Richard’s DeSoto For Sale

I thought that someone was talking about Roy DeSoto (Kevin Tighe of the NBC TV show "Emergency!" from 1972 - 1977). Umm Rampart this is Rescue 51, Squad 51 or County 51!!

What happened to Karen’s cars?

Richard sold the 1979 Jaguar Karen owned, but I believe he still owns her Mercedes 350SL.

"Karen was into automobiles to a degree. Growing up she knew her Chevys, Fords, Plymouths, Cadillacs, etc, and knew her model years, but not things like engine size and various models. She liked her '72 Mercedes 350SL, got it new and kept it. Along with that in '79 she bought a Jaguar XJS – I had one, she borrowed it while her Mercedes was in the shop, and liked the way it drove".

Carpenters Fans Ask- Richard Answers, May 2005

Beautiful car. I wonder if Richard took those photos himself in front of his house.

I read today that Jeff Foxworthy of "You may be a redneck" fame is having an estate sale when he is still alive. Nothing more pathetic than that. You usually have to die first before your widow or children start auctioning off your stuff. Is Richard doing the same thing here?

Beautiful car. I wonder if Richard took those photos himself in front of his house.

Read the article. It says "reportedly" owned by Richard Carpenter. The pictures were probably taken by the dealer trying to sell it.

Read the article. It says "reportedly" owned by Richard Carpenter. The pictures were probably taken by the dealer trying to sell it.
The car is being sold by "Motor City Classic Cars" of Vero Beach, Florida. Their eBay listing states: "Once owned by famous musician Richard Carpenter, a framed picture of the artist and the vehicle's California title remains with the vehicle. " For all we know, Richard could have sold this car years, maybe decades, ago, and it may have been through several owners since then.

Here's the link to the eBay listing:

Richard's former DeSoto on eBay

Actually saw this car in person at Richard's warehouse during a private tour last April. Highly unlikely he's having an estate sale, he's very savvy with his collection and I'm betting he sold it recently because he received an offer he could not pass up. In addition, he stated on Jay Leno's Garage that none of his children are into cars so maybe he slowly trimming the collection down to a more manageable number. Serious collectors will also turnover certain vehicles in order to purchase something else they have a newer passion for.

Wow Portlander, you got a private tour last April during the height of the Covid 19 outbreak? Man, I wish I could've been there! I was hoping that he could've opened up the place during the 50th Anniversary celebration in April 2019 but that wasn't going to happen! But good on you! Where do I sign-up?!

My bad. It was the April of 2019 during the 50th Anniversary celebration, the pandemic is causing me to lose track of time. Was asked to keep the visit low key because Richard and his staff did not want the masses converging on the property which was understandable. So I struggled to not share my good fortune throughout the entire 3 day event. Nick and Millie were also present for the tour and didn't spill the beans either. The last thing the three of us wanted was to create a reason for an envious Carpenter fan beat down in the hotel parking lot!

Still have some amazing photos and videos that I will not release because I gave my word. Stephan, our private tour just finished as Billy and I think it was you pulled into Richard's parking lot but we couldn't say anything. And I offered Billy a ride to the warehouse earlier but he declined because he was waiting for you to arrive at the hotel. Remember, I didn't put your name and face together until the third day : )

Last edited:
^^ And to think I've talked sh#t about Richard snubbing the masses...I should've tagged along with you...

^^ And to think I've talked sh#t about Richard snubbing the masses...I should've tagged along with you...
But, he DID snub the masses! :laugh: However, he did NOT snub the individuals (well, three of them anyway)...

Actually, I don't blame Richard one bit, for not wanting a whole tour group of rabid Carpenters fans in his warehouse. If he had turned his back, you lot would have stolen Karen's chrome! :D

Last edited:
I want to make it clear that during the visit Richard was not at the Yesterday Once More warehouse. It was a matter of determination, good timing, finding an open side entrance, my personal love of automobiles and a dose of skillful influence and politeness that resulted in the three of us receiving the tour. The warehouse was number one on my list of priorities during the trip to California and it was actually the first stop I made early the next morning many hours before the 3 PM event check in. I flew in a day early to increase my odds off pulling this mission off.

The staff was aware and very appreciative of the upcoming 50th celebration but it was determined earlier that busloads of fans may create possible security issues that Richard would be uncomfortable with. Met Nick and Millie (Florida) the evening prior and told them of my plans for the next morning and offered them the opportunity to tag along and I also invited Billy who declined for reasons previously mentioned.

The De Soto was in the far corner of the warehouse at the time and we actually spent a few minutes admiring the vehicle, observing the swing out driver's seat and learning about it's history from our outstanding guide who will remain nameless. Karen's Mercedes 350SL was in it's own private section and was in flawless condition. I would have made numerous back and forth trips with fellow fans in my rental car to see the collection if I could have received permission to do so. My apologies for mixing up the April's in my earlier post.

our private tour just finished as Billy and I think it was you pulled into Richard's parking lot but we couldn't say anything. And I offered Billy a ride to the warehouse earlier but he declined because he was waiting for you to arrive at the hotel.

Nope, wasn’t me! Great to hear your account of the warehouse visit though. I’m jealous :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom