Revisited/Fresh Look at "Live in Japan"

If anyone is curious, by the way... obi is Japanese for "sash" or "belt." Japanese books to this day are sold with "obi", and since book obi are horizontal, you can really see why they're called a sash/belt in Japanese.

img_7018-2.jpg

Here's a quick scan of the rear of the obi from LIVE IN JAPAN:

scan0014.jpg

Mine was just my own obi with a quick and dirty single scan. I removed a bit of yellowing, but that's all. Ed's looks better as I only did a 200 dpi scan.

@Cuyler: I have a special request. There's an insert inside of a Japanese promotional release for BACHARACH! BACHARACH! BACHARACH!, and I believe it is in reference to the last track on the disc. The track listing lists Shawn Phillips singing "Lost Horizon" but the actual recording is Burt Bacharach's own version. Here's the insert:

1624720329938.png

@Cuyler: I have a special request. There's an insert inside of a Japanese promotional release for BACHARACH! BACHARACH! BACHARACH!, and I believe it is in reference to the last track on the disc. The track listing lists Shawn Phillips singing "Lost Horizon" but the actual recording is Burt Bacharach's own version. Here's the insert:

1624720329938.png
Thank goodness for Mac's Chinese handwriting feature, to help me decode the kanji (Chinese characters).

Here's a transcription of what it says in Japanese:

関係各位殿

お詫びと訂正

本CD中23曲め「LOST HORIZON」(SHAWN PHILLIPS)となっておりますが、(BURT BACHARACH)ヴァージョンが収録されております。訂正しお詫びいたします。尚、このヴァージョンを収録いたしております「リヴィング・トゥゲザー」は今秋発売予定です。

ポリドール株式会社 ポピュラー本部

English translation (I hope it's right—using a dictionary and Google Translate mostly):

To whom it may concern:

Apology and correction

Track 23 on this CD is "Lost Horizon" (Shawn Phillips); but the recording of Burt Bacharach version is included. We apologize for the correction/revision. Furthermore, "Living Together" is planned to go on sale this fall, making this recorded version available.

Polydor Kabushiki-gaisha (i.e. Ltd.) Popular Headquarters
I hope that makes sense! This is a more formal register of Japanese, so there's a lot of passive voice and talking around the issue; I tried to reflect that in the English translation, mostly for cultural/voice reasons, even though there could be more straightforward ways to address the issue. My knowledge of Japanese is more relegated to the informal sphere, but it's good to learn about these different formal registers/business Japanese. :D

Thank you Cuyler. That's what I expected it to say, and you confirmed it.

Back
Top Bottom