Richard Carpenter full concert October 2nd CPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geographer said:
My tickets are ordered! Strange that I live in So. Cal and have NEVER been to the Performing Art's Center. I've seen Richard in concert twice before, so I guess it never was urgent that I go. Also, if the Bob Newhart rumor is true, then that would be great as I love his comedy! Would love to see the "From This Moment On" piece with special appearence by Karen that was so roundly acclaimed from a past concert. Sounded like that was way cool!

Hope to meet some of you there!

At the TOTW2 fund raiser that was held in March, Richard performed this intricate piece (note perfect) with his oldest daughter singing the lead vocal. I should know, but I can remember if that is Mindy or Tracey!

I heard that Richard performed "From This Moment On" with a split/screen video or projection of some sort of Karen singing so it looked as though they were on stage together live. I would easily have paid double the ticket price to see that happen again. Does anyone have any idea if the special guest is Bob Newhart or not?

The event took place at the gala opening of the CPAC. After a fantastic evening of stories and music, Richard came back on stage alone at the piano. A giant screen was lowered and Richard performed "From this moment on". On the screen, was a close up of just Karen's face. It was filmed for the "Music music music" special which was later cut. This was a one shot just of Karen. In the 1980 TV special, Richard was on Karen's left. So, each time in the video when Karen would look down at Richard, the video gave the same apperance in concert. It was unbelievable! It really took your breath away. I have never seen Richard use this video since. On other concerts, he would show the Japan concert clips, and just play & sing along.

Why is this kinda stuff not being filmed? It's not fair that this kind of stuff is not available for the fans that couldn't not attend this previous event. I would have loved to have seen that footage of Richard w Karen on the big screen.

And here we are going to have another event by Richard in Oct 2004 and will this be filmed? It doesn't look like I am going to be able to travel all the way from the east coast to see this.

Richard is not getting any younger & it seem rare that he is performing live anymore, just seems like a bummer that this kind of stuff isn't filmed for the rest of us to see. I would even pay for a great quality DVD of this & gladly pay whatever to support his performing arts center.

I just wish stuff like this was recorded because years from now, that time will be gone & for those that can't attend all we end up with are possible pictures as memories. :cry:

I hate to throw fuel on this fire, but the opening of the Carpenters center WAS professionally filmed. There were three or four cameras filming all night. I don't know what happened to it, but it's out there. Maybe it's just in Richard's collection.

Has anyone ever contacted the performing arts center to inquire whether film footage is available to purchase through them? Heck I would write a check to them if they offered something like this.

There must be someone out there closer in the CA area that could contact them via phone where it wouldn't cost to call them. It's a long shot, I'm sure something like this is not available.

It just gets discouraging that time is slipping by & who knows what tommorow will bring.

I doubt very much that it's available. The Carpenters started live concerts in 1969, and we still do not have any U.S. release of any live concert video or DVD.

Yes there are films / video footage in Richard's archive of concerts / events from throughout his post -Karen career ....his 1997 CPAC concerts were filmed ...a tiny amount of Richard performing is shown on Close To You -Remembering Carpenters DVD and on some docs :o

Another question / request to put to Richard -once official website is up and running :cool:

Peter

I attended the opening gala performance at the CPAC as well and remember seeing the cameras filming the event. It would have been a wonderful event for PBS. It's a real shame that we have not gotten a release of it in some form or another.

After Richard performed "From This Moment On" accompanying Karen on the big screen above him he said, "There will never be another Karen Carpenter". It was a bittersweet and touching moment drawing much applause.

Another memorable moment from that night was Redd Kross' performance of "Yesterday Once More" which drew some interesting audience reactions. It was really fun and at times even funny. Before the song they talked about what the Carpenters meant to them and how they collected Carpenters video and watched it through the years, and said that the Carpenters harmonies were so great it was downright "Scary".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom