"Rise" LP for $50!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Bacardi said:
Oooooh, lookie! You can now own the Rise LP for a mere $50!

Cool! Let's bid on it! I'm sure it's a far better piece of vinyl than the audiophile version I picked up for $10!

Captain Bacardi said:
It's got that word 'rare' in the description, too. Oooooh! :shock:

Puhleeze. It's nowhere near as rare as Whipped Cream, though.

Captain Bacardi said:
...full of pith and sarcasm online... :twisted:

Ya think? I'd be pithed, too, if I had to thpend 50 dollarth on thith thupid overprithed LP.

-= N =-
Lithp? What Lithp?

Some where I have a "Rise" single, but it's a 33rpm. Side one is a long club mix of Rise, and Side two is a long Spanish instrumental (don't remember the title) done in disco and the disc is clear. I never really played it much. Is it worth anything? Maybe $6.95? :D Later...Jay

I believe that would be SP-12022, where Side One is the album-length version of "Rise" and Side Two is the longer disco mix of "Aranjuez (Mon Amour)".

I just recently acquired that one myself. I love the mix on "Aranjuez". $6.95 would about cover the value of this one. I think it was pretty common.

Harry
NP: "Aranjuez"

I think I may have two copies of that one--my original 12" single, black, from when it first came out. A few years ago, I located the clear vinyl version. Didn't pay more than a few bucks for it even then.

"Rise" is the album version. "Aranjuez", to me, also sounds like the album version on the 12" single. As often as I played it when it first came out, I never heard anything jump out on the album that was (or wasn't) there on the single.

-= N =-
...who needs to schedule a comparative listening session...

Rudy said:
"Aranjuez", to me, also sounds like the album version on the 12" single. As often as I played it when it first came out, I never heard anything jump out on the album that was (or wasn't) there on the single.
...who needs to schedule a comparative listening session...

The differences are more subtle than I thought. In fact, the album version is longer by :43. On the album, there's a slower dramatic build-up to the song that was excized from the single version. Later on, about two minutes in, another section is chopped out of the single version as it goes into the Latin-rhythmic middle portion earlier than the album counterpart. Then, after the melody returns, a section in the single version eliminates some of the string/synth backing that's present on the album. Finally toward the end, the album version has a slower, more gradual fade than the single version, which stays at the higher volume level and fades more quickly.

The end result is that the single edit seems to have more energy, though the CD version has better bass sound to it.

Harry
...doing comparisons, online...

The 7" single had some heavy editing, IIRC, for both sides. I remember buying both singles as they came out, and they had a lot of play around the house. :D

-= N =-

Rudy said:
The 7" single had some heavy editing, IIRC, for both sides. I remember buying both singles as they came out, and they had a lot of play around the house. :D

Alpert mentioned in an interview that he "cheated" on the "Aranjuez" mix to keep DJs from flipping from "Rise".

Capt. Bacardi

Didn't they both appear on the same single? My favorite part of "Rise" is where Mike Lang either drops something on the keyboard or gets a "finger cramp" on the last piano break and hits a noticeable "clinker". It doesn't really sound all that bad, but I'm sure he didn't intend for the solo to turn out that way. Herb must have been satisfied with the overall sound, because it's STILL on record after 23 years[does it really seem that long ago that we first heard Rise?]. I just wonder if anyne besides me cringes
when they hear it? :confused:

Dan, who couldn't have done any better himself....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom