Road Ode

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I recently purchased the remastered version of A Song for You. I fell in love with it. I especially like Road Ode. I was wondering if it had ever been remixed and if so where can I find it? :goodie:

I'll let Harry handle the smaller details. :wink: Which version did you buy? If you bought it on vinyl, or on the Remastered Classics CDs, you'd have the originally released version. Other CD versions of this album featured a remix...or more appropriately, a tweaking/modernizing by Richard in the studio. I prefer the originals, but the newer versions do sound arguably better sonically.

Certainly there is one remixed version you can find, on the UK release 'Treasures', which is NOT to be confused with the Japanese double CD of the same name..(although is it on there too?).

It's nicer because it's not linked to Crystal Lullaby, so you get the song completely as a separate track in its own right, with a remixed piano which rounds out the song with that delicate little twist of notes on their own as the song draws to a close.

Stephen

Stephen is correct - the remixed version of "Road Ode" appears on the UK-issued Treasures (PWKS-4089). It's a single disc of 16 tracks that A&M Licensed to Pickwick. An interesting mix of songs on that one, some album tracks, some favorites, and some hits. The song does NOT appear on the Japanese two-disc Treasures. The UK album seems to be largely unavailable from most sites. I see it's still listed on the UK version of amazon.com, but oddly the track listing is in a jumbled order. I wonder if Pickwick re-issued it with the same catalog number with a different track listing, or if the UK amazon got it wrong.

Another album with a "Road Ode" remix on it is the Japanese By Request, a disc of fan favorites from a write-in campaign from 2000. You might see this listed on some online sites as Evergreen even though it was never released as such. That particular oddity comes about from confusion over what the two "new" releases from 2000 would be called. At one stage, the name Evergreen was going to be used for one of them, but the final names chosen were By Request and As Time Goes By. Still the old name survives in a Muse© database somewhere.

Photo of By Request:
B00001OH5P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

By the way, I love "Road Ode". It was always a favorite from the excellent A Song For You album. All versions of that album (including the MSFL release) contain the original mix of the song. I'm pretty sure it's the only track they did that was composed by Carpenters' touring band members Gary Sims and Dan Woodhams. The song's lyrics give a true picture of where the group's heads were at during the heavy touring phase.

Harry
NP: "Road Ode" - Carpenters

Yes , Great Remix of Road Ode on UK Treaures -Which is Currently Unavailable.Issued in 1991 , this is a Fine Set of Singles and Album Favourites Compiled by Richard :)

Collectors Stores Still have Copies and as Harry Mentioned , this Remix is Available on Japanese By Request Set (2000) -Which has Become Another Recent Personal Favourite Release -Great Collection of Classics and Collected Album Tracks :)

Peter

"Road Ode" was also released as the B-side of their 1973 hit single "Yesterday Once More" (AM-1446-S). I'll have to listen to that side as well as the A Song For You configuration thereof (amazingly, to date I haven't!) to see the subtle differences.

I've always loved this track since the first time I heard it.

Come to think of it, the title Evergreen was originally going to be used for this compilation that came to be called By Request.
Then Richard liked the former and wanted to use it for the new release that eventually is called As Time Goes By after he gave a second thought.

Another note for Singles 1969-1981: He prepared an instrumental medley of Carpenters hits for inclusion in that set and did so but then again he changed his idea and thought of adding it to the top of As Time Goes By.
However, this new release had some problems with Universal and you know the rest of the history.
After all, Singles 1969-1981 was released without the medley and with two different cover photos, the first of which Richard didn't seem to like it and later replaced with the famous Rolling Stone cover photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom