šŸŽ¤ Interview Richard Carpenter discusses new book on TalkShopLive, September 16 @ 7 p.m. Eastern

...and he'll be glad to play it for ya babe, so... let's hear it...
OMG! This could be the all-time funniest thread Iā€™ve ever seen on the forum. ā€¦ But, Chris, it IS a shame that you totally forgot to make that BIG ā€œCPā€ announcement ā€” after ALL the time UMe put into that detailed marketing material RIGHT in your hands!
Maybe NEXT autumn.
šŸ¤£

But, Chris, it IS a shame that you totally forgot to make that BIG ā€œCPā€ announcement ā€” after ALL the time UMe put into that detailed marketing material RIGHT in your hands!
He couldn't get a word in edgewise with you hawking that book-thing constantly...

:laugh:

Just watching this chat now - thank you to all involved in making this happen. However I'm getting so frustrated that Richard isn't being allowed to speak! I'm just over an hour into the show and he has barely been able to get a word in for the last ten minutes!!! And when he does he isn't being listened to!

Just watching this chat now - thank you to all involved in making this happen. However I'm getting so frustrated that Richard isn't being allowed to speak! I'm just over an hour into the show and he has barely been able to get a word in for the last ten minutes!!! And when he does he isn't being listened to!
I found that a bit too. I think it's because the producers of this live show itself had to get in a certain amount of housekeeping and information squeezed into a certain amount of time. It's like Television. There was a format to this show and I think the hosts did a good job to fill in blanks as well.

There may have been overlap because they all worked so closely together, so to us we might think "why isn't Rich telling the story?" but also both authors documented the story too.

It could also be the time period we live in. There's a sense of the show where there's aspects that's not in anyone's control. There were supposed to be more musical activity to happen for Rich, but couldn't for obvious reasons. First Richard was never the outspoken part of the duo so he wouldn't usually be doing a lot of talking, second world events just makes us all a bit more tender/delayed and then also the Universal incident... and there's more too.
I don't think there was anything intentional about not letting Richard speak.
He's been at this for a long time and some of these stories are repeated and he doesn't have to dive in there each time if he doesn't want to.
Out of respect for him and that there's certain aspects of the business that they can't reveal everything until release date.

If that makes sense.

I would have like to hear more about the work in the later years such as MIA or even Richard's other solo work (Time, Veronique and Akiko) and production work on Lovelines or other compilations.

I think it's always a bit solemn tone underlying this story and it's ok for others to jump in too, and we get to just appreciate to see Rich as he is and now that he's still at it after all these years. It's wonderful to see. I'd guess that there's unspoken stuff you're picking up on and that's valid.
That's my shot in the dark as to many reasons why it's kinda bitter-sweet in ways, short and to point and others helping to fill in some spots at this point. And that's ok for the time this show had and what it was meant to do.

Last edited:
I have re-watched the live event a 2nd time and if you look closely at Richard there were certain times when you could see by his actions and mouth movements that he wanted to say more or interject but he didn't want to interrupt the process. I disagree with the above comment that Richard was not the outspoken of the group. If you go back and listen to a lot of the interviews Richard has done he is very vocal when the subject is about the music. In fact there are times when he would go on and on and on...so he was very talkative during a lot of the past interviews.

I personally feel there were just too many commercial breaks, it would have been a lot nicer if 2-4 commercial breaks had been scrapped and allowed for more time for Richard to speak. The pics were already on the screen allowing people to click and order so it started to get a bit redundant. For me...I wasn't about to click and order and miss any of Richard during the interview in full screen. Richard also seemed a bit nervous at first seeming unsure at times how to answer the questions but he started warming up better as the live event continued. I'm sure all this has to do with the format of this talk live shop event.

I hope the guys are able to do at least 1 more event with Richard before the book is launched in November. I wonder how a pre-taped interview would be with Richard where it could be a bit more structured and questions could be asked without all the time limits. The guys could still say were going to take a break and allow our viewers to order these products. This way Mike would not have to do all the work as host and perform all the breaks. Watching this you can clearly see Mike had a full plate, not only as hosting, informing the viewers, watching the laptop, getting out the book, getting questions to Richard and THEN deal with all the commercial breaks on how to purchase.

All in all it was fantastic to see Richard again with new projects being released. It was also cool knowing I was watching this in real time. It really showed that the Carpenters music is still being affected by so many people...all over the world.

Would we all love to see a nice long interview with Richard? Absolutely! Would we all watch it, over and over again? You bet! But letā€™s remember this was an event put together to sell the book. These guys need to get paid (and very well I hope) for what will almost certainly be an OUTSTANDING work and definitely a labor of love from all three of them. Did we all buy one? Probably so. I know I did! Mission accomplished.

After watching this interview, and thinking about all of the new projects, I am intrigued how some have chosen to spend the past months with COVID. I believe Richard shared that the Pandemic and its closures put a dent in the Christmas project. And for many that could have put a stop to everything. But it seems that for Richard and team the book and the Songbook kept their course. Wondering how much creating during the lockdown will now surface as something good and new in all aspects of our lives. šŸ™ Grateful for Richard's resilience!

Would we all love to see a nice long interview with Richard? Absolutely! Would we all watch it, over and over again? You bet! But letā€™s remember this was an event put together to sell the book. These guys need to get paid (and very well I hope) for what will almost certainly be an OUTSTANDING work and definitely a labor of love from all three of them. Did we all buy one? Probably so. I know I did! Mission accomplished.

Iā€™m so in agreement about the sales-pitch aspect of the event ā€¦ and I had the thankless task of doing the pitching!

Watching back the video, itā€™s painfully clear I was uncomfortable in the role.

But this was a QVC-styled event, and bills needed to be paid. We all did our best.

Iā€™m so in agreement about the sales-pitch aspect of the event ā€¦ and I had the thankless task of doing the pitching!

Watching back the video, itā€™s painfully clear I was uncomfortable in the role.

But this was a QVC-styled event, and bills needed to be paid. We all did our best.
You didn't look uncomfortable. Under the circumstances I thought you did I bang up job.

I think you did very well! Certainly on par with the folks at PBS, except you ACTUALLY know what youā€™re talking about, and arenā€™t just pretending to be a fan. We got to see Richard and hear from him some too, a rarity that we all should cherish. You did exactly what you set out to do, did it well, and I hope the pre-orders have shown that! Thanks!

late the game on this one.

just saw the Amazon listing and will be reading this for sure and possibly a signed copy if/when available.

Back
Top Bottom