Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook

I've not gotten the CD yet so I cannot speak, the Apple version is a curiosity. I am pretty sure that the four separate tracks from the medley at the end are different takes though basically the same arrangements. Maybe they should be listed as bonus tracks? Eve sounds quite different to me in the two versions, though subtle.

Sorry, but maybe a ploy to get us to buy the CD and download or stream it? I already pay for Apple Music monthly, so it's just part of my subscription, but hey, record companies?

Either way, I am enjoying it this weekend. I need the calm, and Richard can for sure still play.
I agree…I listened for the first time today while doing housework and it really calmed me. I wasn’t expecting it to have that much affect on me but it did. The whole CD has a way of relaxing you and bringing peace. I really enjoyed it.

I didn’t pre order the LP but now it appears I may have to download the digital version if it’s different. This sounds like RPO all over again.

Chris May do you have any details about what is going on with all these versions? Why are we getting different versions?

Having listened to both versions of "We've Only Just Begun", I much prefer the one on the CD. It's especially beautiful and my favorite track. I just wish it were longer! :)

I agree…I listened for the first time today while doing housework and it really calmed me. I wasn’t expecting it to have that much affect on me but it did. The whole CD has a way of relaxing you and bringing peace. I really enjoyed it.

I didn’t pre order the LP but now it appears I may have to download the digital version if it’s different. This sounds like RPO all over again.

Chris May do you have any details about what is going on with all these versions? Why are we getting different versions?
@Chris May

So is it worth downloading the digital version if you already have the CD?
Will I get $9.99 worth of differentness? :shrug:
Only you can try to answer. I'm planning on buying the CD just to help encourage the label to let R make more albums. So I might hear more; generate more conversation, or not?!?!

Try to listen to the previews. They're free. None of of us have any right to tell you what to do with your hard earned cash.

Thanks Murray!!

I just compared the online to my CD.
The first 7 tracks sound the same to me.

As Harry mentioned track 8 Top of the World for the online version has a hard piano ending with no segue and to me sounds a bit jarring for this type album. The CD version has no hard ending and sounds more soothing as it smoothly segues into We've Only Just Begun (I prefer the CD version)

Track 9 We've Only Just Begun (online version) is a whole different piano recording, the CD version is only a portion of the song. However both are totally different recordings.

Tracks 10-13 online are just separated songs and sound exactly the same to me as the Medley Track 1 on both the online and the CD.

So for me (since I already own the CD) I will be downloading the online tracks 8 and 9 because they are different from the CD.

I also wanted to close by saying....I'm enjoying the CD more than I thought I would...it provides that relaxation we all need sometimes.

I feel like the highlight on this collection was hearing a new version of Eve...he made a simple piano piece sound so beautiful. If I listen closely to Richard playing this song I can hear Karen's voice in my head.

I once compared the sound of this album to Richard being invited over for a dinner party and providing the entertainment while we ate. Perhaps the differing versions are comparable to him playing at several individual parties!

Hello Everyone. Not been on here for a long time as a log in but have browsed at times.
I was just ordering Richards album and noticed a certain auction site has signed cd's listed.
Curious I did a web search and the Decca website is indeed offering signed cd album by Richard (make sure you click the correct one).
Listed as UK only.

Last edited:
I just bought the anniversary issue of Natalie Cole Unforgettable. Craft recordings. Beautiful vinyl.
maybe Carpenters need to be pressed by Craft.

Got mine last night. I’m still listening, but really enjoying it so far!

Richard doesn’t miss a beat. Practically everything in those original arrangements with Karen seems to be touched on with just his solo piano. He’s a musical marvel to this day! And the recording quality is, as usual, top notch.

My wife was inactively listening to it with me. She said, "This album only reinforces how great the original melodies were of the songs he picked for them to record."
I thought the exact same thing today when I listened to it for the first time. Those melodies still sound so fresh. And that’s saying a lot!

It appears the vinyl will be released on Amazon Feb 18, 2022 pre-order it for $22.98 (free shipping)
Decca's website shows the LP is already in stock and available to purchase $28.99 plus $10.00 for shipping.
I wish a signed copy was available to purchase for the LP like you can get for the CD.

Discogs has already uploaded a copy of the LP
R-21721864-1642092962-9009.jpeg.jpg

R-21721864-1642092962-2185.jpeg.jpg

I like this album, and the release is funny in a way because this is almost along the lines of what I thought the original announcement for RPO album was supposed to be. And now we have both! :) I never thought fans would be having this discussion and thinking about what comes next for Carpenters in the 2020s of all things. It's very nice.

I like the story of how this album came to be as well. I'm still taking my time to listen to it. Feels a bit too soon to say anything definitive just yet.
It is calming. You could almost add some nature sounds in the background and there ya go. A Carpenters meditation. 😌

It's cool how Richard still chooses material to challenge him, so it is re-imagined with those gentle touches, nuances to listen out for in ways that's different for fans. Not just RCPACC again. It's adding more to the collection and quite possibly influencing the pianists of tomorrow. Very nice project.
Let's hope there is RPO2 and RCPS2! Get those orders in. :goodie:

Who would have thought Rich would be this busy? What a marvellous gift!
Sounding good to my ears, and many thanks to Richard for keeping the legacy going.

Last edited:
And will it have edges sharp enough to shave with, chips, blobs of vinyl on the playing surface, off-center spindle holes, and scratches?
If the CD is Richard playing for a dinner party, then the LP will be Richard playing while you eat your Rice Krispies!
1642376915618.png

Unfortunately with this type Album you’re going to hear every snap crackle and pop unless the vinyl is excellent quality. Good quality vinyl does exist and it could happen on this album but why am I so nervous about ordering.

Am I the only one who’s going to take a stab at the vinyl and give them yet another opportunity to win my trust? :rolleyes::laugh:

Back
Top Bottom