Review: Saratoga Concert 8/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Reiss

Saw Herb perform in Saratoga. He was clear having a good time. Besides his original sound, one thing that sets him apart from most jazz players is his sense of humor. Lani was also on fire, beautifully vocally. Herb was definitely stretching out within the tunes. And I have to say, their versions of the songs from "I Feel You" were so much better than the ones on the album, as well as "Anything Goes." I had never seen him perform in person before. His music was always such a big part of my parents parties, and I've always associated that music with the happiness of that period in my parents lives and the great childhood I had in Freehold, New Jersey.

I had a chance to meet him, have my picture taken with him, and then tell him that I put his music on an iPod and through earphones placed them on my dying Dad as I showed him pictures of our family while he drifted away from us on morphine. I said, "I wanted him to leave this world thinking he was dancing with our Mom to your music." I gave him a bottle of wine I made in memory of my Dad, I work part-time at Skov Winery in the Santa Cruz Mountains, as well as a proof of my novel "Blind Guys Break 80," where Herb's music represents the poetical link that binds the family to all the things they love. The book is coming out this September (2011).

During the show he took questions. I asked Herb why no TJB live album, he said they recorded at the Hollywood Bowl and Carnegie Hall, but because the sound of the TJB was him in the studio overdubbing the horns, he didn't like the sound and destroyed the tapes. Amazing. I also said mariachi is so strident, how did he tone down the sound to create the TJB--he was blown away by the question and said,"I never listened to mariachi music, I mainly just like the the trumpet intro to the bull fight. That's what I got caught up in."

I have to say the next day I was completely emotionally exhausted. I had never seen him, and I wanted to tell him how much his music has been a part of my family's life and how much happiness it has brought and continues to bring. Some of it was part of closure since both my wonderful parents are on the other side. Like Herb says, stay honest. But the night was everything I hoped it would be. The thing I like most is I feel in our picture he has a warm look. He is a true gentleman, gracious, a polite. And Lani is the same. She told me his solo work is going to go digital soon (Fandango on CD, nice, as well as the hugely under rated work he did with Hugh Masakela).
I just wanted to share.

Thanks for the thoughts, Fred! Good reading.

I moved this from the I Feel You review thread since this was about Herb & Lani's performance in Saratoga.

Thanks for the report. Too bad Herb destroyed those tapes instead of
just putting them in a vault somewhere. Destroying them sounds like
something Brian Wilson would have done back in the day, seems a tad
extreme to say the least. And I have to disgree with Herb that the TJB
live doesn't translate to live recordings, just listen/watch the Royal Festival
Hall performance.

What songs from "I Feel You" did they play live in Saratoga? Did Herb
Herb sing "Something Cool" solo by any chance?

Good report, Fred! :thumbsup: The Herb/Hugh album will probably be reissued...but I'd be even more ecstatic if the Main Event Live album would see light of day. Good playing on that one!

...but I'd be even more ecstatic if the Main Event Live album would see light of day!

Especially if (as bonus tracks) they include some live versions of the tunes from the first album that we know were recorded...

I'm with Rudy on the Main Event Live. I love that recording and always have, as I'm as much a fan of Mr Masekela's music as well as Mr Alpert. I still think that version of Besame Mucho the best, much as I like the Anything Goes version. And Gwangwa on the trombone...ahhhh. Put both Masekela/Alpert cds on one so far as I am concerned.

Here's a funny thing: I did not know the song Skookian had such a history. Give me a google or a youtbe and check that out. Paul Anka even recorded it (I like Anka but found that weird...).

When I saw them at Lincoln Center, they indicated that Ms. Hall's stuff was being digitally remastered "as we speak". Has anyone heard of anything regarding a release?

There are probably tapes from that entire concert, enough to fill a CD with extra tunes. That would be cool!

Oh, well. Still hope they get re-released. Love Mr Alpert but love Mr Masekela just the same, if not more so...!

BTW, poking around on amazon yesterday and today and saw that the mp3 albums of Anything Goes and I Feel You are both five dollars. Not that anyone on this list probably needs it, so just offering a public service announcement today since I can't get residuals for these referrals...lol).

Does anyone know when Lani Hall's solo stuff will be released? As I said previously, they referenced this when I saw them as Jazz at Lincoln Center in February.

drs

I appreciate that you read my piece. It was like fitting in the last piece of my childhood, or placing a flower in memory of my parents. I put the picture in my living room. At least I don;t look liker some crazy dork. I have an immense regard for his talent, There were several questions I would have liked to ask Herb, these two for example: "What do you think of the label smooth jazz? And Bumps Blackwell, who produced hits for Sam Cooke was one of your mentors on structuring a hit record, what did you learn from him?...Was there are Beatles song that was too difficult for you to arrange? And what group auditioned for you in the A&M days that you missed on? And why no autobiography?"

I recently came out with my novel, which I presented to Herb, and you can read about it on two sites. I only mention it because the main character's connection to his music is one of the main threads that links him and his family together. http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/entertainment/ci_18899161 and http://freehold.patch.com/articles/new-novel-offers-glimpse-into-1960s-freehold and a youtube video I did where in part of the segment I talks about his influence on the neighborhood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBEgEjkFyU

Thanks for the report. Too bad Herb destroyed those tapes instead of
just putting them in a vault somewhere. Destroying them sounds like
something Brian Wilson would have done back in the day, seems a tad
extreme to say the least. And I have to disgree with Herb that the TJB
live doesn't translate to live recordings, just listen/watch the Royal Festival
Hall performance.

What songs from "I Feel You" did they play live in Saratoga? Did Herb
Herb sing "Something Cool" solo by any chance?

He didn't play 'Something Cool' or 'I Feel You' (Have to say my memory is shaky on that one). The concert was a memorable harmonic blur. The one thing that was clearly funny is that he hates requests. Someone yelled out "Mas Que Nada." And he nodded and mumbled, "Yeah, it's a nice song." Then talked about something else/ He also clearly likes his musicians to challenge him by drifting off. Hey, the guy still has his lip. One tune I think the TJB would have done wonderfully is "Jesus Joy" by Apollo 100.

he hates requests
He has said that he was hesitant to start touring again for fear people would yell out requests for old songs. The request for "Mas Que Nada" was kind of interesting though, considering that Lani has done it twice -- the original version, and her slow version on Brasil Nativo. They could probably have worked up a weird hybrid of the two versions -- who knows, maybe they still will.

I have a request, Herb. Play whatever the heck you'd like!

Harry

Hi made an error, the one tune I think the TJB would have done wonderfully is "Jesu Joy" or "Joy" by Apollo 100. Didn't want people to think I was some kind of religious freak, which I'm not, the human spirit is enough for me. Although I'd rather hear Herb play than Gabriel. Trivia wise, there was only one recorded song Lani and Herb and Sergio did together, and that's "Dreamer" on the album Encanto.

I don't know the song, but I'll check it out....and since Jesu is simply latin for Jesus, I don't think you need to worry that an extra s turns you into a 'religious freak', as you put it....:) (And remember, Herb recorded "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring" on his Christmas album!)

Aha - it's the same song!! You'd be surprised, I think, to hear Herb's version - slow and contemplative, with a thick choral vocal arrangement......JS Bach would be proud....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom