Richard Carpenter's UK Promotional Tour 2019*

Some of the discussion on this thread relates to how Richard's promotional tour will affect sales, and there has been mention that other Carpenters albums have seen an uptick in sales after the RPO release and Promotion efforts.

I wonder...when a company like Universal weighs the cost/benefit of releasing something like this, whether they take into account the added revenue seen from a boost in sales of Carpenters music across the board...? If other, previous Carpenters releases see an uptick is sales do they consider that a direct revenue benefit from the RPO release?

Hopefully Universal will.
My local music store since this new promotion is literally out of it's small Carpenters stock.It's amazing how many people who know I like Carpenters have messaged me or asked me in person if I had seen Richard on tv or heard him on radio.
I notice Amazon UK is again out of RPO cd stock.
The tv commercial showing again for the cd here and new sponsorship of Good morning Britains entertainment section since Richards visit must have pushed sales also.
Seems so appropriate fifty years on.

I hope that Universal really do not let Richard down. It has seemed in the past their efforts have been lack lustre. This has led to Richard not having the same fire for projects in the past. Especially on the personal promotional front.

The RPO album/50th anniversary has really sparked Richard’s creativity. He has renewed passion for getting some ideas and projects off the ground again.

With the album being embraced and the love for Richard and Karen so evident. I hope Universal really give further attention to any new/future projects. Whether these would be a Carpenters release or Richard’s solo material (potential Christmas album).

It is evident that the physical format is driving sales. I would like to see the Vinyl release brought forward. This would certainly boost sales as Vinyl sells well in the UK. I fear that the interest may of waned by the time we see the release :shake:.

We can reflect that before Richard did his tour. The album had fallen off the chart because there was little TV promotion. When retail outlets had sold out, there was no replenishment of the RPO album. It was amazing that over 60,000 albums had sold at this point.

I remember reading a post here on the boards. Someone had messaged Richard or may be his secretary to notify of the Silver status of the album. Richard wasn’t aware until in receipt of the email (probably only gets intermittent updates from the record company). He was genuinely thrilled with the presentation of the silver disc on the One Show.

I really loved seeing Richard on TV and listening to the radio segments. It was so refreshing to see him referred to as a singer, arranger, performer, producer. Lots of accolades paid to him through the shows. He seemed enthralled and enjoying the moment. I especially loved it when he was sat behind the piano. He is so at ease and fascinating to watch and to listen to.

Still no1 on Amazon. I expect it drop dramatically from tomorrow. I wonder if it's done enough to hold its top 10 position in the official charts next week.

Still no1 on Amazon. I expect it drop dramatically from tomorrow. I wonder if it's done enough to hold its top 10 position in the official charts next week.

I wonder if it's enough to go Gold ! Within less than a month of release it sold 60,000 copies to be Silver and only needs 40,000 more to reach 100,000 for Gold. I'm hoping that's enough to warrant Vol.2

I wonder if it's enough to go Gold ! Within less than a month of release it sold 60,000 copies to be Silver and only needs 40,000 more to reach 100,000 for Gold. I'm hoping that's enough to warrant Vol.2

According to one of the chart websites, the album sold 5,880 copies last week. Considering it was the week that included Mothers' Day, sales were quite low across the board - the #1 album sold a little over 18,000 copies.

Forbes newsworthy:
The Carpenters Return To The Top 10 In The U.K. While Actor And Singer Michael Ball Rules
"Legendary pop duo The Carpenters see their latest release Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra jump back into the top 10, landing at No. 10. It originally debuted at No. 8 when it was first released late last year, giving the band, which is essentially now defunct, their twelfth top 10."
Includes photo of Karen at drums....
Here:
The Carpenters Return To The Top 10 In The U.K. While Actor And Singer Michael Ball Rules

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/5bd9e9234bbe6f78bda681fd/highest-paid-women-in-mus/

Forbes newsworthy:
"Legendary pop duo The Carpenters see their latest release Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra jump back into the top 10, landing at No. 10. It originally debuted at No. 8 when it was first released late last year, giving the band, which is essentially now defunct, their twelfth top 10."
Includes photo of Karen at drums....
Here:

Thanks for sharing :)

I love that photo of Karen. She was so expressive - she always makes me smile!

I really do hope we see a new peak for the album. So many of the previous compilations have reached gold status. The Nations Favourite being the only one in recent times that has not been certified (peaking at number 2).

The RPO album is the first collaboration with the artist/artists. This is unique when we look at the past RPO releases. Richard talents have really been instrumental in the success of the album.

I hope like in the 1990’s when Richard and Karen’s music was re-evaluated. When the public embraced their music. The love for our favourite duo has kept ongoing. I hope that the new album sparks many new fans to collect their back catalogue. Sales will always be the driving force for any future albums. I personally think there is so much to explore with another RPO collaboration.

I am excited to see what Richard has planned for any future projects.

I think if Universal could get the album back into stores again like it was during its release. It would certainly be a viable outcome.

It seems at the moment the buyers are seeking the album out online. There is a missed opportunity with the casual buyer if it isn’t stocked in the retail stores/supermarkets music charts. Now it is in the top 10 again. Let’s hope the shelves are stocked up once again :agree:

I think if Universal could get the album back into stores again like it was during its release. It would certainly be a viable outcome.

It seems at the moment the buyers are seeking the album out online. There is a missed opportunity with the casual buyer if it isn’t stocked in the retail stores/supermarkets music charts. Now it is in the top 10 again. Let’s hope the shelves are stocked up once again :agree:

Also in the UK top 100 download chart. Carpenters RPO sits at number 5 and Carpenters Gold at number 29. The Gold album didn’t impact on the main chart sadly this week. I would be interested to know what the digital sales are. There is something interesting how the main bulk of sales are made up of physical purchases. The streaming numbers are not really reflected in the sales. There aren’t many artists that could shift the amount of albums Richard and Karen do. When we take into account all the variables at play.

When we look at other artists who tour/promote/radio play. Though on this occasion Richard supported the release with a select amount of personal appearances on TV/radio. The Carpenter albums do remarkably well, with many reaching a certified status in sales. Regularly reaching Silver/Gold and platinum/multi platinum status. With the music market changing so much over the years. The Carpenters has always been something of an anomaly. They never fitted in their hey day years with the music elite. All the not cool labels. Yet they were way beyond their years. Created something so unique, that 50 years later still charting inside the top 10. Depending how you measure success, I would say they’re still marvellous successful.

It is remarkable ! But just to add "The Nations Favourite Carpenters Songs" has been certified: in August 2017 it reached Silver for 60,000

Apart from the upcoming "Tracks of my Years" radio show is there anything else Richard recorded yet to be broadcast?

By the way, here's a link to the BBC website for that show which, as of writing, lists the guests up until the 10th April... No sign of Richard's appearance as yet!

BBC Radio 2 - Ken Bruce - Next on

It is remarkable ! But just to add "The Nations Favourite Carpenters Songs" has been certified: in August 2017 it reached Silver for 60,000
This is indeed great information. It is very hard to navigate the BPI website. This further concludes the sales thresholds their albums regularly hit.

It is interesting what album concepts/ideas the record company bring to Richard, the RPO being one. He really contemplated what he could do with the project and the end result was a stellar album. I hope it sparks further creativity for bold ideas for future albums.

Apart from the upcoming "Tracks of my Years" radio show is there anything else Richard recorded yet to be broadcast?

By the way, here's a link to the BBC website for that show which, as of writing, lists the guests up until the 10th April... No sign of Richard's appearance as yet!

BBC Radio 2 - Ken Bruce - Next on
I believe the Graham Norton A-Z radio show is due to be rebroadcast. At one point I read that an extended interview had been teased to mark their 50th anniversary. It would of been good if Graham could of had Richard on the new season of his TV show.

It was a limited promotional tour and I am sure there were other possible bookings. Like all of us Richard’s a busy man with many commitments. The A-Z radio interview was recorded in America by one of the Norton show staff members. It’s possible in the future he may support the album via promotional opportunities. It shows that he really can influence sales through TV/radio appearances.

After a second look at the video it’s plain to see that it’s not Richard who walks off with the pen. Apologies to Richard.

Back
Top Bottom