Richard's Christmas Album

KACE

I searched for this topic, but it didn't come up in the results....feel free to move/merge to an existing thread.

31392200_2169298999972225_7673328797973741568_n.jpg

This is something that's been in the works for about 10 years at least... theories abound on why it hasn't been released, all the way from "Richard isn't satisfied with it" to "No label will touch it" and everything in between. But we do know the project exists -- no less than Joe Osborn (bassist) talked about it in an online interview. He said the music was very complicated and he would rehearse his parts before going into the studio -- which he doesn't usually do.

Colin posted the photo and a couple more on his instagram page today. That's the only reason I posted here, because I know it's been in the works forever.

I wonder if this is connected to that photo from last year of Joe Osborn recording at session in Nashville? Of course it's to bad that Richard hasn't released as a single or even done a Carpenters Christmas compilation and included one or two new tracks like "December Morn" and "Christmas Turned Blue" (although versions of both appeared on Seiko Matsuda's Love album in 2000).

Also, whenever the album is released, I hope its more like Time where Richard actually sings on the tracks, and not like his 1997 PACC album.

I thought he might try and get this out for their 50th anniversary. . .sort of a last chance saloon with lots of free publicity.

When, if, released it may stand as the album with the longest gestation period in history. Weren't the first tracks laid down in like '99/'00?

I sure hope this album sees the light of day soon, and that Richard includes his wonderful rendition of "Toyland" from one of the Carpenters' Christmas-themed TV specials on it.

I know it won't happen but it's fun to discuss...if Richard were to have 1 more Christmas song with a Karen lead what could the title possibly be? We know they over recorded Christmas music.

I thought he might try and get this out for their 50th anniversary. . .sort of a last chance saloon with lots of free publicity.

When, if, released it may stand as the album with the longest gestation period in history. Weren't the first tracks laid down in like '99/'00?

I forgot to add that I'm very excited about this and truly hope it gets a release. Most likely Oct next year I presume.

Anything more you can tell us about this, Chris?

Honestly, I can only divulge what I've known over the years as this concept has progressed.

Initially some time back of course, Richard had several originals he'd written - some instrumental, some he was going to sing and then a few that would feature guest artists. At one point he was working with the late Jo Stafford, which I believe was for that project. I know some tracks were cut, but then didn't hear about it again.

Then a few years ago Joe Osborn and I were chatting one day and he was the one that actually told me that the concept (at that point) had changed. Richard had pulled in country singer Mandy Barnett who was responsible for most of the leads, and there were some instrumentals as well. In fact Joe laughed as he was telling me that there was one piece that was so intricate, that Richard couldn't play what he wrote!

Anyway, that's the last I'd heard of it until recently when he went back in to Capitol to work on some stuff. :santawave::phones::fiddle:

something wrong when the great Richard Carpenter can`t get a label to touch him, I`m surprised at that!

Just to clarify, I didn't say that, it was a rumor or speculation that was mentioned a few times. I would think any label would be glad to put it out.

Maybe Richard looked at Herb Alpert's new Christmas album (which he appeared on, too) and said "hey, I need to quit waiting and get mine out." Or maybe Herb encouraged him.

With all due respect, I hope his vocals were recorded early in the process. His voice was sounding quite shaky on the Como Medley. :sad:

Having one more Christmas Album with music written/produced/performed by Richard has been on my Christmas list every year since I first heard of the project.

I have no idea if there is any music with Karen that has not been released. I lean towards "no" as there were only 6 unreleased tracks on "An Old Fashioned Christmas" plus Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town. I would think, if others existed, they would have been included and there would have been have less medleys/instrumentals. However, there may be some uncompleted "work leads". So there is some hope. Either way, if new music comes our way, it certainly will be a "happy holiday"!

The song "Won't You Play A Simple Melody" was recorded by Karen, Agnes, Richard and Harold.

Richard said that Karen and Agnes sing first then he and his father sing. It was recorded for the Christmas Portrait Tv Special but was cut for time limits.

He said in the mook that it is an outtake that maybe could be released as a curiosity piece for something like a box set.... Maybe it would make a nice little bonus track for this album. It would be very touching, having his late parents and sister all singing together again at Christmas.
He said

I don't see this being a 50th anniversary release as it's not a Carpenters duo release. Id say it's billed as a RC release for Christmas 2018.

Releasing it for Christmas this year would be a great prelude to the Carpenters' 50th anniversary next year. And "Toyland" could be a hidden track on Richard's Christmas album. What a wonderful way to end 2018 that would be.

Mandy Barnett has a great country voice similar to Patsy Cline. It’s ‘old school country style’ even in her Christmas CD. I’m not sure it’s my cup of tea, (the extended country style vowel modifications get to me) but I do long for the instrumental songs Richard is orchestrating. I would love to hear him in the style of serious modern classical composer, and not so much of the smaltz effect as on the Old Fashioned Christmas album. (I did like the jazz piano influenced Santa on it, however.) The classical/jazz like composer I feel will sell better where a singer is not needed, for no one will compare to Karen and likewise comparisons that will discredit the effort would be avoided. We as fans, like it all, even the smaltz, but the buying public and critics will feel indifferent. However, a deeper involved music sensation that can stand alone or be addressed in the classical or jazz market will add credibility.

Back
Top Bottom