Richard Carpenter's UK Promotional Tour 2019*

Thursday morning and Carpenters With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is still at #1 on iTunes and Amazon ... Could we possibly be seeing the Carpenters score their 4th UK #1 on the Official charts?

Thursday morning and Carpenters With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is still at #1 on iTunes and Amazon ... Could we possibly be seeing the Carpenters score their 4th UK #1 on the Official charts?

Exciting as it is to see Richard on the promotional circuit again in the UK, I think it would be wise to temper expectations a bit. The charts now run based on sales from Friday to Friday (I still can't get used to this after so many years of the Monday to Sunday regime), so given the promo only started on Monday, the album's going to be up against competition that have had three more days of sales to build up. There will hopefully definitely be a sales spike for the RPO album, but another number 1 is pretty unlikely at this stage.

In reply to Stephen's query:
Why is Richard remarkable ?
(his post #99 quoting my post #97).
I used the word remarkable, because in these promotional television and radio spots,
I am seeing and hearing a Richard Carpenter who is at ease, and seemingly enjoying the attention.
After that "no more" bombshell a few years back, also, his apparent resistance to any more
interviews a few years back, I am thrilled to see an overjoyed Richard Carpenter promoting
a successful Carpenters' product. And, he even hints at the possibility for another RPO project.
Richard will be "mixing" his other music when he returns to LA , and is still working with John Bettis.
That he is still keeping musically active, and enjoying these interviews--at this point in time--
that, my friend, is remarkable.

I would gather "no more" meant talking about anorexia and whatnot. But creating these projects is totally different. I hope there's another album to come.

^^Early 2016, Chris May interview:
CM: "Thoughts about the music industry today and how it has changed..."
RC: I try my best not to think of it...I'm not really in it, so I don't think about it..." (25:19).
CM:"any upcoming projects...anything you're working on ?"
RC: "Not at the moment..no..." (25:54).

I do note that the "all done" was in reference to unreleased material.
Needless to say, Richard Carpenter is totally POSITIVE in these recent (2018-1019)
television and radio spots, and he is ACTIVELY involved in his music at this point in time,
that is remarkable !

^^Early 2016, Chris May interview:
CM: "Thoughts about the music industry today and how it has changed..."
RC: I try my best not to think of it...I'm not really in it, so I don't think about it..." (25:19).
CM:"any upcoming projects...anything you're working on ?"
RC: "Not at the moment..no..." (25:54).

I do note that the "all done" was in reference to unreleased material.
Needless to say, Richard Carpenter is totally POSITIVE in these recent (2018-1019)
television and radio spots, and he is ACTIVELY involved in his music at this point in time,
that is remarkable !

And exciting !

^^So true !
Also, I was looking at the USA sales figures on KWORB,the actual sales for for the top artists.
Now, Carpenters have gone Silver in UK (60,000plus) sales.
And, if they remain in the top 10 (UK) those figures only go higher.
My point is this: By any current sales metric, Carpenters with the RPO ,
is an unqualified success. My analysis does not include sales of Cw/RPO in other countries,
nor the uptick in sales for album Gold.
Even so, taking only UK sales as a beginning, this is a solid HIT album.
In today's challenging market, that the Carpenters are able to do this, with no new material,
is remarkable !

With all this happening, I feel because he (and we) were robbed of so much music because of circumstances, these record companies should just let him record all he wants at this point. Who cares how much it costs. lol. And Ps. We need more promotion here in the states.

Thanks everyone for all the updates...I've enjoyed them. The Steve Wright show was excellent. What a difference it makes when Richard is with someone he feels comfortable talking with...he elaborates much more and his energy goes way up. I love hearing these interviews.

Simon...I see your famous...well we already knew that but now all of England does :laugh: congrats!! How does that feel? Richard's actually seen you now, great pic too. :)

The highlight has yet to come......Tracks Of My Years. Choosing songs that influenced your life and then giving an explanation for that choice is fascinating especially coming from someone who I’ve admired for so many years.

The Steve Wright interview starts at about 6 mins 38 secs.

Steve Wright’s Big Guests - Richard Carpenter and David Wallace-Wells - BBC Sounds

You might need to register or sign in for it to work guys

Best wishes,
Rob
This was great and a great smooth respectful interview with someone who had knowledge of the subject. And, my favorite part was when Richard gave the desire to do more with the RPO and that sales will dictate! My mind goes wild over the options that we could possibly hear!

It feels as if the possibilities for the future are still being defined! From the new fresh take in I’ll Just Fall In Love Again to the nice additional instrumentation on Superstar and Rainy Days only begins to give us a peek of what could be in store for the future from such a positive interview.

RPO album has slipped down to #13 on the iTunes digital chart but remains at #1 for its 5th consecutive day... Do physical sales account for more than streaming/digital on the Official Charts?

Why is that ‘remarkable’? To echo someone else’s earlier comment...who’s updating his Instagram then?
Yeah I think this pretty much confirms he doesn’t post the writings on social media. It’s making sense why the official site is not updated much or ever. I was surprised he doesn’t carry a phone. Ha

Maybe this should be in the other thread but the CDs being released in the UK (specifically the ones being sold right now since it’s being marketed so heavily) are these CDs the same version as the US ones? Meaning without the extra things they fixed at the last min on the digital ones. Are the UK discs the finalized digital versions?

I listened to The Steve Wright Show today and couldn’t believe the difference in Richard’s demeanour on this compared to the two TV shows. He came across as very relaxed, laid back and convivial. It was a really enjoyable listen. Just a pity it wasn’t longer. I loved the section where Steve talked about a key change in Yesterday Once More, Richard instantly got what he meant and went with it.

I listened to The Steve Wright Show today and couldn’t believe the difference in Richard’s demeanour on this compared to the two TV shows. He came across as very relaxed, laid back and convivial. It was a really enjoyable listen. Just a pity it wasn’t longer. I loved the section where Steve talked about a key change in Yesterday Once More, Richard instantly got what he meant and went with it.

Yes agreed, I said the same earlier, completely different demeanor and level of comfort. A startling difference actually.

According to the Official Charts, Carpenters with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra has re-entered the UK charts at #10 with a staggering 80% physical sales

I was reflecting in an earlier post about the physical format of CD’s. Tended to be the preferential purchase choice for this album, when it first launched.

Every supermarket had the RPO album stocked and as they sold out it never seemed to be replenished. This very much reflected in the UK top 100 albums. It reached silver sales status relativity quickly.

The new promotion by Richard will certainly have a positive effect for the next few weeks sales. I hope that the retailers keep stocks replenished this time. I think the visual product on the shelf certainly tempts buyers. Sadly when it comes to online purchases, the buyer usually has to search out the artist.

Richard really has had a successful promotional tour. Let’s hope the TV adverts are kept in rotation.

Back
Top Bottom