Richard's early East Coast recordings...

Walkinat9

Hi all,

I'm sure that many of you are aware of Richard's piano playing with New Haven group The Barries in the early 1960s, as is also mentioned in Ray Coleman's book "Carpenters - The Untold Story", on p.44.
In a BBC interview from years ago, Richard mentions the songs "Why don't you write me" and "Mary Ann" that were on the record:

"Why don't you write me" (with Richard's flourish on the piano a la Jerry Lee Lewis)

Flipside "Mary Ann"

Does anyone know if Richard recorded more sides with this group? (Apparently Jim Squeglia played the drums. He would later briefly tour with the Carpenters as their drummer using the name Jim Anthony, in the early '70s)

But...to my happy surprise, when reading the news article from '63 about Richard (in Chris'/Mike's/Richard's book "The Musical Legacy", p.21), it seems that another record was made in '62 or '63. In the article it says that Richard had a rock 'n' roll combo (does anyone know of a name??) that cut a record of Richard's own "The Strut". Anybody know if this would have been a private recording or was this disc actually released? And on which label?

Greg

Back
Top Bottom