Richard's concert dates in Japan 1997?

Walkinat9

Hello all,

I was happy to be able to finally add several concert dates (on the Setlist.fm site) for Pat & Olivia, backing up Cliff Richard on his East Asia tour, 50 years ago this month. Cliff was refused entrance in Singapore and Korea because of his long hair (to Olivia's amusement, as told in this interview after the tour).

While doing this, I stumbled upon Richard Carpenter's 1997 Japan tour book on eBay. On one page there is a list of his concert dates there, so I was excited to add them to the Setlist.fm site as well. The thing is, it's all in Japanese. With a little help from Google Translate, Google Maps and an overview of Japanese katakana characters, I managed to get at least all of the cities where Richard played. So all 8 concerts have been added, but the venue names of two dates (March 9 & March 20) are still a mystery to me.
Is there anybody out there who can shine a light on this? Maybe there is a list of Richard's concerts there in English?

Also, did Richard have any (solo) concerts in Japan before or after 1997? Were any of them televised perhaps?

Greg (trying hard to keep his chin up)

Hello all,

I was happy to be able to finally add several concert dates (on the Setlist.fm site) for Pat & Olivia, backing up Cliff Richard on his East Asia tour, 50 years ago this month. Cliff was refused entrance in Singapore and Korea because of his long hair (to Olivia's amusement, as told in this interview after the tour).

While doing this, I stumbled upon Richard Carpenter's 1997 Japan tour book on eBay. On one page there is a list of his concert dates there, so I was excited to add them to the Setlist.fm site as well. The thing is, it's all in Japanese. With a little help from Google Translate, Google Maps and an overview of Japanese katakana characters, I managed to get at least all of the cities where Richard played. So all 8 concerts have been added, but the venue names of two dates (March 9 & March 20) are still a mystery to me.
Is there anybody out there who can shine a light on this? Maybe there is a list of Richard's concerts there in English?

Also, did Richard have any (solo) concerts in Japan before or after 1997? Were any of them televised perhaps?

Greg (trying hard to keep his chin up)
This was to promote Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor, and was kicked off by two dates at the Carpenters Performing Arts Center in Long Beach on February 14 & 15. I'll see if I can track down the remaining dates and footage.

This was to promote Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor, and was kicked off by two dates at the Carpenters Performing Arts Center in Long Beach on February 14 & 15. I'll see if I can track down the remaining dates and footage.
Thank you, Chris, that would be really great!! 😃

There’s a small snippet on the original VHS/DVD/Laserdisc of Close To You, the 1997 documentary. I don’t have the 2015 re-edit, but I think it was in there when I saw the documentary on PBS over the past few years for the Christmas broadcasts.

Here is an English translation for Greg.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Carpenter Japan Tour 1997

March 9
Tokyo: Nippon Budokan
organizer: TBS, J-WAVE

March 11 Tokyo: Orchard Hall

March 14 Sendai: Sunplaza Hall
organizer: TOHOKU BROADCASTING CO.,LTD.

March 15 Shizuoka: Shizuoka City Culture Hall
organizer: Shizuoka Daiichi Television Corporation

March 16 Tokyo: NHK Hall

March 18 Fukuoka: Sunpalace
organizer: FBS Fukuoka Broadcasting System Corporation

March 20 Nagoya: Aichi Prefectural Art Theater Concert Hall
organizer: Tokai Television Broadcasting Co., Ltd., FM AICHI

March 22 Osaka: Festival Hall
organizer: YOMIURI TELECASTING CORPORATION, fm osaka

Special Sponsor: ??? Service
Co-operation: Polydor Records
Promoter, Producer: H.I.P.

Richard did not have any (solo) concerts in Japan before or after 1997.
(But, he sometimes played piano on some Japanese TV shows.)

1997 solo concerts were not televised.
But, he perhaps appeared on some Japanese TV show then.

This is the a bonus footage for Greg (video uploader is not me).

(Richard sings along with 1974 concert video, and visits Downey High School.)

Here is an English translation for Greg.

Richard Carpenter Japan Tour 1997

March 9
Tokyo: Nippon Budokan

March 11 Tokyo: Orchard Hall

March 14 Sendai: Sunplaza Hall
organizer: TOHOKU BROADCASTING CO.,LTD.

March 15 Shizuoka: Shizuoka City Culture Hall
organizer: Shizuoka Daiichi Television Corporation

March 16 Tokyo: NHK Hall

March 18 Fukuoka: Sunpalace
organizer: FBS Fukuoka Broadcasting System Corporation

March 20 Nagoya: Aichi Prefectural Art Theater Concert Hall
organizer: Tokai Television Broadcasting Co., Ltd., FM AICHI

March 22 Osaka: Festival Hall
organizer: YOMIURI TELECASTING CORPORATION, fm osaka

Special Sponsor: ??? Service
Co-operation: Polydor Records
Promoter, Producer: H.I.P.

Richard did not have any (solo) concerts in Japan before or after 1997.
(But, he sometimes played piano on some Japanese TV shows.)

1997 solo concerts were not televised.
But, he perhaps appeared on some Japanese TV show then.

This is the a bonus footage for Greg (video uploader is not me).

(Richard sings along with 1974 concert video, and visits Downey High School.)

Thank you for all the translated information, lotus, and for the bonus video! I think I've seen it quite a few years ago, but the quality was certainly not as good as what you just posted here, so thanks so much for that too!! 🤩

Okay, I wasn't sure if perhaps I should have started a new thread with the same question but this time for the year 1988.
I just read an newspaper article from February 1988 about Richard recording his solo album. It also said:

"Carpenter is producing an album for Japanese singer Akiko Kobayashi, who he claims has a voice similar to Karen's. And in March, Richard will go to Japan to promote "Time" and embark on his first solo tour. He will not, however, sing any of the Carpenters' songs. "I'll play (on piano) the old favorites, but I won't sing them because Karen's voice should be doing those", he explains. "

So, would any of you know of any of Richard's concert dates (with venues) in Japan from Spring 1988? Or were all of these television performances only?
Would be great to add these to the Setlist.fm site as well :)

Greg

I researched about the 1988 Richard's Japan tour.
According to the KYODO MAGAZINE MOOK21 (compiled by Yuko Ogura) and YouTube videos, there were at least two TV appearances & one concert.

March 16 Fuji Television Network, Inc. TV show "Yoru no Hit Studio"
March 23 NHK hall, Tokyo, A concert with Akiko Kobayashi
March 25 Akiko Kobayashi's album "City Of Angels" was released
April 30 NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation), TV show "Yuzo Kayama show" (filmed during the rehearsal for the March 23 concert)

Here is the footage from the March 16 performance.

Here is the link for the "Yuzo Kayama show" titled "Carpenters Once More" aired on April 30, 1988.
(part.1) JAMBALAYA - Carpenters Song Medley
(part.2) SING - Talk, Sing & Piano playing
(part.3) CLOSE TO YOU - TOP OF THE WORLD

I researched about the 1988 Richard's Japan tour.
According to the KYODO MAGAZINE MOOK21 (compiled by Yuko Ogura) and YouTube videos, there were at least two TV appearances & one concert.

March 16 Fuji Television Network, Inc. TV show "Yoru no Hit Studio"
March 23 NHK hall, Tokyo, A concert with Akiko Kobayashi
March 25 Akiko Kobayashi's album "City Of Angels" was released
April 30 NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation), TV show "Yuzo Kayama show" (filmed during the rehearsal for the March 23 concert)

Here is the footage from the March 16 performance.

Here is the link for the "Yuzo Kayama show" titled "Carpenters Once More" aired on April 30, 1988.
(part.1) JAMBALAYA - Carpenters Song Medley
(part.2) SING - Talk, Sing & Piano playing
(part.3) CLOSE TO YOU - TOP OF THE WORLD

Thank you so much, lotus, for all the info (I can add another concert date for Richard on Selist.fm now) and videos! 😃😃🤩
I had never seen his appearance on the Yuzo Kayama Show before. Such a joy seeing Richard play some classical music (wish he would do that more often, I loved that "Rhapsody in Blue" bit, was way too short!). And to also hear him talk about his musical influences (playing and singing some of them) and mentioning Scott Grimes and the Karen Carpenter TV movie.
Great to hear what "Sing" might have sounded like as a classical piece for 2 pianos in some concert hall in the 19th century 🎹🎹

Domo arigato!! 🙏🤓

Back
Top Bottom