Richard Carpenter Honored By USC Thornton School of Music Dec 9, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I have been looking for pictures from this event and finally found some at this website, it is great to see Richard Carpenter in the news again. It seems like forever since I've seen a recent picture of him. It is interesting how the articles says, "his highly anticipated new song" I wonder if this is going to be released sometime soon.

http://westsidetoday.com/m5-6444/the-charles-dickens-dinner.html

In case the article goes away in the future, here it is below and the link above for credit:

The Charles Dickens Dinner

LEGENDARY SINGER/SONGWRITER RICHARD CARPENTER AND THE GRAMMY FOUNDATION® HONORED BY THE USC THORNTON SCHOOL OF MUSIC THE LA PHIL’S DEBORAH BORDA AND PHILANTHROPIST AND TECHNOLGY ENTREPRENEUR DAVID BOHNETT JOIN CO-HOSTS RANDY AND GRETCHEN NEWMAN AT THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED CHARLES DICKENS HOLIDAY DINNER EVENT

By Brentwood News | December 18, 2011

The Los Angeles Millennium Biltmore Hotel’s Crystal Room was the location of the 25th Annual University of Southern California Thornton School of Music Charles Dickens Dinner honoring legendary singer/songwriter Richard Carpenter and The GRAMMY Foundation® on Friday, December 9, 2011.

In the tradition of Christmas past, present and future, the Dean of the USC Thornton School Music, Robert Cutietta, welcomed the 350 guests by presenting the story of Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol”, with various portions conducted by USC Thornton faculty members, including Popular Music program artist-in-residence and singer/song-writer Patrice Rushen, Choral Music chair and ACDA President Jo-Michael Scheibe, and nationally acclaimed opera conductor and USC Thornton Opera’s music director Brent McMunn. The presentation, which was narrated by opera star and USC Thornton vocal arts faculty Rod Gilfry, combined the Christmas classic with musical interludes from members of the USC Thornton Chamber Singers, the USC Thornton Opera, and the USC Thornton Chamber Orchestra.

USC Thornton’s prodigious student, Justin Klunk, was honored with the GRAMMY Foundation scholarship for continued education. Randy and Gretchen Newman presented the John C. Argue Dickens Medal of Honor to Senior Vice President of the GRAMMY Foundation, Kristen Madsen.

USC Thornton rising stars, Mia Minichiello and Eric Radloff, received the first annual Richard Carpenter Scholarship, and performed a musical rendition of Richard Carpenter’s highly anticipated new song “Together at Christmas Again”, which was premiered at tonight’s event. Following the presentation, the USC Thornton Chamber Orchestra along with USC Thornton Popular Music students saluted Richard Carpenter and his family with a medley of the Carpenters’ most popular hits. Richard Carpenter then was presented the USC Thornton Legacy Award by his friend and mentor, USC Thornton faculty member and legendary conductor, H. Robert Reynolds. Perhaps the most poignant moment of the evening was when Richard said, “none of this would have been possible without the talent of my late sister, Karen.”

Randy Newman and his wife Gretchen, co-chairs for this year’s event, brought a clever mix of humor and gratuitousness to the holiday gathering. Also enjoying the event were several surprise guests - Glee regular Derik Nelson, comedian/actress Beth Lapidies, and music producer Mitch Kaplan. “Richard’s newly released song was a beautiful, lyrical Christmas ballad, reminiscent of the wonderful songs we all grew accustomed to by the Carpenters. It was like the past coming to visit the present. Thornton student and sax player Justin Klunk, clearly has a promising future, said Mr. Kaplan.” “I was very touched by the evening,” said Ms. Lapidies. She continued to say, “The music was elegant, charming and soulful. I was amazed at the generosity of the guests, the range of music presented, and the extraordinary performances. If you love the holidays like I do, this is one of those choice LA must-see events to experience. Not only are the patrons providing essential support to the next generation of musical stars, they are taking something very special with them.”

Ranked among the nation’s top music schools and conservatories in the U.S., the USC Thornton School provides $5.5 million in merit-based financial aid every year to admitted students. All proceeds from the event support scholarships for USC Thornton School of Music students.

ABOUT THE USC THORNTON SCHOOL OF MUSIC

Led by Dean Dr. Robert A. Cutietta, the USC Thornton School of Music brings together a stellar faculty, chosen from a broad spectrum of the music profession, and musically gifted students from around the globe. Founded in 1884, and today the oldest continually operating cultural institution in Los Angeles, the Thornton School consistently ranks
among the nations top the music schools and conservatories. Graduates of the school attain positions with major orchestras, ensembles, recording studios and music industry firms and perform on stages and in studios around the world.

Blending the rigors of a traditional conservatory-style education with the benefits of studying at a leading research university, the Thornton School offers students a thorough music education in a real-world context. Located at the center of Los Angeles, the school is the collegiate partner of choice for the Los Angeles Philharmonic, LA Opera, Los Angeles Master Chorale, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, the GRAMMY Foundation and The Recording Academy, to name a few.

In addition to their work with these ensembles, USC Thornton students are a constant presence in local classrooms, reaching out to the next generation of musicians through music education and appreciation courses. With its faculty, its students, its events and its work, the Thornton School is one of the most important cultural resources in Los Angeles.

ABOUT THE GRAMMY FOUNDATION

The GRAMMY Foundation was established in 1989 to cultivate the understanding, appreciation and advancement of the contribution of recorded music to American culture
— from the artistic and technical legends of the past to the still unimagined musical breakthroughs of future generations of music professionals. The Foundation

accomplishes this mission through programs and activities that engage the music industry and cultural community as well as the general public. The Foundation works in
partnership year-round with its founder, The Recording Academy®, to bring national attention to important issues such as the value and impact of music and arts education and the urgency of preserving our rich cultural heritage. For more information, please visit www.grammyfoundation.org

6125-grph_news-6444.jpg

6127-grph_news-6444.jpg

I loved watching him play Together at Christmas Again. The lyrics are so beautiful, he could release that as a single, I'd buy it. He looks really good in this video.

Curious. Late last evening, while driving home, the radio station announced "Coming up, a new Carpenters song along with....blah, blah, blah..." It caught my attention and I thought it strange that they would use the world "new" when talking about a song from Carpenters. Of course, this is one of the stations playing all Christmas music right now. Unfortunately, because of the geography of where I live, I have a 12 minute portion of my commute where I do not get any radio station where I can make out anything over the static. So, whatever the song is that was referenced, I missed it. Do you think Richard actually released this song? If so, isn't it kind of late in the season?

If he has released 'Together At Christmas Again', it's very late in the year and has gone almost completely under the radar. Which would be a shame as it's a lovely song. Who eventually took the lead on the version he had prepared for his album? Petula Clark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom