, the Carpenter grand piano was auctioned off for $25,000 to a silent bidder. For the many Carpenter fans that had flown into Long Beach for the event, I am sure they had a great time. And if the three new songs Richard performed are any indication of his new CD, it will be a welcomed addition next fall. Richard said he is still with A&M records and proud of it.

Jeff

Thanks for the review, Jeff. It's welcome reading for those fans unable to attend the event.

Harry
...keeping on top of the world, online...

Thanks for the review Jeff. Did Tim May play guitar? I believe he used to play with Gloria Estefan.

Thanks

Scott

It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself, Jeff! Richard and Mary's kids seem to be very talented. Wonder which one of them will follow in their Dad's footsteps?!! Thanks so much for your comments. It does mean a great deal to those of us who can't go to these things.

As for the piano, it went to a silent bidder? Hmmmm, that gives me a thought. I wonder if Richard himself bid on it and donated the money to the center?!!!! Wouldn't surprise me one bit! I think he is a very generous and caring person.

Marilyn
online, in anticipation of more comments from Peter when he gets back home!!

scottb said:
Thanks for the review Jeff. Did Tim May play guitar? I believe he used to play with Gloria Estefan.

Tim May is a seasoned session man, and was one of the guitarists on Herb Alpert's Rise album.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
scottb said:

Tim May is a seasoned session man, and was one of the guitarists on Herb Alpert's Rise album.

Capt. Bacardi

Tim May's worked with Richard Carpenter quite a bit. He appears on the Carpenters' Made In America and Voice Of The Heart, as well as Richard's solo albums Time and P.A.C.C., and the albums he produced for Scott Grimes, Akiko, and Veronique Beliveau. He seems to be the successor to Tony Peluso.

Harry
...reading credits, online...

If I am not mistaken, Tim May also did the guitar work on "Back To The Future"..."Johnny B. Goode" scene at the dance....Interesting! -Chris

Interesting I wonder if he is the same Tim May that toured with Gloria Estefan in the mid 90's. He did some great acoustic guitar work with her.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom