Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook

Did we ever hear an explanation of what went down with that Christmas album supposedly planned for 2002?
Nothing clear. Apparently he’s gone into the studio numerous times over the years and recorded different tracks and then junked them to record different ones, and he might’ve had it ready 2 years ago but no label would pick it up. It might be a posthumous release that his kids or whoever is left in charge to handle his and the Carpenters material, to finish with all the tracks he’s recorded after he’s gone.

Nothing clear. Apparently he’s gone into the studio numerous times over the years and recorded different tracks and then junked them to record different ones, and he might’ve had it ready 2 years ago but no label would pick it up. It might be a posthumous release that his kids or whoever is left in charge to handle his and the Carpenters material, to finish with all the tracks he’s recorded after he’s gone.
Well, not exactly.

I explain in an earlier thread here: Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook

Well, not exactly.

I explain in an earlier thread here: Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook
And it was an excellent explanation at that, Chris. I'm glad you gave us that clarification. I'd just say that, especially, the "fan base" is "hungry" for anything new from Richard. Just look at the excitement for Piano Songbook. I, for one, love his arrangements as much as I love Karen's voice. Like many here who desire to hear every note Karen sang, no matter how incomplete it is as it sits in a vault somewhere, I feel the same about Richard's solo "attempts." I hope, one day, these recordings do see the light of day; even though I know Richard's penchant for "perfection" and resistance to release anything that doesn't meet his expectations makes any release unlikely.

I wonder how much of the “original” project was done when the rumors of a late 2002 release were spreading, if he didn’t talk much about it himself. This was nearly two decades ago so his own memory of something that was always evolving could be hazy.

The closest we’ve yet to come to another Carpenter(s) Christmas album are the two tracks done with Seiko in 2000 which still hold up for me. With his songwriting they feel like proper sequels to Merry Christmas, Darling. If we had gotten a full album full of tracks like those it would certainly be a fan favorite all these years later. Not Christmas Portrait level, but magical enough to enchant us still.

Downloaded two tracks from iTunes. (Complete album download available 14/01/22) 13 songs, 38 minutes. Not really my sort of music, piano solo. My interest was sparked by the interview with Richard & Michael Ball on BBC Sounds. The two tracks available for download are 'Close To You' & 'Yesterday Once More'. Both tracks sound very clear, this is when digital technology exceeds. Stereo piano on a good set of headphones does sound amazing. What I really like for this recording is the audio clarity of digital. There's no tape hiss or wow & flutter, no vinyl pops or crackles. Not an album for the younger generation, some oldies will enjoy. Pre ordered the album download, hoping I feel this mellow when the rest of the album is available for download. Great album cover.

Downloaded two tracks from iTunes. (Complete album download available 14/01/22) 13 songs, 38 minutes. Not really my sort of music, piano solo. My interest was sparked by the interview with Richard & Michael Ball on BBC Sounds. The two tracks available for download are 'Close To You' & 'Yesterday Once More'. Both tracks sound very clear, this is when digital technology exceeds. Stereo piano on a good set of headphones does sound amazing. What I really like for this recording is the audio clarity of digital. There's no tape hiss or wow & flutter, no vinyl pops or crackles. Not an album for the younger generation, some oldies will enjoy. Pre ordered the album download, hoping I feel this mellow when the rest of the album is available for download. Great album cover.
Not finding it in iTunes Store yet.

Found it on Canadian iTunes. Wow, the piano sounds harsh! I was only listening to the 30 second preview, but that piano is harsh. (And by harsh I mean anti-septic, institutional, which all-digital piano recordings tend to sound like. It needs a pass through an analog medium to take away that harshness.)

Found it on Canadian iTunes. Wow, the piano sounds harsh! I was only listening to the 30 second preview, but that piano is harsh. (And by harsh I mean anti-septic, institutional, which all-digital piano recordings tend to sound like. It needs a pass through an analog medium to take away that harshness.)
It's probably also the Apple encoding and compression at least partially. Especially the compression, in the wrong hands, can be deadly. The so called loudness war that a number of years back was brutal on the ears and brain. All nuance and warmth removed for the sake of being the loudest. Ironically, many of those albums are being remastered to make them listenable.

Harry you have the CD, any thoughts?

Sounds OK to me, but then I haven't heard anything else. Japan issued it on SHM, if that makes any difference...it doesn't to me.

It's probably also the Apple encoding and compression at least partially. Especially the compression, in the wrong hands, can be deadly. The so called loudness war that a number of years back was brutal on the ears and brain. All nuance and warmth removed for the sake of being the loudest. Ironically, many of those albums are being remastered to make them listenable.

Harry you have the CD, any thoughts?
Well it’s being listed as “Apple Digital Master”—- the old “Mastered for ITunes”.

Now then, I just noticed an interesting thing with the copyright. Apparently Richard owns the masters for this album—-not Universal!

“A Decca Records Release. P 2022 Richard Carpenter under exclusive licence to Universal Music Operations Limited.”

And so it goes...

From Amazon this morning:

"New estimated delivery date:
Thursday, January 20, 2022 - Friday, January 21, 2022"

A week later than previous estimate.

iTunes UK expected date 14 January 2022. So far I've downloaded three songs from iTunes. 'Close To You", 'Yesterday Once More' & 'We've Only Just Begun'

Charts of The World:
Album: Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook

iTunes:
#63 Japan
#78 Australia

This is nice,
Richard Carpenter at #1 today in Amazon's Best-Sellers Easy Listening:
That’s the CD that’s at #1. The Vinyl version is charging at #95 in the Top 100.

But I also saw that Now & Then is #88, Yesterday Once More #17, Gold 35th Anniversary #9, Gold (2000, Europe) #8, Christmas Collection is #5. 4 of the Top 10 are Richard Carpenter/Carpenters albums.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom