RISE Ad Spot 1979

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member

I never saw this at the time, as I spent the academic year ('79-'80) at Northwestern U. in the Chicago suburbs. To me, the stores in the ad were Tri-State (NY, NJ, CT).

Rise 1b.jpg
Herb on RISE promo tour (Oct. '79) - Rose Records, Chicago - full frame: Lani near left and A&M staffer on Herb's left, Harold Childs.

Rise 4a.jpg

Last edited:
Behind Herb in the record racks you can see Paul Williams' AN OLD FASHIONED LOVE SONG album.

They filed their stock by label and catalog number - never saw it anywhere else before or since. You can see the A&M dividers in the rack.

The legendary Rose Records! Never got a chance to visit their stores while they were still around.

Don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but while searching for information on Rose Records, this came up on Google:

Is that William "Rosko" Mercer doing the voiceover for the ad? It sounds like his voice. For those who don't know, he was a well-known disc jockey at the time, first broadcasting on WOR-FM, and then WNEW-FM in the late 1960s, and early 1970s, helping to pioneer the genre of Progressive rock. By the time of this ad, he would have moved on to WKTU 92.3 FM (later to have the slogan, "The beat of New York").

Rise... available at EJ Korvettes...the "largest record department in the world". (i.e. vs. Sam Goody record  stores; anyone remember them?)

I remember waiting on line with the Christmas album at Korvettes, and they had a display next to the line, and many people in front of me picked up the Christmas album while waiting on line with the other albums they were purchasing.

They couldn't restock his albums fast enough.

Rise... available at EJ Korvettes...the "largest record department in the world". (i.e. vs. Sam Goody record  stores; anyone remember them?)

I remember waiting on line with the Christmas album at Korvettes, and they had a display next to the line, and many people in front of me picked up the Christmas album while waiting on line with the other albums they were purchasing.

They couldn't restock his albums fast enough.
Yes, I remember them both quite well.

I enjoyed that Paul Williams album! And while you can't see what is directly behind Herb, the next bin over is Cockrell & Santos A New Beginning, a rather enjoyable (with a gamut of musical categories explored) by Pablo Cruise's original bassist (Bud Cockrell) and It's a Beautiful Day's Patti Santos.

--Mr. Bill

Since I love "fixing" photos in Photoshop, here are the two photos with the color tweaked to be more natural, and a little sharpness added:

AlpertRiseSigning2.jpg

AlpertRiseSigning.jpg

When I removed a lot of the redness of the second photo, it became obvious to me that Herb was signing a copy of the TJB's GREATEST HITS. Before, it was just buried in the red shading.

Back
Top Bottom