ROAD ODE...song

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam89

I think the gem on the A SONG FOR YOU album has got to be this song. I think it has such raw energy in it. It makes you feel for them as artists, at how their job is to perform their music to thousands every night, and how tired they feel, and want to be home. The price of fame. This song almost sounds bitter, but in a good way. It had passion in it, but Karen's voice sounds tiring...well, not her voice, but her portrayal in this song is probably supposed to sound world weary and draining. A fantastic song...and the song segues into A SONG FOR YOU(reprise) which I just adore. This song was used in THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY at the end, when Karen walks up the stairs to her bedroom on Feb 3, 1983. I love the echo and the sentiments...very eerily done..."And when my life is over...remember when we were together...we were alone and I was singing this song for you..."

My thoughts,
Cameron
[email protected]

cam89 said:
I think the gem on the A SONG FOR YOU album has got to be this song. I think it has such raw energy in it. It makes you feel for them as artists, at how their job is to perform their music to thousands every night, and how tired they feel, and want to be home. The price of fame. This song almost sounds bitter, but in a good way. It had passion in it, but Karen's voice sounds tiring...well, not her voice, but her portrayal in this song is probably supposed to sound world weary and draining...

You know, recently I've been listening to A Song For You in my car. I have a 45-minute commute to the airport where I'm based. "Road Ode" is absolutely one of my favorite songs on the album. Then again, when it comes to A Song For You, there are many gems to be had. "Crystal Lullaby" is goosebump material all the way across the board.

Funny story: I received A Song For You as a Christmas gift the year it was released. It was Christmas Eve and I remember that we were allowed to open one present before retiring for the night...I opened A Song For You. Of course, I plopped into bed donning my headphones to listen through it for the first time. When they got to "Intermission," I recall thinking, "It would be so funny if they sang We'll be right back after we go to the bathroom," and that's exactly what they said! I laughed myself to sleep that Christmas, although my hopes and dreams of becoming a great songwriter ended with those lyrics I'd so cleverly predicted. :wink:

Jon

...heading for the bathroom, offline...

Brasil_Nut said:
When they got to "Intermission," I recall thinking, "It would be so funny if they sang We'll be right back after we go to the bathroom," and that's exactly what they said!

I believe that Karen & Richard's message on "Intermission" is somewhat lost on the CD generation. They can't identify with getting up to flip over the record, hence the 'break in the action.'

"Road Ode" is a terrific song, and it does explain where their heads were 'at' at that stage of the game. It's a perfect ending to a perfect album (with the added reprise of course).

Harry
...one of the endless faces wearing a smile, online...

Harry said:
I believe that Karen & Richard's message on "Intermission" is somewhat lost on the CD generation. They can't identify with getting up to flip over the record, hence the 'break in the action.'

I believe you're right. My niece is 21-years-old, so she knows what an "Lp" is. On the other hand, her 15-year-old brother thinks of them as quaint antiques. Being as his father is a DJ, Michael is fully aware of what a record "does." It's just that I don't believe he has ever seen one play. Greg (my brother-in-law) went to discs long before Michael was even born. :wink:

Jon

harry,

i just read your post and it is only now that i realise exactly why they had the intermission on the record!

my first carpenters record was the greatest hits, on tape-i was 7 yrs old. now i'. 23 yrs old ( aaahhh!) and it's hard for me to remember listening to my old tapes.

it makes so much more sense now :)

grainne.
'feeling very young for a change:)'

Hi Grainne,

So now you understand the concept of "Intermission." That's a good thing!

I hope your weather will be good in late May. We're headed over to Ireland for a week's vacation from the 22nd to the 29th. Looking forward to seeing some of the sites in your country.

Harry
...heading home now, online...

hey harry,

the weather is really nice here at the moment and hopefully it will stay that way! but bring lots of jumpers and rain gear just in case!

you heading to dublin or into the countryside?!

Grainne said:
hey harry,

the weather is really nice here at the moment and hopefully it will stay that way! but bring lots of jumpers and rain gear just in case!

you heading to dublin or into the countryside?!

We're on a tour, starting in Clare, then to Dublin, and then to Killarney, Kerry.

Here's our itinerary:

http://www.getours.com/tours/2003/get03.shtml?isp

Where are you based?

Harry
...leaving one week from this moment, online...

harry,

i had a look at your itinerary, sounds like you're going to have a great time!!

bunratty castle in clare is great, as are the cliffs of moher. Cashel in Co.Tipperary is a beautiful, busy town . My sister lives there and its a great place.

The only place you may be disappointed in is Dublin. At the moment it's going through a rough patch! the main street- OConnel St, is being reworked- new roads etc. but its going to look fantastic when its finished! the traffic in dublin is also crazy, but for all that , it's the best place in the world!!!

you should try and visit Kilmanham Jail in Dublin, where the leaders of the 1916 rising where imprisoned and excuted. It played a major role in the shaping of an independant Ireland and is well worth a visit. also make sure to go for a pint in one of the many pubs in temple bar- an area located in the heart of the city.

you might also want to check out the national museum where there is a Paul Henry exhibition on at the moment. Henry is a famous Irish landscape painter.

you're going to have a terrific time!

Grainne, maybe you can help me...this is probably Scottish and not Irish, but I've always wondered about the Paul McCartney song MULL OF KINTYRE...is that a place? Does it mean anything ? It's one of my favorites of his...

Dan

Yes you're correct Mull of Kintyre is a real place in Scotland..it's really tranquil and beautiful too!

newvillefan said:
Yes you're correct Mull of Kintyre is a real place in Scotland..it's really tranquil and beautiful too!

Thanks...I'll have to get my atlas down from the shelf and look it up...if it's anything like the song decribes it, it must be a beautiful place...

Dan, hoping to visit someday...
NP PAUL McCARTNEY/Mull of Kintyre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom