1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Richard's Best

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by ars nova, Nov 5, 2018.

1. ars nova

ars nova Active Member Thread Starter

which three songs do you feel best represent Richard?

solitaire
    this masquerade
    another song

Carpe diem likes this.
  2. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

As singer or producer/arranger?

3. ars nova

your choice.

4. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Producer/Arranger:
    Calling Occupants
    Superstar
    Close to You

5. Calling Occupants, Yesterday Once More and Superstar... And of course, Close To You.

I first thought this thread would be about Richard's best lead vocal... So here's mine: "You'll Never Know" recorded in 1980 when the duo were so excited about the music on "Music, Music, Music" that they recorded them (even the one's recorded by the guests) for a disc each for their personal collections, a lot of which was released on "As Time Goes By". This is one of the few sadly not yet released. With a bit of work, tidying it up a bit, this would sound beautiful:

6. John Adam

John Adam "We are observing your Forum".........Baby

Best (3) songs represent Richard as an arranger and producer.
    When It's Gone
    Close To You
    Hurting Each Other
    Best (3) songs represent Richard as a songwriter/recording artist
    Only Yesterday
    Goodbye To Love
    Yesterday Once More

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

An Old-Fashione Christmas
    Say Yeah!
    Toyland

8. ars nova

I think I understand some of Richard's actions; I don't think he has released on a carpenters' collection, his solo vocal unless karen is somehow involved in the recording. I respect his choice, however, TOYLAND is just perfect and should be released somewhere.

now that I have made this statement, I realize karen was not a part of the recording of the song AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS or the overture that opened the album.

so much for my thoughtfully constructed investigation into the mind of my genius fan-crush......baby

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

We got some of his solo vocal on “Collected” and “Ultimate Collection”.

But as far as the 1984 Overture goes, I always thought there might’ve been some Karen in the mix, but Richard mixed her in with the choir, so she doesn’t stand out.

10. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

His best vocals (as of today) IMHO;
    Nowadays Clancy... I'm liking his vocal on this song the more I hear it. Awesome song from "Offering", great harmonies.
    Turn Away - Pretty much the same as above.
    The Night Has A Thousand Eyes - Very respectable lead from him.

Arranger/Producer;
    Goodbye To Love - His title, his vision, his idea for that legendary guitar solo. A masterpiece.
    Superstar/Rainy Days & Mondays - Pop perfection. RC arrangements.
    Another Song - Brilliant underrated gem from "Close To You". Have to think it was Richard's idea.

I Might Also Add:
    This Masquerade - His brilliance as a keyboardist is cemented with that piano solo.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Geographer likes this.
  11. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

As singer: Absolutely nothing. That's not his gift.

As arranger: I agree with @Carpe diem that "This Masquerade" is just crazy good. I loved it when he left his choral thing behind and went jazzy. "Without A Song" is delicious a cappella goodness. "Ordinary Fool" might be Karen's defining moment but what really make it work is Richard's arrangement. He accentuates her tone and phrasing at every turn. Perfect collaboration of arranger and singer.

As producer: "Calling Occupants". The herculean task he took on is only made more impressive by the fact that he actually pulled it off.

Ed

12. Carpe diem

^^Ed, you always have strong comments which adds spice to this forum. Appreciated! Your new avatar is "interesting" to say the least...Getting ready for Thanksgiving?:laugh:

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  13. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

HA! Thanks! The avatar is courtesy of @Harry's collection of A&M sleeves. He posted it in the "45rpm sleeve" thread in the "Small Circle" forum and I loved it. It was the one I hadn't seen before.

Ed

Carpe diem, Rumbahbah and John Adam like this.
  14. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

That's the sleeve my UK copy of the 'Sing' single came in... I don't really understand the logic of it ('music good enough to eat'?), but still better than a generic plain sleeve I guess!

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  15. ScottyB

ScottyB Active Member

Great song. This one needs a proper release.

John Adam and Simon KC1950 like this.
  16. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Carpe diem, Mark-T and Jamesj75 like this.
  17. JayJayVA

JayJayVA Active Member

I like Richard's "O Come O Come Emanuel" from the Christmas album. "Saturday" is one that gives me the giggles

18. Carpe diem

It's always difficult for me to watch any Karen wedding videos. Such a somber event, it seems all the joy has been sucked-out of that ballroom. However, Richard does a very good job with that song and I think it meant a lot to Karen, from her reaction. Thanks for the post.