• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Richard's best Christmas lead vocal?

Without A Song

So many choices here it's hard for me to decide. I love "Toyland" and hope that if another Carpenters Christmas compilation is released, this track is included. There's also "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" from the start of "Christmas Portrait" and his gorgeous overdubbing of "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" at the beginning of "An Old Fashioned Christmas." Plus there's also "O Little Town of Bethlehem," "The First Noel" and the song "An Old-Fashioned Christmas."

And there's his post-Carpenters performance of "Home for the Holidays" on "Solid Gold." Hopefully that finds its way to a CD someday, maybe Richard's solo Christmas album? Fingers crossed.

Last but never least, his intro vocal to "Do You Hear What I Hear" which made it possible for us to hear Karen on the rest of that classic tune.

For me, I say it's a tie between "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" and "Do You Hear What I Hear." If anyone would like to create a poll question out of this, that's fine with me.

Carpe diem

So many choices here it's hard for me to decide. I love "Toyland" and hope that if another Carpenters Christmas compilation is released, this track is included. There's also "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" from the start of "Christmas Portrait" and his gorgeous overdubbing of "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" at the beginning of "An Old Fashioned Christmas." Plus there's also "O Little Town of Bethlehem," "The First Noel" and the song "An Old-Fashioned Christmas."

And there's his post-Carpenters performance of "Home for the Holidays" on "Solid Gold." Hopefully that finds its way to a CD someday, maybe Richard's solo Christmas album? Fingers crossed.

Last but never least, his intro vocal to "Do You Hear What I Hear" which made it possible for us to hear Karen on the rest of that classic tune.

For me, I say it's a tie between "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" and "Do You Hear What I Hear." If anyone would like to create a poll question out of this, that's fine with me.
I would have to say Old-Fashioned Christmas is his best.

tomswift2002

I liked Richard's vocals on Druscilla Penny & Saturday on the tan album
Those aren’t Christmas leads. Although Druscilla Penny was released as an A side single.

But as for Christmas leads, out of what’s been officially released, An Old-Fashioned Christmas[ was his only full vocal lead. His other vocal leads were short leads or part of medley’s. Richard needed to put a second full lead on either album. Otherwise, Do You Hear What I Hear? is a really great duet with Karen. A&M should’ve commissioned a music video in the style of Rankin/Bass’s Santa Claus Is Coming To Town/Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.

But out of even the TV specials, his vocals on Toyland & Home for the Holidays really need to be released on CD!

Someday

Do You Hear What I Hear & It Came Upon the Midnight Clear are outstanding .., best composition has to be An Old-Fashioned Christmas; so evocative and immediately makes one feel 6 years old again ...

Top Bottom