Rhino Handmade: Dionne Warwick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Two of Dionne Warwick's highly sought-after original albums from the '60s, Promises, Promises and I'll Never Fall In Love Again have been put together as a two-fer limited edition from Rhino Handmade. I'd heard this was planned, but recently got confimation from fellow forum member Scott B. who also informs me that the correct original "This Girl's In Love With You" is contained on the CD. Apparently there's a longer version which ended up on Rhino's Hidden Gems disc and several other compilations. It goes through the tune three times instead of the usual two, inflating the running time to almost 6 minutes. But this Handmade disc seems to correct the situation, from what I'm told, bringing the song in at its listed length of 4:20.

Both of these albums contain numerous Bacharach/David tunes. It'll be great to finally have them upgraded from the old Scepter vinyl.

I've placed my order - the edition is limited to 5000 copies. The link is here.

Harry
...passing along the info, online...

"Highly sought- after"-it's amazing what a few decades can do to music. Scepter Records,the original label for these albums(and many more Bacharach songs)were notorious for over-pressing and I would never buy one of their albums first time around. Within a few months Woolworths would have the title in their $1.99 bin-where I scored both of these on vinyl. Evidently,whoever was in charge of estimating how many copies could really sell had a cloudy crystal ball. Hmm.... The CD era has not kind to Dionne-even with Rhino's hits collections,her catalog has been scattered all over and relegated to the hits. To think that is not until 2003 that these individual albums are available-granted on a 2fer1 the way they should be-but the twofer costs twenty bucks plus freight in limited quanities-ouch! Mac

My copy of this Dionne warwick two-fer arrived the other day. It's number 0481 of 5000. The best part for me is that I finally have on CD the *original* mix of "Who Is Gonna Love Me?", an old favorite tune of mine. Other releases, including Rhino's HIDDEN GEMS used an alternate recording for this song, so it's nice to have it the way my mind remembers it.

There are a few bonus tracks as well as the two albums:

Dream Sweet Dreamer (b-side to "This Girl's In Love With You"
Odds And Ends (Scepter single #12256)
They Say It's Wonderful (from Musicor ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK A HEART)

Most of the tracks on the CD were engineered by Phil Ramone, with Larry Levine handling those duties on several recordings.

CD was mastered by Dan Hersch & Bill Inglot.

There is a nice booklet with full pictures of front and back LP covers as well as liner notes by David Nathan for the CD.

Harry
NP: radio at work

I should order this one before it disappears...although I'd gladly take a "complete" CD of all of Dionne's Bacharach recordings if it were ever made available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom