Richard on "Puttin On The Hits"

Walkinat9

Has any of you seen this on TV back in late 1984?
Richard was one of the guest judges on 2 episodes of this show. I wonder if he was a very strict judge 👮‍♂️

Living in a small country myself with no timezones, I only very recently found out that pre-recorded shows had (or could have) different airdates in different parts of the US, so the TV listings I included here are from the earliest airdates I could find. I discovered that the first one aired in other cities as late as mid-November and the second one as late as November 24 (quite the revelation to me! :-o )

TV listing The Times (Streater, Illinois) October 27, 1984

TV listing The Tennessean, November 11, 1984

Unfortunately I haven't been able (yet?) to find these ones with Richard on YouTube, but to give an idea of what the show looked like, here's a complete one from late September 1984:

And this is one of the acts that made it to the semi-finals in this video (from December '84), thanks also to Richard's judging in the previous month:

Greg

Has any of you seen this on TV back in late 1984?
Richard was one of the guest judges on 2 episodes of this show. I wonder if he was a very strict judge 👮‍♂️

Living in a small country myself with no timezones, I only very recently found out that pre-recorded shows had (or could have) different airdates in different parts of the US, so the TV listings I included here are from the earliest airdates I could find. I discovered that the first one aired in other cities as late as mid-November and the second one as late as November 24 (quite the revelation to me! :-o )

TV listing The Times (Streater, Illinois) October 27, 1984

TV listing The Tennessean, November 11, 1984

Unfortunately I haven't been able (yet?) to find these ones with Richard on YouTube, but to give an idea of what the show looked like, here's a complete one from late September 1984:

And this is one of the acts that made it to the semi-finals in this video (from December '84), thanks also to Richard's judging in the previous month:

Greg

I actually watched the episodes with Richard "live" and have them on VHS tape. Nothing too special or revealing, though. Richard is introduced, as I remember, and he might of had one or two other things to say, but nothing special, really.

I'm surprised, even to this day, that he wasn't "tapped" to do more shows like this over the years.

I actually watched the episodes with Richard "live" and have them on VHS tape. Nothing too special or revealing, though. Richard is introduced, as I remember, and he might of had one or two other things to say, but nothing special, really.

I'm surprised, even to this day, that he wasn't "tapped" to do more shows like this over the years.
Thanks for the report! : ) And I agree, a man of Richard's caliber should have been on more shows like that.

I’ve seen both, but it’s been a long time now. At least for the 1st one anyway. Uses to be on CNBC late nights or weekends.

I think Jay and Richard connected very well and I would not be surprised to see another spot in a future episode. Would love to have Jay bring over the Dodge Challenger Hell Cat Demon for Richard to test drive (was briefly mentioned during the last piece) seeing that he is such a huge Mopar fan!

Actually, looking at it, I think this is his 2nd and 3rd appearance on the show! Possibly from 1986 and 1987.

Here's his 2nd appearance as one of the guest judges on the show - Thanks to Geographer for this video.

Oh wow, that was a lot of fun to watch, thanks very much for sharing this, Geographer and Billy!! 🤓 🤓

The earliest airdate I could find for the first bit (with Pablo Cruise's "I go to Rio") was February 7, 1986. Richard may have been smiling there because Pablo Cruise was also on the A&M label.
The earliest airdate for the second bit (from Stevie Wonder's "Part-time lover" onwards), was March14, 1986, as far as I could find.

Richard looked happy and full of energy there, and somehow the way he looked reminded me a little of his appearance on "This Is Your Life" 15 years earlier, face all aglow :)

I actually enjoyed the synth-driven music in several of those songs. I immediately heard Richard's "Who do you love" in my head, which is one of my favorites from his solo album. "Papa Oom Mow Mow" brought me back to a scene in "E.T." and also to "Surfin' bird". And great to hear Tracey Ullman's "Break away", one of my favorite songs from the early 1980s :cool:

Btw, does anybody know what that cool guitar music was, right after the show (at 17:48) ? The singer there looked to me like Gino Vannelli or Richard Marx perhaps?

I inherited an autographed copy of Mel Brooks High Anxiety vinyl, which contains the that hilarious tune, plus every fun song Mel and music man John Morris wrote for his classic films. The cover is signed by John Morris.

Back
Top Bottom