Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook

I need to do it ! The vinyl isn't available yet on UK Amazon, and I'm strictly in a vinyl collecting phase at the minute, not CDs. But I might have to make an exception for Richard :)
Haha just get both. I’m really excited for the book release. And the talk shop live event too !

Whereas Richard's initial hope was to include some non-Carpenters songs that are also personal to him, this album features several of the tunes he and Karen recorded together that he felt had some of the strongest melodies.

And no—there are no vocals on the album.
Chris, can you tell us some of the non-Carpenters songs that are personal for Richard?

I plan to order both the CD and LP when they become available. To be honest, I’m not crazy about the title of the new album. I really think something like Carpenter Performs Carpenters sound much better yet that’s been used. Or even Richard Carpenter performs Carpenters. Any non Carpenters song (favorites) could be included as bonus tracks.

Now it makes sense why The Rainbow Connection was added since I’d never heard that song was Richard’s favorite. I wonder if the liner notes will say he included it at someone’s request.

I’m sure TRC will be beautiful and will make me wish Karen had been singing along to this new arrangement with simply piano (and wishing for her vocal)

I never knew this existed, put out by Pickwick music in 1974, similar title, nice write up on the back.
This ebay listing is large enough to read the back cover. It's also on discogs website as well.

The Young Lovers "Carpenters Song Book" Pickwick LP 1974

I never knew this existed, put out by Pickwick music in 1974, similar title, nice write up on the back.
This ebay listing is large enough to read the back cover. It's also on discogs website as well.

The Young Lovers "Carpenters Song Book" Pickwick LP 1974
I’ve got that LP. (Found it for like 25 cents around 2000.) Unless you like hearing the old folks from a retirement home (who forgot to put their teeth in) doing background vocals, it sounds worst than some of those MIDI-created tribute CD’s (I.e. The Dreamsound Orchestra – The Carpenters Hits (2000, CD)) that were out in the 2000-2005 era.

Whereas Richard's initial hope was to include some non-Carpenters songs that are also personal to him, this album features several of the tunes he and Karen recorded together that he felt had some of the strongest melodies.

And no—there are no vocals on the album.
Was your book completed before this album was produced or will it be included?

Was your book completed before this album was produced or will it be included?
The book and album are separate assets. We suspect there could be some companion packaging at some point from Universal, but nothing set in stone at this juncture.

To further answer your question, the book's production [finally] wrapped in May, and Richard recorded the album for Decca in June. :)

Chris, can you tell us some of the non-Carpenters songs that are personal for Richard?
As much as I'd love to, I should probably refrain for the time being as Richard is hoping this will lead to a followup album with Decca. In which case, he would likely include some of those selections.

In other words, I don't wanna steal his thunder LOL

The book and album are separate assets. We suspect there could be some companion packaging at some point from Universal, but nothing set in stone at this juncture.

To further answer your question, the book's production [finally] wrapped in May, and Richard recorded the album for Decca in June. :)
Thanks. The 2nd part is what I was asking about; whether your book also had details about the album's production like the other Carpenters albums.

The vinyl doesn’t get released till December. I noticed on the Decca website to order the CD and the vinyl that it links you to uME (universal music). Does this mean the vinyl will be produced by Universal music?

The vinyl doesn’t get released till December. I noticed on the Decca website to order the CD and the vinyl that it links you to uME (universal music). Does this mean the vinyl will be produced by Universal music?
Decca is owned by Universal, just like A&M is owned by Universal. Ultimately it is a UME release either way.

Kind of reminds me of the RPO album…so will Songbook be on LP in time for Christmas 2021 or Christmas 2022?

As much as I'd love to, I should probably refrain for the time being as Richard is hoping this will lead to a followup album with Decca. In which case, he would likely include some of those selections.

In other words, I don't wanna steal his thunder LOL
I still can't get over the fact that Richard's album is on Decca, being so familiar with the label on many 78s and vinyl records in my own collection 🤓 #nostalgia

Already looking forward to a followup to add as well! :cool:

I plan to order both the CD and LP when they become available. To be honest, I’m not crazy about the title of the new album. I really think something like Carpenter Performs Carpenters sound much better yet that’s been used. Or even Richard Carpenter performs Carpenters. Any non Carpenters song (favorites) could be included as bonus tracks.

Now it makes sense why The Rainbow Connection was added since I’d never heard that song was Richard’s favorite. I wonder if the liner notes will say he included it at someone’s request.

I’m sure TRC will be beautiful and will make me wish Karen had been singing along to this new arrangement with simply piano (and wishing for her vocal)
I ordered both formats too, an LP for myself and CDs for Christmas gifts. I'm assuming they'll all arrive in one package some time in December 🎄

The Rainbow Connection must be for Japan, we all know how popular that track is in Asia. Also, Streisand just popped her version on her latest Release Me 2 album.

The Rainbow Connection must be for Japan, we all know how popular that track is in Asia. Also, Streisand just popped her version on her latest Release Me 2 album.
As Chris May said earlier it was requested by the president of Decca UK. So it’s a European request.

Yes I saw that, but why did she request it? It's certainly not for Europe.
From what I see, Rebecca Allens has no connection with the Asian market and has been connected with Universal Europe for nearly 20 years.

Also have we ever heard how well The Rainbow Connection was received in Europe? Besides As Time Goes By the Gold 35th Anniversary CD had it.

Back
Top Bottom