🎤 Interview Richard Carpenter Interview 2014

I don't think all of the ICON series are a waste of time, most are just compilations thrown together but some artist have included bonus tracks on their ICON release such as Belinda Carlisle which contained a brand new recording. The fans of this artist surely received a treat!! If they really wanted an ICON Carpenters to sell it would be wise to include a rare remix or newly discovered track that Richard agreed upon. However my idea is he would not put it on something like ICON, it would be more appropriate on a Japan future release but then again we know there is no more unreleased material forthcoming. :shake: or is there? :wink:

All you have to do is get on You Tube and read the comments from hundreds of posted concert clips, TV appearances, videos, etc., and you'll see that admiration of Carpenters is alive and well. The myriad comments back me up. And so many of them are from young people who just happened upon their stuff online or via a random tune they heard in a movie, etc.

True, due to testing services, they aren't played on regular radio. But they ARE played on satellite radio, which is superior in so many ways. Now I need to buy a satellite set-up for the car.

I pay close attention to oldies radio here in Chicago. There are two big ones here. They both suck, and you can bet your life that each hour, you'll hear a Journey, Bryan Adams or ZZ Top song. The playlist is very narrow. But it's safe and doesn't piss anybody off, as it's proper 'cool'. The only problem is their playlists put the rest of us who actually lived through the '60s, '70's and '80s to sleep. It's gotten so bad that I switched to the popular Alternative station, and it's far better.

Last edited:
I pay close attention to oldies radio here in Chicago. There are two big ones here. They both suck, and you can bet your life that each hour, you'll hear a Journey, Bryan Adams or ZZ Top song. The playlist is very narrow. But it's safe and doesn't piss anybody off, as it's proper 'cool'. The only problem is their playlists put the rest of us who actually lived through the '60s, '70's and '80s to sleep. It's gotten so bad that I switched to the popular Alternative station, and it's far better.
That's how our major oldies station is here. They have the 'Drive thru cafe' at noon where people can call in requests. So for one hour you might hear something different. There is an out of town station we some times pick up though, that plays album tracks from the 60's and 70's that is very cool.

I'm always baffled when reading that the Carpenters aren't more admired and liked in America. I suppose the same thing has happened to a lesser extent over here in the UK with James Blunt. He was very popular initially but now it seems fashionable to mock him and his music.

I've always had an issue with the term "easy listening". I'd challenge anyone who professed to loath the Carpenters to sit through an entire album of theirs and find it easy to listen to. Now in HMV (the only big chain of music stores just about hanging on in the UK) the Carpenters are always listed under the "Rock/Pop" section rather than the Easy Listening section. Quite right too!

I'm always baffled when reading that the Carpenters aren't more admired and liked in America. I suppose the same thing has happened to a lesser extent over here in the UK with James Blunt. He was very popular initially but now it seems fashionable to mock him and his music.

I've always had an issue with the term "easy listening". I'd challenge anyone who professed to loath the Carpenters to sit through an entire album of theirs and find it easy to listen to. Now in HMV (the only big chain of music stores just about hanging on in the UK) the Carpenters are always listed under the "Rock/Pop" section rather than the Easy Listening section. Quite right too!

I went through my iTunes library yesterday correcting a lot of my Carpenters catalog i.e. adding correct album artwork and listing everything as "Carpenters". Some CD's load as "The Carpenters" and others "Carpenters" which causes them to be in two different places. I'm anal about my library like Karen was with her closet. Haha! Anyway, everything I uploaded yesterday loaded as "Rock" not "Pop" or "Easy Listening". I found it interesting.

I finally uploaded "AVOTH" yesterday. I've been "saving" it. Never listened. As I type, "Ordinary Fool" is on repeat. I'm dying from this song. Gorgeous!!!

I'd also challenge someone to listen to an entire album (my choice...either the "Tan" album or "ASFY") and I dare them to say it's easy. That's some of the most complex, sound, gorgeous music ever recorded. I'm from the US and I'll never understand why our country does this to artists. They build them up and tear them down. It even happened to Elvis before he died. 'Course after he died...

Not sure what that says about us as a whole and I don't like it. Ha!

I've never been to an HMV store,but they would probably be the only record store that ever stocked Carpenters in the pop/rock section.It's customary to stock them in the "vocal" or "easy listening" section-and every big chain(Tower Records,Sam Goody,Record World,Virgin,B&N,Borders,etc)has always done so.

The "vocal" section is basically an amalgamation of classic pop/jazz/easy listening vocalists-and that's exactly where K&R's albums belong.

I specifically recall the Carpenters CDs in the Rock/Pop section of Virgin Megastore in Downtown Disney. Sadly, that's no longer there. I used to love to spend an hour or so browsing through that store.

Harry

I specifically recall the Carpenters CDs in the Rock/Pop section of Virgin Megastore in Downtown Disney. Sadly, that's no longer there. I used to love to spend an hour or so browsing through that store.

Harry

I remember it well. . . bought my Sherman Brother's "Walt's Time" book there back in '99.

Shows you how far faceless corporate America's come when we get misty eyed over a Megastore. I still shed a little tear for the once charming little Village Marketplace, next door, forever sullied by the Eisner years.

Heh. You should see it now. They've got the old parking lot all torn up to build a giant parking structure to hold more cars. As a result, the already limited parking is non-existent and they've got people parking in the cast member parking lot and walking across the road to get to the Downtown Disney shops.

Harry

Yes, we're just 7 miles down the Interstate from the Disney exit. All in all, it's about a half-hour ride.

We go over there reasonably often - less so since we've gotten a doggie last year, but we're planning on renewing our annual pass. Florida residents get a nice break on the price of those.

I've even got my new Magicbandâ„¢ already! We love EPCOT and go there probably the most of any park. It's a great place to go just to pop in for lunch at some great restaurant - or just to walk around World Showcase for an evening's stroll.

By the way, assuming a member here has filled out his profile properly, you can click on his name on the left hand side, and his location will be there. Of course, many choose not to provide a location unfortunately.

Harry

That's cool, Harry! We love to stroll World Showcase after the fireworks, walking around away from the crowds, exploring each country as we go. Many pleasant memories.

I too have spent many an hour in that store...absolutely LOVE it!!

We love EPCOT and go there probably the most of any park. It's a great place to go just to pop in for lunch at some great restaurant - or just to walk around World Showcase for an evening's stroll.

YES, YES, YES!!! Something about that place - and if you've never been to the Food and Wine festival in October, it's amazing. I'll tell you, one of the most intense (and EXPENSIVE) fireworks shows I've ever seen there as well...

Oh we've gone offtopic....so I will add to it :D

I nominate Chris May to help coordinate a Carpenters meet & greet at Walt Disney World a place where we can all meet and say hello....maybe some Carpenters music playing in the hall....of course invite Richard to attend....fly the family out to Florida for vacation....allow us to talk to Richard, sign autographs, take some photos, nice Disney dinner...maybe some Disney characters and maybe just maybe we could get Please Mr. Postman to play on the big screen while we are having a ball.

...heck I still think it's a great idea...if Richard says yes but no Postman video....he's got a deal!!! :laugh: :)
talk about a zippidee dooday day, huh...I can dream can't I? :)

Oh we've gone offtopic....so I will add to it :D

I nominate Chris May to help coordinate a Carpenters meet & greet at Walt Disney World a place where we can all meet and say hello....maybe some Carpenters music playing in the hall....of course invite Richard to attend....fly the family out to Florida for vacation....allow us to talk to Richard, sign autographs, take some photos, nice Disney dinner...maybe some Disney characters and maybe just maybe we could get Please Mr. Postman to play on the big screen while we are having a ball.

...heck I still think it's a great idea...if Richard says yes but no Postman video....he's got a deal!!! :laugh: :)
talk about a zippidee dooday day, huh...I can dream can't I? :)

I am SO there. I vote WDW in FL too. My cousin is a long-time paramedic for Disney. He also owns a travel agency on the side. Maybe he could help make suggestions. Do it Chris!!! :goodie:

Chris (May), that doesn't happen to be a Carpenters tape in your profile pic, does it?

I've always wished I could ask Richard and compile a list of the equipment and tape formula used on each album/recording. Most of the releases have their own unique "tone" or "flavor". While that's influenced by the engineer mastering the recording, the equipment can also play a large role in the "voice" of the sound.

As far as a "meet & greet" on steroids- that'd be awesome. I'd definitely try to make it. I'd love to meet other fans in person. So many great people on this site. I've always wanted to do a western M&G for people in the Rocky Mountain area, but I don't think there are many fans in this region. :cry:

I worked for a station that played the song up to Tony Peluso's solo and faded it out. It was "too harsh."

The radio station for which I'm music director plays most every Carpenters song that charted save for Interplanetary Craft and admit that we too fade out Goodbye to Love prematurely as when I've tried to slip the complete version in, we've received complaints from listeners.

As an aside, I've also had to edit the guitar solo in the middle of Andrew Gold's Lonely Boy for the same reason. :evil:

The radio station for which I'm music director plays most every Carpenters song that charted save for Interplanetary Craft and admit that we too fade out Goodbye to Love prematurely as when I've tried to slip the complete version in, we've received complaints from listeners.

As an aside, I've also had to edit the guitar solo in the middle of Andrew Gold's Lonely Boy for the same reason. :evil:
Welcome to the forum!

The situation with "Goodbye To Love" has been prevalent since it's release in 1972-people didn't like that guitar solo then,and they still don't like it today.

KC and rock aren't a good mix-and as good as that guitar solo is,it doesn't belong on a Carpenters recording.But,it would've sounded fantastic on a Jimi Hendrix record.

Welcome to the forum!

The situation with "Goodbye To Love" has been prevalent since it's release in 1972-people didn't like that guitar solo then,and they still don't like it today.

KC and rock aren't a good mix-and as good as that guitar solo is,it doesn't belong on a Carpenters recording.But,it would've sounded fantastic on a Jimi Hendrix record.

Some people didn't like that guitar solo, mainly the very conservative, anti-rock fans. But it also made many sit up and listen and is now recognized as very innovative - the first power ballad.
Years ago, a great composer was told that choral singing doesn't "belong" in a symphony but taking risks and doing something different is how the great music is made. "Goodbye to Love" in its genre, is a great piece of music.

I remember being fairly shocked when the fuzz guitar solo came blaring in for the first time off the car radio in July, 1972. It was indeed DIFFERENT for Carpenters. It remains one of their most respected recordings today, and it was also Karens' favorite single until four years later when she heard 'I Need To Be In Love'. I love 'Goodbye to Love' for more than the solo. It's structured so differently from all their previous stuff, with the drum break and the long fade-out. And Karen only takes a few breaths in the ENTIRE song, which is just a feat in itself!

Back
Top Bottom