Richard Carpenter Autograph

adamj95

Okay, so after taking some time to calm down, I just opened the package I got back from Richard Carpenter. I computed this picture in my package to him asking him kindly to autograph it. I explained to him my admiration of him and Karen’s music and how much it has helped me deal with tough times in my life. I was not expecting to get a response back or the picture signed at all, I just thought it was worth it to explain to him how much their music means to me and if I get a response, that’s a bonus. Little did I expect to come home today and see this package in my mailbox. Here’s what was inside. I am absolutely incredulous.

It's kind of hard to understand what is written on the photo I got sent back, is it supposed to read "To Adam, Richard Carpenter?" It's just kind of illegible.

Yeah that’s awesome, just so you guys know, if you decide to write to Richard don’t send it to the PO Box address on the old website, my letter came back to me after I sent it there. Then I resent it to a different address I found online but I may have sent it to the wrong place again… 😂

How awesome! I wrote to Richard back in 2006 explaining how Carpenters music has helped me in tough times and how much I love their music and I didn't expect a reply - although it was unexpected as i live in the UK, but imagine my surprise when i found a personally signed letter and an autographed picture from the Made in America sessions. I've had to put the photo in a plastic wallet to keep it from getting torn or scratched etc:)

Okay, so after taking some time to calm down, I just opened the package I got back from Richard Carpenter. I computed this picture in my package to him asking him kindly to autograph it. I explained to him my admiration of him and Karen’s music and how much it has helped me deal with tough times in my life. I was not expecting to get a response back or the picture signed at all, I just thought it was worth it to explain to him how much their music means to me and if I get a response, that’s a bonus. Little did I expect to come home today and see this package in my mailbox. Here’s what was inside. I am absolutely incredulous.

So awesome!! I wrote to Richard last summer and was so pleased that he wrote back and answered all my curiosities about the Carpenters music. The letter was printed on letterhead and signed by Richard. I have it framed!

Yeah that’s awesome, just so you guys know, if you decide to write to Richard don’t send it to the PO Box address on the old website, my letter came back to me after I sent it there. Then I resent it to a different address I found online but I may have sent it to the wrong place again… 😂
That happened to me! My letter was returned and so I just did a search for any address I could find and sent it without knowing what would happen. I figured I already wrote the letter and didn't have anything to lose!

I reached out and sent Richard a letter a few weeks back. I explained to him that my favorite song by him and Karen is “Those Good Old Dreams”. Not only did he sent me an autographed picture back, but he sent me a copy of “Those Good Old Dreams” and he signed the sleeve it came in. I am shocked he would do something so kind.

On June 1st of this year I sent a letter to Richard with 3 photos to sign. Today, August 31st, my 3 photos were returned without a signature and a letter saying that my photos were unauthorized and that Richard makes a policy of not signing them. However, two extra photos came back, signed by Richard and with a dedication! I've never been so happy!

Today, August 31st, my 3 photos were returned without a signature and a letter saying that my photos were unauthorized and that Richard makes a policy of not signing them.

So pleased for you, something to treasure indeed. Which photos did you send him that were unauthorised? I’m curious to know.

Puzzling, especially when the second one has the official logo on it. I thought you were going to share pictures you’d taken of them at a concert on a private camera or something, but these are hardly unauthorised. They’re from official photo shoots.
I think it has to do with the copyright issue. Not just the photographers, but the Carpenters as well. The first two photos (from the "A Kind of Hush" and Richard's 1973 shoot) I found on Google and printed. Now the last picture (of the Carpenters in Lake Tahoe), I photocopied from my own copy of "Carpenters: The Musical Legacy". So, I understand that perhaps Richard wants to preserve this copyright issue, something that, on reflection, I thought was the best thing to do.

Considering it's been over 40 years since MIA came out it's amazing he still has press stuff left to send to the fans...and off his own bat.
Congrats, guys.

Neil
I think this "Made In America" photograph I received must really be from 1981. When I looked at the back of the photo, I noticed that it had some yellowish stains.

Considering it's been over 40 years since MIA came out it's amazing he still has press stuff left to send to the fans...and off his own bat.
Congrats, guys.

Neil
Perhaps that’s what’s considered to be “authorized,” if it’s from the official press material given out to the artists. It’s very generous of Richard to willingly give it out to his fans. Most celebs nowadays likely would not care enough to do that for a fan.

Perhaps that’s what’s considered to be “authorized,” if it’s from the official press material given out to the artists. It’s very generous of Richard to willingly give it out to his fans. Most celebs nowadays likely would not care enough to do that for a fan.
Yes! Richard really is very generous. Many artists send pre-signed photos or preprint autographs. It's very kind of him to not only sign the photos himself, but also insert a dedication!

Richard came through again! I’m still in awe that he still takes time to respond to fan mail. I reached out a few weeks back and sent him some Christmas items and asked if he would sign them. It’s almost that time of year so I got a head start on my Christmas decor. Only a few more weeks until Merry Christmas Darling becomes a daily staple 🎄🎅

IMG_4550.jpegIMG_4551.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom