Richard's Junior Juke and music entertainment in the New Haven home...

Walkinat9

Hi all,

After reading about Richard's "Bing Crosby Junior Juke" record player that he talked about in the Musical Legacy Book on page 18 (with a photo of it on page 20), I got curious what it looked and sounded like. Luckily there are several photos on it online and also a few videos on YouTube.

Although there are some videos out there that show how it lights up (like this one), the video beneath is the best for seeing the details:

What I also like about this particular video is that I finally got to hear what the original tune was like, after Richard played an instrumental snippet of it on the Live In Japan album, after Karen introduced Cubby O'Brien :)

On the photo of Richard with his Junior Juke he is actually holding the Spike Jones album (of two 78rpm discs) that he mentioned on p.18:
OC0yMzE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

All four sides can be listened to on the Discogs page, in the Videos section.
Any Dutch fans that read this and remember the "Playback Show" (which was on Dutch TV in the 1980s), will probably recognize the last sounds on Spike Jones' "Hawaiian War Chant" 😉

So, does anyone know what kind of record player was in the Carpenters' home in New Haven?
Richard probably had a record changer?

I only read about the 1937 Zenith radio console. I don't know which model it was, but the ones I found look mighty pretty:
Model 6-S-152
Model 8S154
Model 106153

Anyway, all the best wishes to you all for a Happy, Healthy and Music-filled New Year!! 🍾 🎶 🎉

Greg (playing 78s on his portable wind-up gramophone 🥸 )

Back
Top Bottom