RITA COOLIDGE-THE FORGOTTEN A&M ARTIST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't it? It remained "on track" for a very short time...and the people that took it "off track" were the Neil and the mods...LOL!! That's the beauty of a forum, really. It occurred naturally. People's minds bounce from thought to thought and this thread reflects that very human tendency. Gotta love it.

Ed

When visiting California last summer I picked up Rita Coolidge's latest album "And So Is Love" from 2005. It is an album with jazz standards, including a new jazzy version of "We're all alone". Herb Alpert plays a lovely trumpet solo on the track "Estaté" which is the highlight of the album for me.

- greetings from the cold and snowy north-

Martin

mr J. said:
I've noticed(over the years) that there's never been any discussion or posts on Rita Coolidge.She was one of the few "long enduring" A&M artists,spending 14 years with the label(1970-1984).A curious fact about Rita is She's never had a single album on CD!Two excellent compilations were available in the late 80's(Greatest Hits and Classics-now out-of-print).Universal issued a double-disc anthology in 2004,but the track selection was a little dissapointing compared with the earlier compilations.A few CD reissues on Rita are long overdue(best picks:The Lady's Not For Sale"(1972),"Nice Feelin"(1971)and "Inside The Fire"(1984)

I firmly agree with you. Very little of Rita's A&M catalog has seen the light of CD day. Back in the mid-90's, her first three albums were reissued on CD in Japan: Rita Coolidge, Nice Feelin', and The Lady's Not for Sale. The first title remained in print for quite a long time, but the latter two went out of print after just a couple of years. Too bad since they were excellent albums (actually better than her debut, in my opinion).

Only three other A&M albums of hers have ever been on CD: Anytime...Anywhere, Love Me Again, and Satisfied. Apparently they came out on CD in Japan sometime in the 80's and are now extremely difficult to find on CD. The rest of her A&M catalog (including my favorite album of hers, It's Only Love) has never been on CD before.

I've been waiting patiently for years for Rita's A&M albums to get some sort of digital release, but I don't know if it will ever happen. I think the only other A&M artist whose catalog has been neglected more is Lani Hall.

C & T are getting all of their stuff released through R2 Ent. Rita Coolige has a new CD out, she is now signed to Concord Records, but her A & M albums are not on CD yet. It's hard to believe Universal hasn't released them at least once.

Looks like Rita is NOT a "forgotten" artist after all...

At least not since "We're All Alone" was playing at the JoAnne Fabrics store... (Though I wonder if it was a radio broadcast or if the chain has its own "music network"...)

Probably not since we had a good Pop/MOR station on the FM radio, have I ever heard this one coming on the airwaves... (At a small, single-owned proprietorship-office I briefly worked at...)

Dave

Rita Coolidge was always a huge adult contemporary artist through the years - "Higher and Higher" and "We're All Alone" were mainstays of the format, as were (to a lesser extent) "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "All Time High", and several others......not the flashiest performer of all time (does anybody else remember an SCTV skit about her and Anne Murray on tour?) but a solid, cool sound and a sweet, gracious person....

Her album THE LADY'S NOT FOR SALE had one of my favorite A&M covers. Also, her song "A Song I'd Like to Sing" (with Kris Kristofferson on the album FULL MOON) has a cool Herb Alpert trumpet solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom