Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook

My CD was just delivered by courier. It's the first time I've ordered a CD from Amazon, where they actually delivered on the release date, rather than a week or two late! :D

My CD arrived and plan to listen later tonight. I scanned the artwork and imported into iTunes. 9 songs at 32 mins seems a bit short for a CD. The medley is showing a running time of 6:01. Martin is right, I went to the iTunes store and they have it "Apple Digital Master" 13 tracks. The medley is still the first track but they have added tracks 10-13 separating the medley, however if you add up the times there showing in iTunes those 4 tracks only come in at a total of 5:19 so it has to be missing part of the actual Medley from track 1. I'm not downloading them from iTunes since I already have the CD so I can't be sure exactly what is missing from the 4 separate tracks. Odd that they have offered it like that.

I really like the 2 inside photos of Richard.
I was surprised to read inside that
Richard seemed hesitant to create this piano songbook, asking Rachel from Decca twice are you sure this is something you and Decca want? It sounds like Richard would have never done this had Rachel not been persistent in asking Richard to record this CD. I laughed when he said this album would put a number of people to sleep. LOL

My CD arrived and plan to listen later tonight. I scanned the artwork and imported into iTunes. 9 songs at 32 mins seems a bit short for a CD. The medley is showing a running time of 6:01. Martin is right, I went to the iTunes store and they have it "Apple Digital Master" 13 tracks. The medley is still the first track but they have added tracks 10-13 separating the medley, however if you add up the times there showing in iTunes those 4 tracks only come in at a total of 5:19 so it has to be missing part of the actual Medley from track 1. I'm not downloading them from iTunes since I already have the CD so I can't be sure exactly what is missing from the 4 separate tracks. Odd that they have offered it like that.

I really like the 2 inside photos of Richard.
Richard seemed hesitant to create this piano songbook, asking Rachel from Decca twice are you sure this is something you and Decca want? It sounds like Richard would have never done this had Rachel not been persistent in asking Richard to record this CD. I laughed when he said this album would put a number of people to sleep. LOL
I see on Canada iTunes that “Goodbye To Love” is only 55 seconds, and they are charging $1.29 for the track, the same price for any of the other tracks.

It might be a good idea not to listen to it, for the first time, while driving or operating heavy machinery, just in case. :wink:

HMV talks to Richard Carpenter:​

"It’s really just a gift to be able to play an instrument, or write a poem, or anything creative that gives you pleasure...”

".... This week... he returns with his first new release in more than two decades. Titled simply Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook,
his new album arrives in stores this Friday (January 14) and features nine instrumental versions of some of their biggest hits arranged for solo piano.
Ahead of its release we spoke to Richard to find to talk about why he's returned after such a long time,
his plans to release more music, and his recent 400-page book that sent him digging through crates of slides and photographs."

Here:

Thats why saw too before i ripped it to my computer. I wonder why we've only just begun is 2:25 on YouTube?
The one on YouTube is a totally different recording of "We've Only Just Begun". The one on the CD is abbreviated and starts with the bridge of the song, where the one on YouTube is the whole song played through with a different arrangement.

Looks like our favorite tinkerer has been tinkering again. I just checked the prior track, "Top Of The World" against what's on YouTube. I did this because the CD version segues into "We've Only Just Begun". But the YouTube version of "Top Of The World" has Richard playing a little ending to the song.

Now the big question, is, just like with the RPO, where does one go to get the latest version of this album. Is the US CD different from the Japanese CD? Are these changes only for YouTube and/or iTunes? And what will be on the LP?

I’m really confused about the times of each track in iTunes. Top of the World is saying it runs at 3:17 but my CD says 3:31

Is iTunes an edited version?
Does anyone have the CD and you download the iTunes version to compare the difference between the two?

I've not gotten the CD yet so I cannot speak, the Apple version is a curiosity. I am pretty sure that the four separate tracks from the medley at the end are different takes though basically the same arrangements. Maybe they should be listed as bonus tracks? Eve sounds quite different to me in the two versions, though subtle.

Sorry, but maybe a ploy to get us to buy the CD and download or stream it? I already pay for Apple Music monthly, so it's just part of my subscription, but hey, record companies?

Either way, I am enjoying it this weekend. I need the calm, and Richard can for sure still play.

Back
Top Bottom