Richard Carpenter Interview - Record Collector Jan. 1990 UK Edition

Dean Lander

I've been clearing out the attic and found a Record Collector magazine interview with Richard Carpenter in the January 1990 edition.

PB5CHyO.jpg

fCpmaP9.jpg

WbeEbgQ.jpg

vSsCVuK.jpg

WPO8fnc.jpg

^^We see that the UK re-issued Ticket To Ride LP (MFP-50431) was released
July 1979, according to the discography above.

Thanks for the article scan !
A great read !

^^We see that the UK re-issued Ticket To Ride LP (MFP-50431) was released
July 1979, according to the discography above.

Thanks for the article scan !
A great read !
MFP (Music for Pleasure) was an EMI budget label. I think EMI distributed A&M releases in 1979 so this may be the reason why "Ticket to Ride" an A&M album ended up on MFP/EMI.

It’s interesting that MBIYFT was issued by both A&M & EMI. Also LTYD was the B side on 3 singles—-both MBIYFT singles and the “Now” single.
The single on EMI/A&M was a release to promote the compilation album, "Yesterday Once More" that was also released in 1984. A blogger on 45 cat, wrote:
A&M licenced Carpenters to EMI for a compilation called ‘Yesterday Once More’ in 1984 and it was released on vinyl and cassette. There was also an extremely limited CD which was deleted within a week or so of release as A&M decided to do their own similar compilation. The CD is Carpenters rarest and most sought after CD as it features a couple of tracks never on CD since which were the original versions before Richard Carpenter remixed them; one of them being ‘Those Good Old Dreams’

Is it actually true that "Yesterday Once More" was the first album (CDS 260296 8 on EMI/A&M) to be released on CD by the Carpenters? The 1984 Music Master catalogue (UK) doesn't include any releases on CD including the "Voice of the Heart" album.

It’s interesting that MBIYFT was issued by both A&M & EMI.

This is definitely one of the oddest of all their single releases. When I was looking at this recently it initially baffled me why an A&M single carried both EMI 5501 and AM147 as its catalogue number. A&M licensed the Carpenters to EMI for the 1984 Yesterday Once More collection in the UK (the one that featured the single version of “Postman” and the original album version of “Those Good Old Dreams”). The single was put out with the new catalogue number at one point to promote that collection, with a silver sleeve similar to the album.

From the discography above it looks like the Singles 1969-1973 (6/84) was released on CD before Yesterday Once More (10/84) compilation in the UK.

It doesn't really matter but why is that shot of Karen & Richard flipped horizontally? What a strange thing to do.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom